It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #16
(female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User
Re: Awful Treatment

Unfortunately becoming dependent on Opiate pain meds comes with the territory. By no means does that mean that we all are "addicts.". I too have days where I don't need to take all three of my break through pills but I make sure I DO take my 2 long acting meds as I know without them my pain would not allow me to work, which is a necessity. My doctor and I have switched things around during the 5 years I have been seeing her so I have also only had 2 increases during the last 5 years. Just because my body reacts physically when it is time for the next dose of my medication does NOT mean I am addicted. On my good days I can take my long acting med along with Aleve or Advil.

The following user gives a hug of support to ncmommakat:
lynn006 (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #17
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User
Smile Re: Awful Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmommakat View Post
Unfortunately becoming dependent on Opiate pain meds comes with the territory. By no means does that mean that we all are "addicts.". I too have days where I don't need to take all three of my break through pills but I make sure I DO take my 2 long acting meds as I know without them my pain would not allow me to work, which is a necessity. My doctor and I have switched things around during the 5 years I have been seeing her so I have also only had 2 increases during the last 5 years. Just because my body reacts physically when it is time for the next dose of my medication does NOT mean I am addicted. On my good days I can take my long acting med along with Aleve or Advil.
can I ask what type of long acting med you are on? I see a regular doctor and take percocet 10/325 he gives me enough for two thee times per day and have taken the same for over a year slowly I have increased to the max allowed and lately it is not enough I count the hours until my next allowed dose and they don't work well at all any more. Takes my normal every day pain from a seven to a six if I am lucky and during bad times from a nine to an eight and not for very long. I know meds should not make you pain free butt they use to take me to a manageable level. That is a lot of meds to take for little relief and thought if I had a longer acting med so I don't have to take so much of the tylenol and oxy would be better. I don't mind talking to my doctor but don't know what to say or what to ask for. Thanks and sorry for stealing the thread. Sounds like you are able to control you pain and I would love to be thee too.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #18
(female)

lynn006 HB User

Hi sandiemas, about you already taking the Max dose and u counting the hours is unfortunately the addiction...like u said in the beginning it worked then u had to increase and increase. I'm not a Dr., just have always been interested in medicine, I would read medical books since before there were computers and have been in pain, most times servere pain but I know too much to ever become addicted to any pain medication. I am addicted to Temazapam and maybe requip but I have weaned off Tamazapam a couple of times. The only thing I can think of is to slowly wean yourself of the percocet (with your drs help if possible) and start a new drug while your doing it so the detox shouldn't be so bad. If it was me I would have a couple even a few different meds like I've been saying. And just switch off back and forth. You really don't have to take pills constantly unless u want to and I choose not to. The most I ever take in a day is like 2 & 1/2 because I know too much!
I use Vicoprofen, percocet, avinsa, oxcontin, vicodin, muscle relaxers and OTC pain pills. My sister was addicted to vicoden and added percocet for break through pain(not listening to me or anyone else) and got sick, mentally sick from all the hiding and finding drugs she became paranoid, unbelievably paranoid!!!!! And not listening to anyone she finally became a paranoid schizophrenic. I have more stories that are hard to believe too...

Last edited by lynn006; 07-03-2012 at 12:26 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to lynn006 For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
(female)

I am now on long acting Opana ER 20 mg twice a day. I have tried the cheaper meds like Extended release morphine but the potty issues were a major problem. Fentanyl ptach was out because I was going thru menopause and the hot flashes caused an increase n the med to be released. We have found this med to give me the best long acting relief. We did increase it from 10 mg three times a day to 20 mg twice a day AFTER they changed the formula but it works. I have 10 mg Norco for BT pain as needed

Last edited by ncmommakat; 07-03-2012 at 12:39 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ncmommakat For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
(female)

Have to disagree with you on the addiction part you keep insisting on mentioning. Just because one becomes immune to the effects of a medication after taking the same dosage for so long does NOT mean addiction. It simply means the medication is no longer effective. It is best that Sandiemas explain to her Doctor the high level of percocet is not working and she wishes to have more around the clock pain control WITHOUT counting the hours until the next pill.That also is NOT ADDICTION. Everyone knows that the short acting meds only last a few hours AT THE MOST but are presribed to be taken every 4-6. Someone can change around their opiate medications every week, every day every month whatever BUT as soon as you stop these medications cold turkey you WILL suffer withdrawals. That is NOT ADDICTION. That is dependence where your body depends on that medication and the opiate receptors cry out for relief. Addiction is where a person will lie, steal, Doctor shop, take more than prescribed ANYTHING AT ALL all for the HIGH...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ncmommakat For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (07-03-2012), Whynowthis (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #21
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn006 View Post
Hi sandiemas, about you already taking the Max dose and u counting the hours is unfortunately the addiction...like u said in the beginning it worked then u had to increase and increase. I'm not a Dr., just have always been interested in medicine, I would read medical books since before there were computers and have been in pain, most times servere pain but I know too much to ever become addicted to any pain medication. I am addicted to Temazapam and maybe requip but I have weaned off Tamazapam a couple of times. The only thing I can think of is to slowly wean yourself of the percocet (with your drs help if possible) and start a new drug while your doing it so the detox shouldn't be so bad. If it was me I would have a couple even a few different meds like I've been saying. And just switch off back and forth. You really don't have to take pills constantly unless u want to and I choose not to. The most I ever take in a day is like 2 & 1/2 because I know too much!
I use Vicoprofen, percocet, avinsa, oxcontin, vicodin, muscle relaxers and OTC pain pills. My sister was addicted to vicoden and added percocet for break through pain(not listening to me or anyone else) and got sick, mentally sick from all the hiding and finding drugs she became paranoid, unbelievably paranoid!!!!! And not listening to anyone she finally became a paranoid schizophrenic. I have more stories that are hard to believe too...

I was off the percs for about three weeks just a month ago but going back on them I have noticed they aren't working, hence the question. I will talk to my doctor next visit. I don't like taking them but without I can not do much but lay in bed which doesn't help me our my family at all. Again, hence the question.lol I don't know if I it was going off and back on or just tolerance build up but since my surgery two years ago I have been taking the same thing. pain is a terrible thing to live with I do daily yoga, accupuncture, massage, trigger points, pt, hot/cold packs, rice socks, topical ointments any and everything I can think of read about, told about for relief so I am not just relying on pain meds.
That is my last resort but I cannot walk, breath most of the time without them. The pain is to the point of tears, vomiting, bad moods, the works! so as you can see I am just trying to survive with some quality of life, I have kids, husband, and grandchildren who count on me for a clean home, dinner, laundry, shopping, medical appts, two of my kiddos are special needs and require alot of care. We adopted them before all this started and feel it is important to give them the qualify of life we promise when agreed to and them to our family. They are super special and deserve the best of what we have to offer. Sorry for the rant. But thanks for listening. A little off topic... Butt thanks for the info I will tall to my pcp next month.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Last edited by sandiemas; 07-03-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
(female)

Talking Re: Awful Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmommakat View Post
Have to disagree with you on the addiction part you keep insisting on mentioning. Just because one becomes immune to the effects of a medication after taking the same dosage for so long does NOT mean addiction. It simply means the medication is no longer effective. It is best that Sandiemas explain to her Doctor the high level of percocet is not working and she wishes to have more around the clock pain control WITHOUT counting the hours until the next pill.That also is NOT ADDICTION. Everyone knows that the short acting meds only last a few hours AT THE MOST but are presribed to be taken every 4-6. Someone can change around their opiate medications every week, every day every month whatever BUT as soon as you stop these medications cold turkey you WILL suffer withdrawals. That is NOT ADDICTION. That is dependence where your body depends on that medication and the opiate receptors cry out for relief. Addiction is where a person will lie, steal, Doctor shop, take more than prescribed ANYTHING AT ALL all for the HIGH...
Thank you for this post, I never take more than prescribed and watch it very carefully. I saw the same doctor for 5 years in arizona in the same doctor for the years that I have been in california. I do not doctor shop lies steal or take more than prescribed. I do not feel as if I am mentally addicted just feel that it is not working that's why I asked the question. so thank you I got sucked into defending myself and should not have to feel that way that is what this form is 4.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 07-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #23
(female)

lynn006 HB User

I'm not sure about stopping and starting? But if your taking a high dose with no relief u have to ask for something else. Look up and read about all the drugs you know of and try to pick out one or two and write them down with any guestions u might have and ask Dr what they think is best! Clearly percocet is out for now cause your still in bad pain but one day u might be able to use them again.
It's amazing how similar our lives Šnd pain and treatments are...I do and use all those things as u do also I have to have my house clean and perfect at all times, I watch 2 of my granddaughters 2 days a week and its a lot and I know exactly what u mean about the pain being so bad that is hard to breathe . But my children are married and its just me &my husband and my cats. I lay on the bed alot, usually with my ice pack and 6 different very important pillows around me. I guess I've excepted the fact that I'll never be pain free its impossible when there's so many problems if I get one major pain under control the nerve pain still hurts...and so on and so on. You have it so much harder with still having children at home! But maybe u shouldn't be so hard on yourself and take more breaks an rest. I do and I'm lucky if I cook 3 times a week lately.

Last edited by lynn006; 07-03-2012 at 03:00 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to lynn006:
sandiemas (07-04-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Lynn-It was boxerluver who said she had been on the same med for 10 years with only a couple increases. I have not had very good results with my meds unfortunately. Even with a high dose long acting plus breakthrough med regime, I haven't been able to get much more than 30% relief lately. My tolerance is due to my age and opiate history (I'm 26 and have been on some form of pain meds since 19). I don't feel I have a choice in how many pills I take as otherwise I wouldn't be able to function at the low level which is now my normal. Do you mind sharing how you are able to have all those open prescriptions? The majority of us see our doctor monthly and may get one prescription for a long acting med and one prescription for a short acting med. I'm a bit stumped how you have all those meds at your disposal to rotate and that a doctor would condone that. Even if they were prescribed at different times, its common to be on a contract such that taking what was prescribed in a different month would violate the contract.

I strongly disagree that watching the clock to when you can take your next pain med dose is addiction. That is something that is unfortunately normal as you build tolerance to a medication and, as pointed out, many folks have their short acting med last for less time than their allowed dosing interval. Plus, if you have constant pain, short acting pain meds are a poor choice to manage it as you cannot obtain stable med levels with them. You get a yo yo affect. Once you add breakthrough pain on top of the varying relief, it can get quite bad.

If it was addiction that person would be doing whatever they had to do to obtain more pills than prescribed, and would be chasing a high, not wanting to obtain pain relief. Tolerance, addiction, and physical addiction are three very separate terms. Tolerance and physical addiction happens to everyone who is on daily pain meds. Addiction only happens to a small percent of folks taking meds for legitimate chronic pain.

Sandie-Sounds like its time for a heart to heart with your doctor about your pain relief goals and how your current meds aren't allowing you to reach them. I'd emphasize how little relief you are getting and for how little of a time, while your pain is constant. That may edge your doctor into considering prescribing you a long acting med, or referring you to someone who may consider that for you. Sorry but I again disagree with Lynn. I would never ask for medications by name. Similar to how I'd never say I think my dose needs to be increased or I think I need to be put on a long acting med. I'd start a discussion of how the current treatment isn't working and why, and let your doctor lead it from there. Saying these sort of things may get you labeled as a drug seeker, or at the very least, someone who doesn't value their doctor's training/expertise. Best wishes.

The following user gives a hug of support to tortoisegirl:
sandiemas (07-04-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (07-04-2012), Whynowthis (07-03-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #25
Inactive
(male)

lake county HB Userlake county HB Userlake county HB User

Kate - you said what I was thinking. No one doctor would prescribe a person all those opiates. Using vicoprofin and vidodin? So she is using 2 drugs, acetamenophin And ibuprofen, that are bad on the guts? Both in hydro and oxy form? And a long acting morphine and a long acting oxy? Sounds like doc shopping and or street abuse to me.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #26
(female)

lynn006 HB User

Kate & Lake, I don't have all those as open scripts infact I doubt if any of them have refills. I've been with this Dr for several years (my original dr of more than 20 years retired) and used to go 3 times a week for the first year or so cause it is a full service and I had PT 3 times a week and saw the Dr probably atleast once a week for accupucture, cupping & trigger point injections. I brought a print out if all my meds from my former dr and the PS took it from there. I didn't have to edge my Dr in any direction or ease my Dr into taking the lead. I'm very sensitive to drugs and always have been, there was a time she wanted me to take Avinza twice everday for a week to see if if could manage to get the trigger point injections into my shoulder and upper back without all the crackling from everything being so tight! We both heard it, well by the third day I told the PT I didn't want to party anymore and I was only taking 1 a day and by the 6th day or so I got injections and no crackling ...but also I hadn't gone to the bathroom either even with the stool softeners, so that was the end of that. But now i know that this works excellent on a reallt vad day for me but only 1day... So we would move on to another drug. Its only been recently that I research different drugs for her to consider. My last suggestion Š couple weeks ago was Methadone cause I read it could make people like me feel normal when using it, well that didn't go off at all, dr said it was very dangerous, linked to terrible heart problems and I had to take it routinely and dr knew I didn't want to do that. So I got a refill for perocet, vicoprofen and oxycontin. My dr and I know that I only take them sparingly and I only see her around twice a year and no I don't take a tylenol based drug with a ibuprofen one. I think I mentioned I really don't ever take more than 2 - 2 1/2 a day of anything. I'm sorry, very sorry if it came off sounding like criticism to anyone of you! I never intended that. I guess its just been to soon since I've lost all these people in one way or another due to pain meds...

Last edited by lynn006; 07-04-2012 at 05:51 PM.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #27
Inactive
(female)

maysee HB User

Hugs to YOU!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #28
(female)

tazmomo HB User
Wink Re: Awful Treatment

I made that mistake put some nice rings and needed paper work and Meds in a
Fireproof small safe , guess what my home was broke in and 1 of the things taken
was my fireproof safe picked it up took the whole thing . Never even thought of it had lock fireproof kept small value items very need pappers and Meds to keep locked
and safe from grandbabys (toddlers ) well made it easy had handle and 10 seconds gone . Police said it happens all the time robbers go in looking for those things grab them a few other quick pawn items and out in min.. never even thought about havimg all that in 1 sm thing made it so good for them and huge loss for me . unless its a safe in the floor nothing is safe sadly . Im just putting it out here to give you thought where to put your meds to be real safe or put your safe to be safe ,, lol HUGS to al l Pain Management is so hard on all of us it can be so hard to explain or over explain our feeling and self definsive due to stigma from people who do not live with cronic or constance pain.. So hugs and positive thoughts to all .., new member signed up long ago still not much of poster but need too sharing and question seems to be helping me

Last edited by tazmomo; 02-14-2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: reply placed in wrong place new to posting

Closed Thread