It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User
Awful Treatment

My friend, who I thought was a good friend also has fibro like I do. She asked what treatment I was recieving and I thought she would understand so I told her I just started Norco. Then she went ballistic and said she has worse pain than I do and that all she needs is Advil and that I shouldn't be taking my medicine. I should just rely on OTC products. And that if I continue to take the Norco I would nothing more than an addict. I thought she would understand since she claims she has the same thing I do. How could someone be so judgemental? I'm beginning to believe she's making her whole story up. I feel really bad and think maybe I shouldn't be taking this new medicine. I know logically that I really do need it, but it hurts to be told I'm going to be a drug addict and my pain isn't enough to warrant the treatment.

I think next time I should just say I'm using heat/ice packs and OTC pain patches. I'm sorry for this long post, I'm just upset as I thought she would understand.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: waters04
jet12581 (07-06-2012), sandiemas (07-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Awful Treatment

waters, hi, so sorry she treated you like that. I have fibro too and take even stronger meds so don't feel bad, everyone's fibro is different. We have different levels of pain. I've gotten where I don't tell folks what I take just for that reason. Everyone is so judgemental. THey don't walk in our shoes. So please don't feel guilty. CJ

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
waters04 (07-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I'm sorry to hear this. Because of this a lot of folks choose not to tell many people about their meds. I sure have gone this way. Don't listen to her...only you can know whether pain meds are necessary for you to better cope with this condition. Everyone responds differently so maybe her pain responds to otc meds, but for many, they just don't do anything. How can she say her pain is worse?

I think she is going through a tough time with her pain...maybe she is jealous you have received pain meds? Taking narcotics for chronic pain doesn't make you an addict. You may be physically dependent, but unless you are the rare person who is abusing the meds, you aren't an addict. I think this may be a subject you just don't want to get into with her. Nothing wrong with saying you don't want to discuss your treatment. I definitely don't tell anyone about my meds. Besides the judgement, you can actually put yourself at risk for someone close to you to go looking at take them. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
waters04 (07-01-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

Thank you both for your quick replies. I know it seems silly, but it just made me so upset for her to say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
I definitely don't tell anyone about my meds. Besides the judgement, you can actually put yourself at risk for someone close to you to go looking at take them. Best wishes.
tortoisegirl, I didn't even think about that. I do have a small fireproof safe I used to keep my adderall in, so I think it's probably a good idea I start locking the meds up again. I think I've come to the conclusion to keep my darn mouth shut from now on.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
(female)

MESnap HB UserMESnap HB User

Hi waters.
I don't have fibromyalgia, but other pain that includes some similar nerve pains, and sometimes similar medications.

I think it's best not to tell people other than your spouse, parents, and other emergency contact people too much about your meds. But you are going to find, over time, that *even some doctors respond like this*. It's kind of part of the cross to bear with pain, and sometimes it hurts just as much.

I personally just tell people I take a couple meds (though it's a bit more than that) and dread filling out both medical history and medications lists on forms. it's like running. Marathon with a pen.

Keep your meds locked up or somewhere personal and out of the way of traffic in your home. Don't store them in the bathroom (where everybody looks) - it's not good for them anyway.

But yeah, some people like to complain about their pain, compare notes, and feel brave or better some how if they dont take prescription drugs or drugs as strong as yours. And some people think narcotics make people the lowest of the low. My father is one of those people. And he has gone through insane pain (like sawing through his finger over an inch down, crushed vertebrae, etc) w/o use of precription meds. But everyone else around him had to put up with his pain along with him. :-D

Ive been on narcotics for almost 5 years and he keeps saying "you don't want to become dependent on them now." I'm absolutely dependent on them, but I just say "uh-huh."

Hope that made you laugh. :-)

Don't worry too much about what your friend said, if you can help it. But I can understand how that would feel. I'm sorry.

The Following User Says Thank You to MESnap For This Useful Post:
waters04 (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
(female)

MESnap,

To make matters worse I had a miscommunication with my mom who lives out of state. She goes on to tell me the pain meds should last all day if I take one half a pill a night and at the most another half in the morning. My poor dad, who i live with was the one catering to my every need when i was in so much pain i couldn't get up. He would help me get up to go to the bathroom only. The rest of the time I was practically bed-ridden. Then my mom is going on about how it couldn't have been that bad and all. I thought SHE would understand because she gets severe arthritis pains sometimes. In fact, I don't know if I should say this, but she was the recipient of my leftover celebrex. My poor dad had to explain to her how bad it actually was. I mean I couldn't even get in the damn bathtub to soak because I couldn't get out of it! She later apologized to me and said if I need to take the 3 whole pills a day that was prescribed that that was fine. She lives in another state so I guess she didn't realize how bad things had become for a while. Dad was cooking meals and bringing them to me on the sofa (I couldn't jump up to get in my bed because it was too high) and refilling my drinks and everything else. And he basically told her all of that and said at least now I'm up and moving.

Sorry for the long post again. She just makes me feel like a damn drug addict sometimes.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waters04 View Post
MESnap,

To make matters worse I had a miscommunication with my mom who lives out of state. She goes on to tell me the pain meds should last all day if I take one half a pill a night and at the most another half in the morning. My poor dad, who i live with was the one catering to my every need when i was in so much pain i couldn't get up. He would help me get up to go to the bathroom only. The rest of the time I was practically bed-ridden. Then my mom is going on about how it couldn't have been that bad and all. I thought SHE would understand because she gets severe arthritis pains sometimes. In fact, I don't know if I should say this, but she was the recipient of my leftover celebrex. My poor dad had to explain to her how bad it actually was. I mean I couldn't even get in the damn bathtub to soak because I couldn't get out of it! She later apologized to me and said if I need to take the 3 whole pills a day that was prescribed that that was fine. She lives in another state so I guess she didn't realize how bad things had become for a while. Dad was cooking meals and bringing them to me on the sofa (I couldn't jump up to get in my bed because it was too high) and refilling my drinks and everything else. And he basically told her all of that and said at least now I'm up and moving.

Sorry for the long post again. She just makes me feel like a damn drug addict sometimes.
Pain is so misunderstood. And no two people experience pain the same way. I'm apalled that your friend said she is in more pain than you. How could she possibly know that? Has she jumped inside your body and lived your life? If not, then she has no idea. I would just not discuss it with her again and if she brings it up again, just say you switched to OTC meds and drop the conversation. It's none of her business what you take, and you dont need her judging you. As far as your mom goes, it's pretty hard for her to tell you how much medication to take when she isn't even in the same state and can't see how you are (not) functioning. She's not the doctor. Your doctor is the one who prescribed 3 a day, so he is the expert, I would take the expert opinion.
Like I said, no one knows the pain you suffer but you, so never feel bad about taking medication that was prescribed to you that makes you function better. I think in your case with so many judgemental people around I would just keep it to yourself. Feel free to come here to vent anytime. Hope what I said makes sense. My meds get me a little lost on words sometimes and I have troubles saying things exactly how I mean to.

The Following User Says Thank You to Whynowthis For This Useful Post:
waters04 (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
(female)

Thank you all. I'm glad I found this board. It's a little sad I can't get this much support in real life. lol

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: waters04
MESnap (07-01-2012), Whynowthis (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
(female)

MESnap HB UserMESnap HB User

Same here, about finding this board. It's helpful to share info without judgement, and be able to ask questions regarding how others have been affected by similar medications, and to know you aren't crazy, and people just behave irrationally to things that aren't their concern.

It's interesting to me at this point to listen to my dad brag about his medication-less life while so many think he should be on anti-depressants or something. So he judges others who are judging him. I guess it's the way of people.

But if it makes any difference, three hydracodone a day doesn't shout drug addict to me. I'm super nervous about the quantity (and type) of narcotic meds I'm on at this point, and to some people *that's* not so bad. It's all relative.

And like so many have said on here, people who haven't even witnessed what you live through have no right to make assumptions and judgements. It seems pretty random, to me, for someone to tell you to take half a pill at night and morning.

My biggest suggestion, as someone mentioned somewhere, would be to hold back on the amount on the days you can ge by with less. It'll help more when you really really need it if you do. But at the same time, dont let your pain get out of control, because it takes more to get back functional if you do. It's a careful balancing act.

Big hug!

Old 07-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

She probably was just jealous.

Heaven know there have been plenty of times in my life when I had bad pain that was untreated or under treated, and I sometimes felt angry that other people with the same issues where getting adequate pain relief. I managed to bite my tongue and not say anything nasty, but it was a real temptation.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
gsmom (07-04-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
(female)

lynn006 HB User

Hi waters, I agree with everyone's advise and you sure aren't an addict just cause u take Norco, but something I would like to say is that never take as much as the bottle says and always switch meds, every couple days! I've been on pain meds since the mid 80's (for many heriated disc's, IC and servere FM) but I make sure I have a few different kinds and switch them up every couple days! some days I just take Alieve or advil when I can just lie around and use an ice pack. Ive done this for decades and it works safely, I'm not an addict cause ive done it this way but I no people who have died, became addicts or went insane because of drug abuse. If u stay on just 1 drug u will become immune to it eventually and start taking more and more and more and your addicted and in big trouble ... sorry for rambling but I can't stress this enough to keep yourself safe and its up to u who u tell about your meds and I think you might be right about your friend not having FM or maybe she is still in early stages?

Last edited by lynn006; 07-02-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Hey Lynn no disrespect, but I have to disagree with you. I have been on the same med for over 10 years and have had only 2 increases in that entire time. Everybody is different Nd adjusts to the meds differently. Some people need to change up their meds, some don't. Some have high metabolisms and need more frequent increases and others can stay pretty steady.

I agree with most here that it's no one's business what you take or how much. If you are taking it as prescribed and it is helping you then great! The purpose of pain management is to improve our quality of life and that is important! No one understands until they have been there and even then they do not live inside our bodies and feel what we feel.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn006 View Post
If u stay on just 1 drug u will become immune to it eventually and start taking more and more and more and your addicted and in big trouble
I also disagree with this. If you are on an opiate pain medication daily your body will be physically dependent on it, but psychological addiction is something that only happens for a small percent of people. A lot of folks with chronic pain have no choice but to be on a long acting pain medication to best manage their pain...taking short acting medications and switching them up to avoid physical dependence wouldn't do them much good as the short acting meds have a lot of ups & downs.

Everyone on opiates will eventually become tolerant and need more to obtain the same relief, no matter how you take them. The rate this happens however is very variable, as boxerluver pointed out. Its very important to only take your medications as prescribed, as that is the number one thing I believe that can get you in trouble. Best wishes.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
(female)

lynn006 HB User

To tortoisegirl, Im very happy to hear that you are safe and have been on the same meds for 10 years and only a couple increases but are u also taking something to give it a boost half way through the day or something extra for "break through pain"? If not great for you! And best of luck and be safe ...

Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

Hello, I can totally relate to your situation. I have recently posted the same type of situation with a lifelong friend that compares note with me everything she has twice the pain and does not seem to be sympathetic at all. she does not understand how I would need narcotic pain medication and not just take advil or something to that affect. I went to do the same feelings of worthlessness and how can I be so weak. I am physically dependent but not addicted. I also recently had my medication stolen in and went with out for 3 weeks, I was in so much pain I had no quality of life. I am a true believer that if there is a medication that can help you survive your day possibly get something done and not take the world then it is worth taking.
Keep your medication safe and dont feel bad for wanting to feel better your body cannot heal itself if it is constantly worn down by being in pain 24 hours a day. it is both mentally and physically exhausting. hope you feel better soon.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Last edited by sandiemas; 07-02-2012 at 11:13 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to sandiemas For This Useful Post:
lynn006 (07-03-2012)
Closed Thread