It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User
Question about getting a non narcotic from a different pharmacy

This may be sensitive information to some people and I apologize in advance but my doctor is not in today and nobody in his office was able to answer my question. Due to a birth control mistake (basically I was told the ring was effective after 5 days, and later learned it takes 7 to 10 days) Anyway to make this short I want to go get the plan B pill and its cheaper at a pharmacy I don't use. I am on a narcotics contract that states I have to stay with one pharmacy but was wondering if it would be okay to use a different one for this because its technically an OTC drug. The price difference is $20 which is a significant amount of money right now since my work hours got cut.

Thank you

Old 07-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Question about getting a non narcotic from a different pharmacy

I would think so, but you might contact your addiction counsellor or the agency that put you on the contract to be sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
(female)

Its a narcotics contract through the doctor I use my pain management. I did try to contact him but he is on vacation and the office staff was not able to help me.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

My opinion has always been that a narcotics contract was for "narcotics" not birth control items, blood pressure meds or any other non-narcotic med. I routinely use different pharmacies for my maintenance meds versus my narcotic pain meds. I've never had a problem and couldn't possibly imagine having one! The contract is called a narcotic contract for a reason.

I really can't stand the way that once narcotics come into the picture everyone freaks out. The docs with the DEA, patients over worried about things such as above when it should be obvious what's OK and what's not. Honestly, a little common sense would go a long long way. And pleased don't confuse what I'm saying is belittling how difficult it is to find a good PM doc. I understand all that. I guess it just irritates me.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #5
(female)

I understand how frustrated you are, I feel the exact same way. My contract specifically says all medications which is where my confusion came in. I would hate to be dropped for something so silly but I have heard of people being dropped for lesser reasons than that. I am planning on telling my doctor at my next appt that I am switching pharmacies (especially since my current switched to a generic narcotic that doesn't work as well as some of the other generics) I am so aggrivated with the hoops and hurdles I have to jump (well hobble) through for every little thing. Sorry for going off on a soap box.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyinpink81 View Post
I understand how frustrated you are, I feel the exact same way. My contract specifically says all medications which is where my confusion came in. I would hate to be dropped for something so silly but I have heard of people being dropped for lesser reasons than that. I am planning on telling my doctor at my next appt that I am switching pharmacies (especially since my current switched to a generic narcotic that doesn't work as well as some of the other generics) I am so aggrivated with the hoops and hurdles I have to jump (well hobble) through for every little thing. Sorry for going off on a soap box.
I've read my contract and it doesn't say all meds, are you sure that's what yours says? I suppose a doc could say that to be sure you are taking anything that interacts with what he's prescribing but honestly pharmacies are usually pretty good at that stuff. I guess it's probably always best to check to be sure. One thing though - couldn't you just call the office to get a ruling on this item without waiting for an appt.?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
(female)

It does say all medication and I did try calling the office but my doctor is on vacation and the office staff was not able to answer my question

Old 07-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Since this is a behind the counter but otc item (similar to Sudafed I believe...they just check your ID?), not a prescription, I personally don't see how it could be against a contract, even if the contract says all prescriptions. However, I don't know if saving $20 would be worth it to me to take this risk. Best wishes.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
(female)

Thank you everyone for the helpful responses. I decided to just stick with the pharmacy I use now and when I went to pick it up I was told if I get a prescription they would run it through my insurance so I wouldn't have any out of pocket charges since my insurance technically covers all forms of birth control. I called the nurse practioner I see in the same practice for "girlie stuff" and she had no problem faxing a script over so at least now everything is documented.

Closed Thread