It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
(male)

MyHipsHurt HB User
Unhappy BADLY NEEDED: Pain management doctor in Colorado/Denver

Hi all,
I have some very serious issues with my hips along with some moderate problems in my lower back. The hip problems are inoperable at this time, so I've been on pain medication around the clock for about 18 months now with the same doctor prescribing the medications. Unfortunately, my current doctor and I have had a disagreement on proper treatment and I need to find a new doctor to prescribe my medications.

Can anyone please recommend a doctor in Colorado? I'm willing to travel up to 2 hours to visit the doctor on a regular basis.

Thanks very much in advance! Unfortunately I've run out of medications due to a total lack of communication/response from my current doctor and I'm in a world of pain and can't work or take care of my kids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: BADLY NEEDED: Pain management doctor in Colorado/Denver

You know, I read your full story, and you might be selling the hip replacement option short.

There are two kinds of hip replacements, cemented and not-cemented. The cemented kind are only for the elderly. But if you get the not-cemented kind, those can easily last 20 years if you just avoid high-impact physical activity such as running. My father's had ten years already, ten years of long-distance biking, hiking, and swimming, and his hips are still quite strong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: BADLY NEEDED: Pain management doctor in Colorado/Denver

I answered on your other thread...

I also think it would be good to really look at the option of hip replacement...As I wrote on the other thread...I've had many surgeries that are not guaranteed for life...Max is also 10 years...maybe 15...But that is much better than trying to just chase the pain with only medication every day.

My friend also had double hip replacement and is doing wonderful! Playing golf...hiking....and only needs NSAIDS for some aches and pains...If/when she needs another surgery....there can be many advancements..

With regards to your medication running out...we can all empathize with horrible pain...but we just can't up our dosage without speaking to the Dr. first and making sure you have their permission. This can get you dismissed from their practice and even make it so any other Dr. won't pressribe opiates for you.

As mentioned, you need to make sure you speak with your Dr. who has prescribed the medications if you are deciding to terminate your relationship with them...You need to do this FIRST before you find another Dr. and ask/get opiates...There are 41 states that have the Prescription Monitoring Program that follow you by name anywhere in the state and track any medication that you fill. So you don't want to by-pass your Dr. now, get a new prescription from another Dr., and then have them find out that way...

Obviously you can't go backwards...I'm just letting you know from here forward. I just hope it's not too late with them already writing in your records that you took more than prescribed and ran out early...I would hate to see you not get the help you need..

As well as you need to make sure that the opiates are not your sole means of brining down the pain...

Most of us use daily exercise, yoga/stretching, aqua therapy, injections, massage, TENS unit, acupuncture, a muscle relaxer...a nerve pain...an anti-depression med...etc...

Again...I'm not sure why you want to spend the next 10 years taking more and more pain meds when you can go ahead with the replacements and then worry about the future when you get there....I think you may find other Drs. who are going to ask the same thing..

We really do understand what it's like to live in chronic pain..

Keep us posted on your situation..

Closed Thread