It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
(female)

Gkettle1 HB User
Unhappy Agony after tonsillectomy

I had a tonsillectomy yesterday, and they said the pain won't be bad until 4 days in.... And I am in absolute agony. I can't talk, can't take fluids and can't even swallow my own saliva. They gave me tramadol oral capsules as pain relief and I can't take NSAIDs because of my asthma. I don't know what to do. I am besides myself.
Someone please help!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: Agony after tonsillectomy

Welcome! I am sorry you are struggling so much. Definitely put a call in to your doctor. They should have someone on call who can address your concerns. In a pinch, visit and urgent care center or ER. In addition to pain control, this could get dangerous if you can't take in fluids as you can quickly become dehydrated. I remember when I had a bad case of strep I couldn't tolerate drinking water, but I could manage popsicles and broth. Alternating cold and warm/salt seemed to help. Also, Tramadol is not an NSAID from the information I looked up. Were you given information to the contrary? I'd have someone call a pharmacist for you to verify (or if you filled the prescription, double check the prescribing info). Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
Gkettle1 (07-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
(female)

Gkettle1 HB User

Thanks Kate.
I have tried sucking on ice cubes, but I'm so swollen that I literally can't swallow anything anymore.
Tramadol isn't an NSAID, it's a form of opiate medication, but as I can't swallow, I'm unable to take them. My friend who had the same op as me, was given a liquid version of codeine. I'm wondering why they didn't give me that?
I've tried saline rinses, lidocaine mouthwash rinses and even holding ice on my throat, with no luck. Because I can't talk, I can't talk to a doctor and my partner refuses to talk for me (he's as much use as a submarine with windscreen wipers!).
I'm so dehydrated and thirsty it's unreal.

Last edited by Gkettle1; 07-04-2012 at 06:15 AM.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I'd still recommend getting to an urgent care center. If you have to, take a cab and write them a not of what is going on if you can't manage a couple sentences. They should be able to help you get some fluids in and get the pain down some. Best wishes.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
(female)

Gkettle1 HB User

Last night I managed a few ice pops and a very small glass of juice to take my tablets (I took a risk and took ibuprofen), and the pain settled within the hour, so I've been taking 200mg tramadol (my normal dose for endometreosis and my shoulders), 1g paracetamol, 600mg of ibuprofen and this difflam oral rinse they gave me, religiously around the clock. But I woke up this morning back at square 1. I'm hoping these pain killers kick in, otherwise I'm going to be heading to my GP with a letter. :-(
Thanks again Kate. Really appreciate your help. :-)

Closed Thread