It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

RPM12 HB UserRPM12 HB UserRPM12 HB User
Pain post micro d

I had a micro discectomy/ hemi laminectomy and cyst removal in December 2011. My biggest problem was sciatica bilateral. The most pain was in my left leg from mid calf to around the ankle into the top of the foot. The pain in the ankle was the worst.

I had a 4 hour operation with removal of a cyst that had calcified around the nerve, and scar tissue that built up as a result of that, some bone spurs, spinal stenosis, and a herniated disc. The scar tissue from the cyst was thought to be the cause of the pinched nerve.

I recovered well from the surgery, and the pain has been slowly going away. The right leg pain is gone, pain down both backs of thighs is gone, so it does not appear anything is still pinched.

However, my left ankle is still in severe pain.

I have been on narcotic pain relievers before and since. Not from the operating Doctor, nor from a pain clinic. It will be no problem continuing them, my Doctor has no connection with my provider.

Yesterday I went to my Doctor for the routine checkup and told him about the pain continuing in my left ankle. He suggested maybe the narcotics were creating the pain in my head, and that I should get off the narcotics.

I do not believe that to be the case, although I do understand what he is saying.

My question, I think it would be most sensible to stay on the narcotics a couple more months and see if the nerve heals in the ankle. I don't believe it's just the narcotics making me believe the ankle hurts, since that was the primary source of pain before the operation. I hate to go through the withdrawal from the narcotics (Norco), just to have to get back on them.

How many of you have found when you got off narcotics you really didn't have any pain? It's not like the narcotics are completely taking away the pain, it reduces the pain to a 4 or 5, manageable.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
(male)

nesara311 HB User
Re: Pain post micro d

I have had two lumbar surgeries,rehab sensibly,and lose weight.by all means get a inversion table.Also,chronic pain un treated can become perminant.I am currently weaning down from my meds.my rizectomy and the table.One of them has helped me feel comfortable with my recovery.One and a half years post op.Good luck

Old 07-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
(female)

Thank you. Would you consider it best to try to get off the Norco now, or wait awhile?

Old 07-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
(male)

nesara311 HB User

My doctor would say stay on until your pain issues are controlled.Your not a drug addict.you are in pain.If left untreated, could become permanent.Get the inversion table when you budget permits.perhaps seek a pain clinic.shoots work,you ankle pain may be related to your spinal issues.But do seek a doctors advice.I am very happy to not be getting worse.but better.Good luck,remember,most people suffer from back pain

Old 07-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
(female)

Thank you again.

My ankle pain is definitely related to the sciatica. I had sciatica come and go before it finally stayed and each time the ankle pain went with it.

I much prefer my Doctor to the local pain clinics. And I have had all the series of injections, therapy, etc. I am not overweight. I will consider an inversion table.

I appreciate your advice. I really don't see the sense in going off the pain pills until the pain is controlled.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
(male)

nesara311 HB User

If you do get the table,allow it two weeks too work.I can;t tell you how happy I am to have full feeling in my feet and to be able to be very active.But once again.Do not let pain go untreated.Have a nice night,rest well,stress effects pain so avoid it.Try and stay active.
good luck fellow pain sufferer.Hang in there.Your not alone.
Keith

Old 07-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
(female)

How did you know how much I was stressing out over this, LOL.

Thanks again!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
(male)

nesara311 HB User

The economy has everyone stressed,but I am hearing good things about that.Its your health that counts.Not your bank account.Have you filed for SSDI or SSI?Consider
Good luck.
night
keith stay safe

Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
(female)

No, the economy isn't a problem with me. Yet, anyway.

Night to you too.

Last edited by RPM12; 07-08-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread