It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
(male)

dmneyes HB User
Tramadol stopped working. please help!!!

hi, i just joined here so i could hopefully get some answers. I had back surgery a little over a year ago (L4L5 fusion) i've been taking tramadol (500-600mg a day) for about 3 years. recently i decided it was time to take something stronger so i could return to work. i got 5mg percocet and it worked great ...but pain management only gave me a half fill until my drug screen comes back. i ran out of percocet and had to switch back to tramadol. the problem is the tramadol isn't doing ANYTHING. it's been a good 4 days since i last had percocet so it has to be out of my system by now. does anyone know why the tramadol would stop working? any help is greatly appreciated.

i am also taking paxil in the morning and trileptal,mirtazapine at night (for depression/anxiety)

Old 07-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Tramadol stopped working. please help!!!

Welcome to the boards...

A few questions...

How many of the Percocets were you taking per day?

Did you run out because you took more than were prescribed per day or because the test results are taking longer than anticipated?

Was the Tramadol extended release or short acting?

If it's the latter....did you contact the Dr. and let them know you ran out and are having to take the Tramadol again? I would just hate for them to do another urine test and not have what is supposed to be in your system..

Percocet is stronger per say than the Tramadol...and after 3 years...and at pretty high dosages of the Tramadol...it's normal that if you were taking the Percocet and it was working...that going back to the Tramadol is not going to provide the relief you need.

The key in all of this is making sure every single step of the way is communicated by you with your Dr.

Hopefully you will be able to be put back on the Percocet soon.

It is a bit odd though that after being on pain medicine for 3 years that they don't want to move you to a long acting medication. That is the usual way of doing things with chronic pain so the person doesn't have to be chasing pain every 4-6 hours...

Keep us posted...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
(male)

dmneyes HB User

I was taking 6-8 5mg percocet. was prescribed 4 a day but told to take more if I was still in pain. the test results came in today. took almost 2 weeks thanks to the "holiday" but can't see anyone until friday. I have the short acting tramadol, i've tried the extended and the one with acetaminophen. pain management told me to continue with the tramadol. what kind of long acting medications are there? i'm pretty sick of taking tramadol. i've tried everything..i just got shots in my SI joints a week ago. no relief. I never should have had the surgery..it just created more problems.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Thanks for sharing more...And I'm truly not trying to judge at all by my questions...just wanting to make sure you are careful and don't do anything accidentally wrong that could get you dismissed from getting the care you need..

I would make sure you call the Dr. today if you haven't already to tell them you are out of the Percocet and just make sure you are allowed to take the Tramadol. The problem with just getting a "verbal" ok to take more...if the prescription reads take up to 4 a day...is if you meet with a different Dr. on Friday...or he/she "forgets" they told you to do this..it will come back on your shoulders..

With pain management and moving towards Schedule 2 narcotics...the rules get much, much more strict and are Dr.s and their patients are monitored by the state and the DEA.

The long acting medication I was thinking of initially would have been Ultram ER instead of the short acting ones as it is very odd they would prescribe you that type for 3 years...Especially getting up to such a high dosage of 500-600mg a day...

But now they have you on Percocet...and if you continue to need pain management then you may be moved to Oxycontin which is the exact same opiate in Percocet (Oxycodone) but without the Acetaminophen. And the Oxycontin works for 8-12 hours instead of 4-6...

But it seems like they are moving you up gradually which is good because you certainly want to try and be on the lowest amount possible.

As well as making sure the opiate is just one small way to help take down your pain level.

There is exercise, PT, injections, TENS unit, yoga/stretching, aqua therapy, acupuncture, massage, etc.

As well as muscle relaxer if needed...Or a nerve pain medication.

It's about using each one of these things in combination with the other...Not to have one thing be the only thing that works. Like the injections may help a tiny bit...acupuncture a bit...etc...

And then everything brings it down to about a 5 in pain level which is the norm for chronic pain patients...I live with a 5-7 daily depending on the activity and I do everything I listed and more every day.

I'm sorry to hear the surgery did not work...That's unfortunately the case in some people. I have had 3 cervical fusions and they were done just to keep me from getting paralyzed...not done for pain relief. As well as many other types of surgeries...It's so much different than a broken bone, wearing a cast, and then being healed...

Thankfully you only have a few days until your appt. But as I said...if you haven't called them yet...it may be wise to let them know what you are doing until you see them.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
(male)

dmneyes HB User

thanks for all the info. but i'm still curious as to why the tramadol isn't working. i can take it all day and it's as if i never took anything. i'm not trying to get high by any means. i just can't keep missing work.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmneyes View Post
thanks for all the info. but i'm still curious as to why the tramadol isn't working. i can take it all day and it's as if i never took anything. i'm not trying to get high by any means. i just can't keep missing work.
As I mentioned...Percocet is stronger than Tramadol so the amount you were taking of Percocet was higher than what you were taking of Tramadol so this would cause you to not get much pain relief from it. This combined with taking it for 3 years...your body has developed a tolerance to it.

It's just a few more days until Friday...Hope it all goes well..

The Following User Says Thank You to Ilovemycutedog For This Useful Post:
dmneyes (07-10-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
percocet, tramadol