It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
(female)

mitsgirl22 HB User
Pain management with cyp2D6

Hello,
I am battling my ability to metabolize pain meds due to my newly discovered Intermediary Metabolizer. I have tried over 20 drugs to manage my pain and still am struggling to find something that doesn't give me migraines. I am currently taking Lyrica, Savella, Neorontin, and Mobic (just started yesterday). My pain is quite severe because I had a Tarlov Cyst surgery 6 months ago and still can't sit for more than 15 min at a time. Does anyone have suggestions of something I might try for pain that might not give me migraines?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: Pain management with cyp2D6

Welcome! Can you try to list what you have tried so far? However, I really don't recommend asking for any meds from your doctor by name. Has your doctor still been able to have a new suggestion each visit and been understanding with your medical complications? If not, it may be time for a new doctor. Also, there can be quite a few non-medication treatments that could be helpful...physical or massage therapy for example. The four meds you list are a good/popular combo (besides that its a bit unusual to take Neurontin & Lyrica at the same time), so unless your doctor is willing to prescribe opiates, you would be trying meds similar to those. Is what you are on not helping? If so, what does your doctor say about it? Sorry you are having a tough time. Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
(female)

powergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB User
Re: Pain management with cyp2D6

Hello Tortoisegirl - love the monicker!
Please take this advice seriously and don't immediately tune it out - I am 48 yrs old and started having spinal surgeries at age 12 and I am still having surgeries every year and 100s of procedures and whatever new techniques have developed etc.....so I know chronic pain and have tried all things meds, prayer, exercise, crafts, music, physical therapy, TENS (which I strongly suggest), accupuncture, rolfing, and many, many other hollistic therapies....

I get terrible spinal headaches - or used to - and it wasn't until I learned how to meditate - I know it makes you want to roll your eyes and say - whacko - but things got so bad (I cannot take any kind of pain meds without severe side effects sounds like you ) - I thought I would give meditation at try - my best effort - learn the discipline and see what happens...

As it turns out, learning to meditate is very challenging and something you do not want to do while in severe pain - however the challenge and practicing which is something you do daily gives you a distraction, something else to focus on.....

Meditation is a skill - like being a competitive athlete, the more you practice, the better you get (usually LOL) - so remember that it takes time to learn this skill and more time to develop it BUT you are learning a skill or skills that impact everything you do all day long.....

I went to the library or on line and got CDs or watched free videos on how to meditate. I did the 5 min sitting meditations, two to three times a day and slowly increased my time from 5-10 minutes etc - at first I thought there is no way I can do this because I am hyper active.....

But I was determined......and I will tell you - after 15+ years of severe, chronic pain and everything that I have tried - meditation - any kind - whether it is prayer, imagery, guided meditations or simple 5 min sessions where you quiet your mind and learn to control your thoughts.....

It has been amazing - not only for pain control but for how I interpret pain and the anxiety of pain episodes and it helps me daily in ALL life situations. You will never regret having tried meditation......

Please, please look into it and try it. It sounds like you have a challenging road ahead and are currently having a tough time and learning to focus and still the mind is the best and most effective drug available.....

God Speed.

Powergrub

Closed Thread