It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User
Alternative to lidoderm patch

I have used the lidoderm patch a few times in the past and I absolutely love them. They work really well for me some days, especially when the pain is muscular in nature (I have MPS and fibro, doesn't do much for the fibro pain but its a life saver for trigger points) Of course the only reason I can't get them is because of the cost. The pharmacies around me want between $230 and $250 for a box. I tried signing up for the patient assistance program and got denied because medicaid refused to give me documentation saying the wont pay for my prescriptions. I am hoping someone has a recommendation for something that works as well as the patch, either OTC or prescription, my doctor and I have no problem trying non narcotic ways to manage my pain. I have tried every muscle cream out there, heat patches, tiger balm, and the capcial patch (sp)

Old 07-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: Alternative to lidoderm patch

I'd suggest asking your various doctors for samples, explaining you have a prescription but can't afford it. I hope you can go through a different channel to get the Medicaid denial...doesn't sounds like they can refuse to give you that if that is the truth. Do your doctors have any alternatives? I'm not too familiar with it (doctor gave me a sample once and it wasn't helpful), but I've heard of compounded creams, biofreeze, otc icy hot patches, etc. You may also try to stretch a prescription to last you longer, such as only using them at your worst, or asking your doctor if it is safe to cut them. Some pharmacies may be cheaper, such as Costco or Walmart. If your insurance offers a mail order option, often that is cheaper, but for a larger quantity (so more upfront cost). Hope you find some solutions soon. Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

lake county HB Userlake county HB Userlake county HB User

I get lidoderm and the icyhot patch works better in every way. Just my $.02

Old 07-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User

I ran (well hobbled/limped) my way to the store and got a box of the icy hot. Right now its still burning/tingling but im going to give it a try.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
(female)

msnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB Usermsnova74 HB User

My MIL is on Medicare and we were able to use the formulary ******** for the Patient assistance program.

T

Closed Thread