It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User
Re: Talking to my Dr about pain management makes me so nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCherrie78 View Post
I swear there is always someone in the office that is rude. My last Dr it was the receptionist. This Dr. it's the nurse. The first time she went in she was a total ***** to me. Like "Oh, a back pain pt AGAIN". It drives me crazy. I'm a Medical Assistant (not working right now) and I NEVER treated people like that. I had my suspicions about people all the time but that's NOT my job to decide. Everyone deserves to be treated with the same amount of respect and friendliness.

Don't even get me started on the DEA. This might not be a popular opinion so I'm sorry if I offend you. However they need to keep themselves OUT of my medical care and on the streets busting the real criminals. 95% of doctors give out pain medication in good faith. The the other 5% are in for it for the money and don't care if the medications they are prescribing are getting sold.

The DEA needs to find a different way of tracking down this 5% and leave the doctors who are trying to help people alone. It's crazy to me to think that I was a teenager in the 90s (NOT saying this is all teenagers, not by a long shot) and I lived with my grandparents. They had TONS of Rx medication in the house. I never thought once to touch any of it. I don't know where I am going with this other then the DEA are handling this "crack down" in a totally wrong fashion.
You have not said anything but the truth!!! I don't think that offends anyone on this board. I know I sure feel the same way. People who are suffering are the innocent, the ones who need the help. I don't care how much the DEA think this kind of action is helping, it is hurting. The people who are abusing and the ones who are selling them will always find a way to do it. They haven't stop dope trafficking. I have a disease that unlike alot of health issues that doctors deal with don't go away with PT or injections. So I don't get alot of backlash from doctors. But the nurses who don't even look in my file always got something to say. Like you said with growing up, My family always put the medicine in the kitchen cabinet. Never even looked twice and neither did anyone who came to our house. I don't think it is nothing left to say but...."And That's all folks"
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010
Total Right Hip Replacement

The Following User Says Thank You to luvinmusiq For This Useful Post:
NOTSONUTSO (08-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

I dealt with a very rude nurse a while back, and I did two things in response. First, I informed her that she can keep her attitude to herself, and if she is in the habit if judging patients, the Nursing Board would likely take a dim view of it. Then I told my doctor about it. He and I have worked together on my pain for several years, and have a great honest, open communication. He apologized on her behalf, then went out to her and required her to come and apologize. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. Too many support staff believe they are "above" you, and sometimes it's necessary to bring them down a notch or two. Do it appropriately, but do it. Don't let them demean you for any reason whatsoever.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #18
(female)

BeatriceDivina HB User

Just saying that I'm the same way - a visit to the pain management doctor today that wasn't very productive and ended up with me thoroughly freaked out about going from what I think of as a not-so-scary drug (Vicodin or Norco) to something like oxycontin or a Fentanyl patch. In fact, I called the doctor back into the room after we talked and asked him if I could try Percocet before oxycontin, because the Percocet seemed less scary.
I think I'm annoying the doctor, which I don't want to do. He'd like to get me on the proper medication, even if it's something like morphine, and stop fiddling, but I'm only willing to go up in little increments. Currently, I'm seeing him every two weeks until we find something that's going to work for me.
I get terrified going in there - I'm afraid they're going to tell me that A) I can't have any medication or B) they're going to try to give me some horribly addicting medication that's going to make it impossible for me to get off it once they figure out what's wrong with my hip. Yes, I realize both of those things are mutually exclusive, but there you go. It's not like it's a rational fear.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #19
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatriceDivina View Post
Just saying that I'm the same way - a visit to the pain management doctor today that wasn't very productive and ended up with me thoroughly freaked out about going from what I think of as a not-so-scary drug (Vicodin or Norco) to something like oxycontin or a Fentanyl patch. In fact, I called the doctor back into the room after we talked and asked him if I could try Percocet before oxycontin, because the Percocet seemed less scary.
I think I'm annoying the doctor, which I don't want to do. He'd like to get me on the proper medication, even if it's something like morphine, and stop fiddling, but I'm only willing to go up in little increments. Currently, I'm seeing him every two weeks until we find something that's going to work for me.
I get terrified going in there - I'm afraid they're going to tell me that A) I can't have any medication or B) they're going to try to give me some horribly addicting medication that's going to make it impossible for me to get off it once they figure out what's wrong with my hip. Yes, I realize both of those things are mutually exclusive, but there you go. It's not like it's a rational fear.
Oxycontin and Percocet have the exact same medicine in them - oxycodone. The difference being oxycontin is pure oxycodone and is long lasting, whereas Percocet has acetaminophen in it and is short lasting. So I wouldn't be worried about going from percocet to oxycontin as it is essentially the same medicine. Also since it is long lasting you won't get the euphoria and therefore makes people less likely to become addicted to it.
Most doctors are going to try to do what they can to NOT give a patient "horribly addicting medication" as you called it. They usually do bump people up in small increments. I know it is frustrating though when you have questions about it and they seem like they are annoyed and don't feel like they have to answer the questions. I sometimes get the feeling they don't like to be questioned. But I do at least know that they aren't going to try to get me addicted to a horrible medication because with the DEA on them, they are much more likely to UNDER prescribe, than they are to OVER prescribe.

So are you taking the oxycontin or did he give you the percocets? Sometimes they will give oxycontin and then give percocets for the breakthrough pain. My doctor prefers to give straight oxycodone for breakthrough pain since it is the same as percocet but without the acetaminophen (tylenol) because too much acetaminophen is really hard on the liver.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCherrie78 View Post
Don't even get me started on the DEA. This might not be a popular opinion so I'm sorry if I offend you. However they need to keep themselves OUT of my medical care and on the streets busting the real criminals. 95% of doctors give out pain medication in good faith. The other 5% are in for it for the money and don't care if the medications they are prescribing are getting sold.

The DEA needs to find a different way of tracking down this 5% and leave the doctors who are trying to help people alone. It's crazy to me to think that I was a teenager in the 90s (NOT saying this is all teenagers, not by a long shot) and I lived with my grandparents. They had TONS of Rx medication in the house. I never thought once to touch any of it. I don't know where I am going with this other then the DEA are handling this "crack down" in a totally wrong fashion.
I couldn't agree more! I really wish they'd take the approach/philosophy I prescribe to - I'd rather see 100 drug seekers get pain meds wrongly than for 1 legitimate pain patient go without. Whereas, the DEA and others feel exactly the opposite! Let them all suffer while we weed out the "bad eggs", give me a break! I sure hope it doesn't literally come to this in the country I love so much and would fight for! Try to Live, Love and Laugh today!

The Following User Says Thank You to Whoopee For This Useful Post:
NOTSONUTSO (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #21
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User

It's actually more scary that your dr. was so quick to prescribe Lyrica. I hate that medication as well as cymbalta. The side-effects were UNbearable but doctors are more than happy to give these meds to any & everyone in lieu of opiates.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #22
(female)

MissCherrie78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTSONUTSO View Post
It's actually more scary that your dr. was so quick to prescribe Lyrica. I hate that medication as well as cymbalta. The side-effects were UNbearable but doctors are more than happy to give these meds to any & everyone in lieu of opiates.
It's actually working very well for me. It has decreased my nerve pain in my hands by a lot. I specifically asked him about Lyrica because of what I have read. I have been switched to Neurontin because I didn't realize that my insurance would only cover a small percentage because of it being a brand name medication.

Closed Thread