It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User
Re: Very upset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtapain View Post
Jenga 89 right now im pretty limited to somewhere near me. I have had a suggestion of checking out the Mayo clinic but right now with me not being able to work and only my fiances income I cant afford to travel. I wish I could because I want an answer I want to be out of pain.
I generally don't speak ill of a specific medical provider/institution, but I have to chime in on the Mayo recommendation. I live about 3 blocks from Mayo, and that's the last place I'd recommend to anybody with pain issues. They take an ultra-conservative approach to pain, and if you so much as ask for an aspirin, they want to run you through treatment. I had a doctor at Mayo tell me stright out that Mayo's philosophy is to use pain meds post-op for a short time, or if you're lying in the ER after having been splattered all over the highway. Aside from that, they don't like to prescribe pain meds. In fact, they consider pain patients to be failures on their part, because they have the belief they can cure just about anything. They do great work - don't get me wrong, but they are seriously lacking when it comes to dealing with CP patients.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User

It's so wrong for doctors to say someone is "TOO young" to be in pain. That's like saying a child is "TOO young" to have cancer (very true but that's not reality). Good luck. I hope you are not in for a life-time of pain. That's no way to live.

Last edited by NOTSONUTSO; 08-05-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
(male)

jan00 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtapain View Post
Hi guys I apologize in advance if this might be long.

I started pain management June 28th. The first time I went the doctor was very rude with me and pretty much acted like I was a drug addict looking for a fix. He ordered a MRI and gave me muscle relaxers and told me to call him once the MRI results were faxed to him other wise not to contact him till I got it done. Well I got it done then called to see if he got the results and made a second appointment.

So I got back in and he tells me that my spine is narrowed and I have bones crushing the nerves in my back and hip . This second visit he was super nice seemed very concerned so I thought the first visit he was just having a bad day. So we set up a epidural shot.

July 6th I did the first shot and the next couple days after the shot I was in extreme pain. I was taking my pain meds as prescribed and was trying to stick it out till my next shot date which is the 25th but I was in way to much pain so called the nurse. She said he wasnt there that day but would be in the next day and he would call me. So the next day I called made sure he got the message and told her it was important he called me back after he was done with patients because I was in a sever amount of pain and the meds werent touching it. Well he never called.

Next day I called and she tells me to come in today and see him about it. So I go in and he comes in the room asks me whats going on and tell him everything the pain how it seemed worst after the shot and that I was worried the medicine wasnt working like it should. As soon as I said it he flips out and says"I KNEW THAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!" then he gives me a dirty look tells me i am "to young" to be in pain. Then tells me my only options are a second shot which he doubts will work or surgery!

Now here is my questions. Isnt it a little extreme to go from shots to back surgery without him offering me any other options?? and Im very offended he has proof that my back is screwed up and he is acting like because my age I shouldnt be in pain! I feel like he is treating me like a drug addict and doesnt want to hear anything else.

Im very upset and dont know what to do it seems so extreme to me to go from try epidural shots and then go to surgery. I have no had any early refills on meds and done everything he has asked of me.

Thanks for reading everyone and thank you for the advice in advance!
As far as I'm concerned, I don't hesitate to confront or drop any doctor who's going to be mean, rude, non-compassionate or just any of them with whom I have suspicions. Life is too short and my body is too important to me to mess around. Though I realize not everyone has that option.
I had to do some trial and error, but I finally found some excellent docs who understand my medical conditions and treat accordingly.

Closed Thread