It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
(female)

Outtapain HB User
Very upset

Hi guys I apologize in advance if this might be long.

I started pain management June 28th. The first time I went the doctor was very rude with me and pretty much acted like I was a drug addict looking for a fix. He ordered a MRI and gave me muscle relaxers and told me to call him once the MRI results were faxed to him other wise not to contact him till I got it done. Well I got it done then called to see if he got the results and made a second appointment.

So I got back in and he tells me that my spine is narrowed and I have bones crushing the nerves in my back and hip . This second visit he was super nice seemed very concerned so I thought the first visit he was just having a bad day. So we set up a epidural shot.

July 6th I did the first shot and the next couple days after the shot I was in extreme pain. I was taking my pain meds as prescribed and was trying to stick it out till my next shot date which is the 25th but I was in way to much pain so called the nurse. She said he wasnt there that day but would be in the next day and he would call me. So the next day I called made sure he got the message and told her it was important he called me back after he was done with patients because I was in a sever amount of pain and the meds werent touching it. Well he never called.

Next day I called and she tells me to come in today and see him about it. So I go in and he comes in the room asks me whats going on and tell him everything the pain how it seemed worst after the shot and that I was worried the medicine wasnt working like it should. As soon as I said it he flips out and says"I KNEW THAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!" then he gives me a dirty look tells me i am "to young" to be in pain. Then tells me my only options are a second shot which he doubts will work or surgery!

Now here is my questions. Isnt it a little extreme to go from shots to back surgery without him offering me any other options?? and Im very offended he has proof that my back is screwed up and he is acting like because my age I shouldnt be in pain! I feel like he is treating me like a drug addict and doesnt want to hear anything else.

Im very upset and dont know what to do it seems so extreme to me to go from try epidural shots and then go to surgery. I have no had any early refills on meds and done everything he has asked of me.

Thanks for reading everyone and thank you for the advice in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Very upset

Is this the same Dr. you saw at the beginning of June or a different one? I was just reading another post from you on June 5th you were writing about a pain clinic visit...So just trying to catch up on what's been going on...

I'm sorry to hear of your experience....Unfortunately it does take going to a few Drs. (one at a time obviously) to find one that matches our personality and wants to find a comprehensive program to help our pain.

Your MRI is just one small tool that Drs. use to see if a patient in is pain. With spine issues...it's not just about the testing because if you took 100 people off the street over the age of 25 or 30....close to 75% will have spine troubles....bulging/herniated....or nerve issues...

But only about 25% or less of them will have any symptoms at all.

It's really about the physical exam from the Dr. Asking you about what you can/can't do...and using various ways to see how much pain a person is in.

It sounds like you have run into one of the PM types that really only do injections as the main part of their practice.

I would advise starting to look for another one to see and hope that you the next one will be someone who wants to work with you in a better way to help manage your pain.

As I mentioned...finding one that believes in a comprehensive approach is best.

The one I see believes in exercise, yoga/stretching, all types of injections, massage, acupuncture, TENS unit, steroids, a muscle relaxer, traction, ice, heat, a nerve pain medication, not smoking, maintaining a healthy weight, eating healthy, opiates, sleep medicine, counseling, etc.

Just to name some things that when all put together each day/week/month...it keeps the pain at about a 5-7 level...

Again..sorry to hear it didn't go well.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I agree a different doctor is in order if 2/3 visits you had with him weren't helpful and he isn't giving you any useful treatment ideas going forward. Hope you can find a clinic which has a varied treatment plan...a combo of treatments is the most likely to help. Do you think by "I knew that was going to happen" he was implying that you were only after pain meds so you were going to report it didn't help either way? Sad. I take no offense if a doctor doesn't think pain meds are warranted, but they better have some treatments ideas in mind that I haven't tried before. Best wishes.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User

You need to find another pain management doctor. This doctor is not the only one who treat young patients like that. You will have to do some looking and asking questions before going through all the hassle. You should call around to different pain management offices and ask what is the methods that the doctor uses for treatment. Where I am located probably 70% of the pain management doctors in my area does not even use pain medications. Luckily I have a doctor that does it all. Since that doctor labeled you as soon as he met you then I am sure he probably wasn't trying to help much anyway. I am sorry that yolu had to go through that. It is such a shame that we (real people in pain) get punished because of the bad apples out there. Doctors always like to label young people as drug abusers. The crazy thing is didn't the doctor tell you before the shot that it was a 50% chance that it will work? So why is he acting as if it isn't possible that the shot just didn't work. Also I didn't like that he didn't return your call when you first called. Sounds to me it is time to start shopping for a new pain doctor. I will be praying that everything works out and you find a doctor to take you serious, trust you and do something about this issue. Muah!
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010
Total Right Hip Replacement

Old 07-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
(male)

HaZeX HB User

I agree with the others, Find a new PM dr. I went through about 10 PM clinics before I found the right one. Im also at a disadvantage because apparently I'm to "young" to be in pain, as I'm 22. While looking my PCP was being a huge help to me in prescribing the needed opioids. But I just wanted to say I HATE when a dr doesn't return phone calls. Long story short, I went to a PM, he agreed to continue the regimen my PCP had me on, gave me a weeks worth of pills, and wanted to call in 3 days before to let him know everything was ok, if it was he would give me 3 weeks of pills and to schedule an appointment. Anyway, long story short, I called 3 days before, never got a call back, called the next day, nothing. Now its friday, and Im out meds come saturday. Come to find out they decided to drop me when the nurse finally called back that day, friday, and they did not provide me with a reason. Funny thing is they keep billing me ~$200 that I refuse to pay.

I called up my PCP and thank god he was so understanding and gave a RX for another month until I found a PM.

Last edited by HaZeX; 07-21-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
(female)

Outtapain HB User

THANK YOU EVERYONE! I am def. going to be finding a new PM doc. I have no problem following his treatment plan and doing what he wants but I will not be insulted and made to feel like some addict off the street.

After he made the "I knew this was going to happen" comment I told him I was still willing to try one more shot. And yes he did say there was only a 50% chance of it working so I am also baffled why he was so angry when he found out it wasnt working.

Im very mad he didnt call me back because I was trying to call him ahead of time and tell him whats been going on like I felt I should and he couldnt even call me back. When I saw him yesterday he didnt even bring up the fact that I called and left him two messages!

Old 07-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Outtapain, When you said the doc said bone is crushing a nerve, the first thing that went through my mind is why is he doing an ESI, How is that going to decompress a crushed nerve. Your doc saying you have crushed nereves sounds pretty serious although I'm sure that's not how the radiology report reads. I honestly think you should see a surgeon if that's how he is interpreting your imaging results.

How many surgical opinions have you gotten? A PM really cant give a surgical opinion when he isn't a surgeon, unless your symptoms are so extreme, Incontenence, loss of reflexes and muscle atrophy, but those are things that can happen if you have a problem that needs to be fixed and you choose to look for strong enough pain meds or PM to make it tolerable. At some point if you have nerves being visably crushed in any kind of Diagnostic, I would serriously consider getting it fixed or stabalized. At best it can resolve all your problems. At worst you could have more pain. Ideally at the very least they will stablaize your spine so that the nerves aren't further crushed or damaged. But the PM isn't a surgeon,. so just because he said it's an option, doesn't mean a surgeon will be willing to operate untill your symptoms are so extreme you cant avoid surgery

I Knew my first fusion had failed and went from PM to PM for 2 years after getting a couple surgical opinions where the first surgeon and a couple others said everything is fine, the hardware is in place, yada yada... But that can change over time or in an instant. I had a lot of problems pain wise 2 years post op but I literally sheard off the head of screw in my sacrum, that floated up and compressed some nerve all from going over a spead bump in a parking lot. When I lost control of my bowels I knew the answer wasn't a better PM doc. Got to the hospital and was admitted through the ER for my first fusion revision.THat 3 level fusion turned into a 6 level fusion. When your choice is wear a diaper at 30 or have surgery, surgery looks pretty good. In the long run I ended up disabld but I'm not weaing a diaper. I would still make the same choice. So if you have major pain running down your leg, foot drop, loss of reflexes, loss of bowel or bladder control, you really need a surgeon, even if you just have severe leg pain or some foot drop, you might still want to catch a problem surgically before the damage becomes so bad that these things can't be reversed or fixed.

If you could be more precise with your MRI findings, it might tell us a little more, What other symptoms do you have asside from back pain? Find another PM doc, but most of us generally arrive at the PM doc with a well founded Diagnosis prior to getting there. It seems kind of strange the PM is ordering your first MRI if this was your first. Have you had a surgical consult, have you had more than 1 surgery consult. Good luck, Dave

Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
(female)

Outtapain HB User

Shoreline thank you so much for responding.

Well I have other MRIs before but this is the first one they found the narrowing of the spine and crushed nerves. The MRIs before this one was years ago. I'm more then willing to do the surgery if they think this will fix the issue of give me some of my life back but it was his abruptness and not explaining anything to me that has me concerned. I asked him if he could give me the name and number for the surgeon so i could set up a consult and he said he wanted me to do the second shot first and have it fail before he does that??? Which didnt sound right to me.

Finding of MRI
Narrowing of Lumbar spine. Crushed nerves in my left side of my spine and in my left hip.
Here are the symptoms I am having. Besides the lower server back pain in my back its also running up to the middle of mine. Kinda feels like someone is taking a razor blade and running it between my spinal discs. Im also having sever cramping that feels like charlie horse all down both legs in the front. Leg weakness to where I cant take more then a few steps without feeling like I have to collapse. Cant put pressure on my left left I am pretty much dragging it when I walk. Sever pain in my left hip bone that radiates into my left butt cheek. My legs have that "falling asleep" feeling in them sometimes. I cant sit or stand for more then a ten minutes without having to get up cause the pain is so bad without my meds. I can't get dressed standing I have to sit on the floor cause my legs wont support me and it takes me about ten minutes to get dressed some morning. Some days when the pain is super bad I cant walk at all I have to crawl to get around the house.

My other problem is when I tried to talk to him about my pain meds my fear they were wearing off to quickly and my pain wasnt being managed properly he got really angry and pretty much insinuated I was a drug addict looking for a fix and said he didnt know if after my script is over if he was going to give me anything for the pain anymore. Which to me that is him not doing his job because he is suppose to help make me comfortable while we find a solution which I told him. I also told him I did not want to live like this forever and I wanted to fix it. After he said surgery was my only other option(besides doing the second shot even though he said he believed it was going to fail) he then said your to young to have surgery????

Im so confused and so upset because I dont know how much longer I can go on like this. I cant move I cant sleep its an effort to even get up in the morning. So advice you can give me I really appreciate and thank you so much for helping me and taking your time to read this.

Last edited by Outtapain; 07-22-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added info

Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtapain View Post
Shoreline thank you so much for responding.

Well I have other MRIs before but this is the first one they found the narrowing of the spine and crushed nerves. The MRIs before this one was years ago. I'm more then willing to do the surgery if they think this will fix the issue of give me some of my life back but it was his abruptness and not explaining anything to me that has me concerned. I asked him if he could give me the name and number for the surgeon so i could set up a consult and he said he wanted me to do the second shot first and have it fail before he does that??? Which didnt sound right to me.

Finding of MRI
Narrowing of Lumbar spine. Crushed nerves in my left side of my spine and in my left hip.
Here are the symptoms I am having. Besides the lower server back pain in my back its also running up to the middle of mine. Kinda feels like someone is taking a razor blade and running it between my spinal discs. Im also having sever cramping that feels like charlie horse all down both legs in the front. Leg weakness to where I cant take more then a few steps without feeling like I have to collapse. Cant put pressure on my left left I am pretty much dragging it when I walk. Sever pain in my left hip bone that radiates into my left butt cheek. My legs have that "falling asleep" feeling in them sometimes. I cant sit or stand for more then a ten minutes without having to get up cause the pain is so bad without my meds. I can't get dressed standing I have to sit on the floor cause my legs wont support me and it takes me about ten minutes to get dressed some morning. Some days when the pain is super bad I cant walk at all I have to crawl to get around the house.

My other problem is when I tried to talk to him about my pain meds my fear they were wearing off to quickly and my pain wasnt being managed properly he got really angry and pretty much insinuated I was a drug addict looking for a fix and said he didnt know if after my script is over if he was going to give me anything for the pain anymore. Which to me that is him not doing his job because he is suppose to help make me comfortable while we find a solution which I told him. I also told him I did not want to live like this forever and I wanted to fix it. After he said surgery was my only other option(besides doing the second shot even though he said he believed it was going to fail) he then said your to young to have surgery????

Im so confused and so upset because I dont know how much longer I can go on like this. I cant move I cant sleep its an effort to even get up in the morning. So advice you can give me I really appreciate and thank you so much for helping me and taking your time to read this.
Hi Outtapain!!! I was hoping your situation had gotten better but I see it has not. I feel so bad for you. I told you I know how that makes a person who has legitimate pain feel. Your too young for opiates, your too young for surgery, so what he wants you to do is get the shots that aren't helping you but filling his wallet. Sounds like if I was you I would start looking for another PM. Good Luck to you. I have you in my prayers! Muah!
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010

The following user gives a hug of support to luvinmusiq:
Outtapain (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

jenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB User

Hi there, how desperate are you? Would you travel to see someone if they could help you? There's a place in florida that I know of so I was just wondering what your limitations are for reaching out for help at this point in time?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
(female)

Outtapain HB User

Jenga 89 right now im pretty limited to somewhere near me. I have had a suggestion of checking out the Mayo clinic but right now with me not being able to work and only my fiances income I cant afford to travel. I wish I could because I want an answer I want to be out of pain.

The following user gives a hug of support to Outtapain:
jenga890 (07-24-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
(female)

Yes you should look for a different pain doctor. The reason I say this is the trust was never there when it comes to this current doctor that you are seeing. Even with proof in your MRI he still accuse you. When you are calling around to find one make sure you ask a few questions before making a appointment and it be a waste of time. Ask what treatments they offer with your situation. I know you were talking about your finances so I wanted to ask are you on disability? I am sorry if I am being to personal. Just wanted to see what options that you may have.
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010

Old 07-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

jenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB Userjenga890 HB User

That's fine, I figured I'd ask first. Sometimes there's limitations and that's just how it goes sometimes. Hugs

Old 07-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Outapain, I really think I would get a surgical opinion and just see what your options are. If the surgeon thinks their is a clear cut way to decompress the nerves and relive the leg and hip problems I would seriously consider surgery and let him manage things till you can get in for surgery or finish the diagnostic testing. If your in chicago you shouldn't have to travel far to find an ortho or neuro surgeon. Personally I would look for a Neuro that has done a fellowship and specializes in spine surgery. If you neeed a referral, your GP can do that for ya. I just dont think PM is the right answer if something can be done to fix the bulk of your problems. He can order and interprit the right Diagnostic tests. Their are alot of PM docs that wont see you untill you have seen a suregeon and have gotton a consult so your making an informed decsions weather it surgery or pursuing PM. But if you tuly have bone crushing nerves, no amount of medication is going to make that tolerable whenthings shift and actually crush a nerve.I have more broken hardware from the last surgery and when it shifts and hits a nerve nothing touches that pain other than doing the spine stabalization excercises and trying to get the hardware to shift back into place.

Obviously the stories you read here sound like horor stories but lots of people have bacjk surgery and move on with thier lives, They dont drop n here to tell us of their great results. My dad has had a cervicle fusion 25 years ago and has never had an issue, My father in law , the same with his low back. I know alot more people Personjally that have had succesful surgery than I know that have had failures like mine.. The goal of surgery isn't generally to relieve back pain, it's to resolve the nerve and leg issues. provide stability and if she surgery helps the back pain that's just an added bonus. Where I live I could get into a a surgeon a lot faster than a PM doc. But that's just where I live. Good luck, Dave

Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
(female)

Outtapain HB User

Shoreline thank you again for the advice I greatly appreciate your input and words of wisdom.

Well tomorrow I go back for the second ESI. I feel so nervous because of the way the last one went and the way the last visit went im sick to my stomach. I figured I would give it one more try before I write it off and then I want to speak to a surgeon.

I did ask him last time I saw my PM to give me the number to the surgeon that he thought would do the surgery so I could go for a consult and see what he thinks could be done and he wouldnt do it till after I did the second shot and it fails. Pretty much it makes me feel like he is putting me through another shot knowing it wont work and the shots make my pain a 10.

I will update you guys tomorrow when I get home and thanks again. I will def be looking into surgeons,PMs,neuros and spines specialists.

Closed Thread