It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
(female)

shar115 HB User
Nerve ablation help pls!

Hi! I am new here, so please bear with me. In the last year I had sucommed to a herniated disk (L5-S1), that had me bed bound for two months. The herniation had twisted its way and tangled itself within the nerve, leaving me with outrageous and mind blowing right leg pain that started in my rear and went completely down to my toes. Oh boy it was painful. Since then I had two microdisectomies a month apart (it re-herniated). That surgery worked tremendously. I was pain free for about 6 months, untill the doc had me go to physical therapy and I went back to work. When the pain started again, it got to the point where I couldn't walk again, so went back to the neurosurgeon. He said I was way to young for fusion surgery, so sent me to a pain management doc. He did a series of 3 spinal epidurals. these worked great for about 2 months, now I am back. I had a facet injection for a trial run to see if the ablation would work for me. I had some improvement, but not for a long period of time. So I am hoping that means the procedure would work if done, right?? I would so get this done, even if it hurts a bit if it would help the leg pain in the long run. My problem is that I am a nurse and am on my feet for 12 hrs 3 and sometimes 4 times a week. After a long introduction my question to you all is..... has anyone out there had this procedure for herniation/scar tissue nerve pain and... did it work for you??
Thanks a bunch!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to shar115:
cactuslucy (07-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Nerve ablation help pls!

hi so sorry you are having all this pain and have been thru so much. Yes I have had this done several times both cervical and lumbar and they worked great! I was a little sore afterwards, have to remember to ice affected area and definitely take it easy the next day if you can. It can take up to 2-3 weeks for it to work and then can last 6-12 months I believe. You are not supposed to take any pain meds before the procedure so that you can really feel where the dr. is as far as what nerve he is going to do. First he/she will test it and will make the muscle jump so that you can tell him if that's the area causing your pain. If you're medicated you might not tell him the right area, ya know? You don't want them killing off the nerve that works your leg (motor I believe?) just the one that's causing the pain. It does hurt some but not near what pain you've been going thru so don't worry. good luck and let us know how it goes, cj

Old 07-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
(female)

shar115 HB User
Re: Nerve ablation help pls!

Oh my!! You have no idea how you have made my day. Nothing else has seemed to go my way, but if this works it would be great!! Good to know about the pain meds. That's probably why I couldn't tell if the trial injection worked well or not. Since I went without meds for over 12 hrs, I assumed it did, the pain is just now breaking through. Thanks again!��

The following user gives a hug of support to shar115:
noevr (07-27-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
chronic back pain, radio frequency ablation.