It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User
Can anyone recommend a good pillow

Hi everyone, this has just been a bad week for me pain wise and I am desperate to try anything that will work. Just to recap, besides the fibro pain I have been getting several migraines and major neck pain. The neck pain is nothing new but its really gotten bad. I've tried the heat/ice, advil, stretching etc. I have a feeling I did something at a fair on the other day. My son begged to go on the kiddie roller coaster and I couldn't bring myself to say no, it didn't look like rough and it really wasn't jerky but that's the only thing I have done different this week. Anyway back to my question, I have been waking up with a very stiff neck and head pain in the mornings. I currently use a memory foam pillow but I am thinking about switching to something else to see if it helps. I am a right side and occasional stomach sleeper. I tried sleeping on my left side and back but it causes a lot of sciatic pain so that's out. I would love any recommendations if you have found something that works. Money is a little tight so I don't have the spare income to waste trying a variety of different pillows.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Can anyone recommend a good pillow

Sorry to hear of your bad week...

One thing I do recommend is that you no longer sleep on your stomach. This is the worst possible thing to do for your spine and can cause long term damage with discs/vertebrae curvature.

This is probably one of the main reasons your neck is more sore as on your stomach...your only choice for your head/neck is having it turned all the way to the side which is just awful for it. Trust me on the neck issues...after 3 cervical fusions...this is one area I know extremely well! LOL

I used to sleep on my stomach all the way until my first neck issues in my early 30's. So I stopped doing that immediately.

The best possible choices are on either side and if you are on your back..then a pillow under your knees/lower legs to prop up and make the spine flat.

I bought a tempurpedic mattress topper that is 3 inches thick. This was less expensive than buying the entire mattress but it does the trick to really help from being sore each morning.

I have a tempurpedic head/neck pillow that has the natural curve for your neck. And then I have a long, memory foam pillow that goes from my inner thigh to my feet that goes in between my legs when lying on either side. It is specifically made for this so it is a long and skinny pillow that fits perfectly.

I also have a memory foam smaller pillow that goes in between my arms/elbows when on my side.

This way, my spine is in perfect alignment when sleeping.

I actually change positions close to every hour on the hour....my body is just trained to wake up briefly for this....so I go from back, side to side. This has helped tremendously and has been one of the things that has kept me from having more surgeries my Drs. say because I am taking care of my spine.

Along with daily exercises (walking my dog 45 minutes each day). As well as I do yoga in the morning and the evening.

There are specific stretches for sciatic pain that you can easily ask your Dr. for and along with the mattress topper, pillows for spine alignment, this should really make a difference!

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 07-27-2012 at 10:19 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ilovemycutedog For This Useful Post:
Prettyinpink81 (07-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
(female)

I actually went to physical therapy for sciatica after my doctor suspected a herniated disc
but insurance wouldn't pay for an MRI to confirm it. PT was a complete disaster as the therapist was not used to treating people with fibromyalgia. I would be in tears trying to do the exercises (8 to 10 different exercises with 20 to 30 reps each) The therapists response was well your not overweight so you shouldn't be having such a problem. (Okay that was off topic, lol) I did invest in a foam roller and researched some exercises online I can do with it. I do those and I also consulted with my cousin who is a PT and familiar with fibro. She told me to keep up with the exercises my therpist gave me but only do what I can without causing pain.

I don't usually sleep on my stomach, I go to sleep on my right side but I have woken up a few times having rolled on it. The memory foam pillow is not angled, in your opinion does that make a big difference? When we bought our new bed two years ago, I was looking into a memory foam mattress but decided against it since my fiancee is a bigger guy and they said its not recommended for overweight people because they get stuck in the same position.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Are you asking about your head/neck pillow being curved? Yes..I think it makes a big difference as if you are on your back or side, it fits perfectly to the curve of your neck.

And that is one of the main reasons to get a mattress topper instead of the entire mattress is that it would be very beneficial for you to have the memory foam conform to you and be much less pressure on your spine and sciatic nerve.

For your fiance being a bigger guy...he won't even notice the mattress topper (he will squish it..LOL) so he will still get all the support from the regular mattress you all have. I would be a million bucks he will find it comfortable though!

And worse comes to worse if he doesn't like it...it can be cut in half to just put on your side. Or if you all want, just by a twin size from the start and only keep it on your side.

But this alone, I can't tell you how great it's been. I also have sciatic issues, along with bursitis from time to time on my hips and ever since I bought this...I have barely had any issues!

The key about the exercises and stretches is asking them what pain is just pain and you can work through....and what you can't do that would actually injure yourself.

I have pain every day at a 5-7 level even with all my very strong medications but I still walk every day and do my yoga and stretches because I know it helps me in the long run but this is all ok'd from the Dr. and Physical Therapist.

I find the exercise ball I have is wonderful as well. I can get in a lot of positions that stretch but gently.

And this is where your medication timing comes in handy. Using it right beforehand so it kicks in right after you are done.

And I really apologize as I can get mixed up with everyone's medication...but do they have you on any nerve pain meds? This would be very helpful for your sciatic pain as that is what is causing it...the sciatic nerve irritation.

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 07-27-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
(female)

I am on savella right now, 50mg twice a day. I will have to look into the mattress toppers, thank you. I have become good at recognizing the difference between the feel good pain from exercising and the overdoing it type of pain. That was the problem with my physical therapist. I can do 10 to 15 reps and yes it hurts but its that good kind of pain rather than this is excruciating type of pain I get when overdoing it. I find stretching is very beneficial and I feel so much better after doing it, its the muscle toning exercises I have problems with.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh that's right...the Savella....sorry for forgetting I should start lists for everyone! LOL...

Does that seem to be working for the nerve pain?

And to get the best price for a good memory foam mattress topper...you can price check at Walmart, Target, Sams club/Costco if you belong. I bought mine at Sam's club for about $150 and that was the 3 inch really nice one! Like I said...best investment ever..LOL

My doggy has hip dysplasia and he sleeps on my bed with me so he changes positions every time I do through the night so that and the topper ends up helping his pain and stiffness as well!

Old 07-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
(female)

I have been on it since December, before the sciatic problems started so I honestly can't say if its made a difference or not. It has helped with the fibro so for that reason I don't want to try switching to something new.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyinpink81 View Post
I have been on it since December, before the sciatic problems started so I honestly can't say if its made a difference or not. It has helped with the fibro so for that reason I don't want to try switching to something new.
Sure..that makes sense to stay on it for the Fibro...thanks for sharing more and reminding me of what you are taking

Old 07-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
(female)

No problem. Nobody has a worse memory than I do. I need to go count my pills because for the life of me I can't remember if I just took one.

Closed Thread