It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

puddinhd58 HB User
Pain Doc/Chicago/South Burbs?

Hello all,
If anyone knows of a good compassionate pain doctor in or around chicago/south suburbs of Chicago I would so appreciate it....
Please PM me and I would be discreet...

Old 07-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
(female)

puddinhd58 HB User
Re: Pain Doc/Chicago/South Burbs?

So no one knows anyone? I was so hoping that this forum could point me in the right direction.
I have spent years in pain and for the last 5 years have struggled to work and keep my head about me...
I am a 54 yo woman with pretty severe degenerative disc disease, thoracic, lumbar and cervical. I had a cervical three level fusion about 7 years ago but it left me with chronic cervical headaches.
I have osteoarthitris of the knees, shoulders and hands.

I also have a pretty severe case of GERD and my last endoscopy showed ulcers and erosions due to too much Aleve, asprin, etc...

The doctor I am going to now (just an internist) must be very against pain meds as all she wants to rx is tramadol. All that does is make my headaches worst...

I am quite frankly at my wits end. If anyone has any suggestions, I sure would appreciate it! Have a good evening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

The best place to find a pain management doctor who is in your area and that participates in your insurance is to check your insurance website or directory. If that fails you can contact your county's medical licensing board, or check with your local hospitals , they usually have a physician referral service .
The problem with asking for referrals in boards like these is that finding someone who lives in your area is hit or miss at best, as well as not knowing who is covered by your insurance or not amongst other problems with trying to get a referral off the internet. There are a couple of physician review sites/rate your md sites on the internet, so maybe do a search for those and you may find some names of doctors in your area that way.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
(female)

puddinhd58 HB User

Thanks for responding backhurtz.... I know to check hospital for pain management docs, but some just push injections, (I have had TONS of those with minimule results) or are just not compassionate...
I know what you are saying though as far as not anyone from this area maybe...

I will keep searching! Thanks much for taking the time to help...

Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Yeah....I'm sorry but I'm not from that area...As mentioned...check with your insurance company to see which ones offer "Comprehensive pain programs"...This means they do everything from medicaton, injections, physical therapy, etc.

So this is what you want to ask for and the key is not asking, "Do you prescribe pain medication?"...Most of them will tell you over the phone they do not as they get hundreds of calls a day from addicts just looking for a narcotics fix...

So when you call places...just say that you are looking to find a comprehensive program that includes all modalities of helping with your pain.

Is it mainly headaches that is your pain source? Or other issues...For headaches...you should be seeing a Neurologist.

When you ask your internist for a referral to a pain mgmt. Dr. have they refused to do this? How about your primary care provider?

And just realize that starting over at a new Drs...you may have to do a few more injections as they are starting from scratch with you. Because if you go in saying that you've tried everything and only want narcotics to treat your pain....they will likely run in the other direction...You have to be open to everything with a new DR..

Good luck...

Closed Thread