It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
(male)

vinrock3 HB User
gotta pay cash

i ran into the same problem with filling my narcotics with going through my insurance untill finally someone told me your gonna have to pay cash for them. it took me 5 days to try and find my narcotics with trying to use my insurance but once i mentioned CASH then they had them in stock . pharmacists are turning into legalized drug dealers with no concern for the sick. the state of florida needs to step in and solve this problem. my advice is to go to a mom and pop pharmacy and fill one script at a time as you can afford them since he is on so many narcotics it would cost you in the thousands to fill them all at once.just when you go mention CASH and not your insurance and you just might get somewhere.good luck

Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User
Re: gotta pay cash

Something else to keep in mind if you don't have prescription coverage is a lot of pharmacies offer a discount program to help pay for generics.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
(male)

vinrock3 HB User

i have prescription coverage but you gotta pay cash to get your meds in florida .bottom line

Old 07-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know why some pharmacists are like that. I'm not in FL so I didn't know it was that bad. Here I've been using the same pharmacy (chain) since I moved here 5 years ago. But now I'm out of town visiting my mom and when I tried to pick up my meds, somehow the "insurance isn't covered at this pharmacy". Which makes no sense since I filled the same scripts with the same pharamcy in tx all the time. AND my insurance covered one of them. I ended up having to have the scripts transferred back to tx and have them filled at the pharm there. No trouble. Dad fed-exed them to me. What is wrong with these pharmacists? The stupid tech wouldn't even call my insurance!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Waters...If I remember correctly...your mom lives in a completely different state than you, right? Were you trying to fill a narcotic? Even with a regular prescription...they do have to go through a process before transferring a prescription to another state.

I do agree that there are some pharmacists that when they see a red flag on something they won't go the extra mile to figure it out and just reject it and have you call the insurance company or the Dr.

Vinrock...I know plenty of people who use their insurance to fill their narcotic prescriptions in Florida...in fact many pharmacies actually are the opposite and will NOT allow a prescription to be filled and paid for by cash if you have insurance. This is how many addicts (NOT SAYING YOU ARE AT ALL) fill things trying to double up and Dr. shop...

I would be calling my Dr. and my insurance company to ask them for help. Make absolutely sure that they know you had to pay cash for these prescriptions as Florida is one of the states (41 of them) that has the Prescription Monitoring Program that tracks your prescriptions anywhere in the state when you fill them whether you pay cash, use insurance, etc. And another reason to notify your Dr. asap is because many patients on narcotics have a pain mgmt. contract and only allow their prescriptions to be filled at one pharmacy.

So anyone who has a problem getting a prescription filled with their insurance needs to find out where the problem is. As well as contact their Dr. immediately as they can make phone calls for you as well.

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 07-30-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
(male)

vinrock3 HB User

i been there and done that with calling my insurance and even filling grevances with the ins. co. and the pharmacys.the problem lies in that the pharmacy can sell the same pill for 3 bucks if you pay cash but if you use your insurance the insurance co. will not pay that amount so the pharmacy can make more money by just selling narcotics for cash rather than using your insurance.LEGALIZED DRUG DEALING PHARMACYS!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycutedog View Post
Waters...If I remember correctly...your mom lives in a completely different state than you, right? Were you trying to fill a narcotic? Even with a regular prescription...they do have to go through a process before transferring a prescription to another state.
Oh no. They filled the narcotic but wouldn't fill my non-narcotic allergy pills and another non-narcotic prescription. I just got so frustrated we sent the whole lot back to TX.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
(female)

vinroc, that must be extremely frustrating.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I am out of state for the summer and just had my mom and pop pharmacy ship me my meds. I would never expect the 2 chains that are where I am to deal with my meds. I am in FL and it dependds what meds you are on. The whole thing is a mess. I ran into trouble and as I do not have the energy to go to all the different pharmacies I called to see if they had my meds in stock or could get them and as soon as I mentioned the name they got cold and said no. I don't think calling is a good idea because most pharmacies will just tell you they don't have them over the phone.

I try and deal with the same pharmacy and I get to know the pharmacists and techs, makes life much easier. I also had a second pharmacy that knew me in case they forgot to order them or one time they couldn't get them from the distributor.

I cannot imagine going through every month not knowing if the pharmacy was going to have your meds.

As far as cash, I thought that actually made more of an issue because the pharmacists thought you were trying to bypass your insurance.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
(male)

vinrock3 HB User

i go to see my pain mangmt doc this week so well see if they take my ins for my meds but im gonna tell the pharmacy im gonna pay cash at first and then when they say my scripts are ready im gonna give them my insurance card and then well see what happens.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Vin...are you new to pain management? You sound like you have not been going to the same pharmacy each month that knows you...that knows and accepts your insurance. This is what most of us do. Especially because of our pain mgmt. contract....we are only supposed to go to one pharmacy....

I just can't believe that there are all these awful pharmacists out there that are all refusing to take insurance...

Walmart, Targe, Costco, and Sam's club all accept insurance for opiates. Are you really saying that every single one of these when you walked in and showed them your legitimate prescription...they all said they don't have the medicine. And then you said you would pay cash and then they said, "ok"?

If you have only just been calling them on the phone and then showing up paying cash...that is different as they may just be saying no to everyone on the phone for safety issues.

I've just never heard of this happening before....as I mentioned earlier as well as Boxlover...most pharmacies are the complete opposite and won't accept cash when you have insurance.

Why don't you get your Dr. involved?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #12
(male)

vinrock3 HB User

ive been going to pain managmnt for years now and i did at one time use the same pharmacy but last month they told me they were no longer going to stock the hydromorphone anymore because of a problem with the manufactuer they were getting there hydromorphone from and that they would contact me if there were any changes.ive also been going there just to make sure that if there was good news but no luck.think about this if a pharmacy can make more money by cash transactions instead of going through insurance because we all know insurance companies dont pay the same price to the pharmacys per pill there gonna pay what the insurance is only gonna pay thats there list of prices are.for instance when i was using my insurance for the hydromorphone the pharmacy was only getting 90 cents a pill but when the pharmacy sells them by cash only i gotta pay 3 dollars.now you get the picture .thats why i say florida pharmacists are turning into legalized drug dealers.i dont sell my pills and nor am i a drug addict.florida is known as the pill mill state and theres all these b.s. laws that cause these pharmacys to do what they do and there getting away with it.last month i found a pharmacy and like i said i had to pay cash.the only way the pharmacist said i could use my ins. is if this month i have 6 non narcotic scripts to go along with the narcotic.that tells you right there that if they fill 7 scripts there gonna make money off the ins. because there just not filling one script and making pennys.i told my doc and ins.co.so well see what happens this friday when i go.hopefully you can understand its all about the all mighty dollar. i will keep yall posted.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

As I've mentioned....are you walking into a pharmacy....asking to speak with the head pharmacist...showing them all your prescriptions and just asking if they take your insurance? Either the answer is going to be yes or no. And if you have some obscure insurance company that many pharmacies do not use...then I would call the insurance and ask them what pharmacies they have contracts with...

Otherwise...I can't see them saying they will accept your insurance for some meds but not others.

You can easily report any pharmacy that does this...

Have you tried Walgreens, Target, Walmart, Costco, and Sams club? Again...going there in person?

Did your pharmacy say they are no longer filling ANY Dilaudid generic or brand of any dosage?

And did you contact your Dr. about this? And your insurance company? What did they say?

Again...I know quite a few people who have prescriptions for Dilaudid and get them filled with no problem using their insurance in Florida. So I'm not understanding why you are having such a problem

**And obviously you don't have to answer any of the questions if you choose. I am just very curious as I know there are some bad seeds out there (some pharmacists, Drs. etc.) but can't imagine every single pharmacy in the entire area refusing to fill meds with your insurance.

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 07-31-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

I will say that if you do have insurance and have to pay cash for a script, you should try to submit it for reimbursement to your insurance company. I've done this on rare occasions and it usually goes through with no problem. At least that way, you're out of the money now but you get it back (or most of it) down the road. BTW, that situation in FL sounds really screwed up!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
(male)

vinrock3 HB User

just to give you all an example. i called wallgreens head office for the state of florida and they did a search in my area which i live close to tampa and they told me the closest wallgreens that had my hydromorphone was about a 2hr drive and when i called that wallgreens they told me that i lived too far away and they only serve locals and would not fill my script and i asked them if they could ship them to my local wallgreens which is 5 min from my home they told me i would have to use wallgreens mail in program ,which i did register for just in case i run into the same problem friday,but the bad thing about that is you mail your scripts to there main pharmacy in orlando and by the time they get them and verify them with my doc and ship them back i was told it takes 10 to14 days .that probably will be a last resort if i run into the same b.s. this week

Closed Thread