It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
(male)

freddy0303 HB Userfreddy0303 HB User
fent patch and working in heat / input please

I have been on fentany patches for 2 + years with zero issues. Recently with my job I am outside "covered/shaded" 4 hours a day "between 3am-7am" . Keep in mind i live in Phx, AZ. I have never had any issues wearing the patch, but just this past monday the temps are even hotter and I felt like I was getting really ,, really tired. I have never felt like this before. We all know the med is released based on body temps etc. Thats one reason they forbid you wearing a patch and laying in hot tubs for long periods and electric blankets etc.
The only thing I can think of is this is the first time in my life iam using a fent patch and also working in extreme temps. I personally think large amounts of the med are being released while in the heat for a long period of time and thats what I am feeling the tiredeness from. With some changes I made to changing times of the patch I feel my theory is correct because since the change I made I felt fine and did not feel tired in any way. If anyone has experience or facts regarding wearing a fent patch and being in hi temps for long periods of time please share with me your findings. Like i mentioned this is the first time I have ever felt such a thing but also this is the first time working in heat for a few hours and using the fent patch. Hope you all are feeling well and thanks for your time.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: fent patch and working in heat / input please

I haven't experienced this myself, but I have definitely read enough patient experiences on the patch to say you are right on. Tiredness can be one of the first signs of a mild OD. Some folks can get dangerous levels of meds if their body temp gets up high enough...if you start to have anything beyond a bit more sedation, it can get dangerous. Even if you were to immediately take off the patch, you already have the med stored in your fat at the higher level, which will continue to release. I've heard some folks resorting to putting the patch on a cooler part of their body (even the calf), or putting ice on it intermittently if needed, but its definitely something to talk to your doctor about. Some folks find the patch works well, but not in summer (due to the various heat related problems, wardrobe, etc), so they actually switch on & off of it on a schedule. Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
(male)

Thanks for the reply. No disrespect to my dr but I have learned that any doctors I have talked to in regards to how pain meds effect you etc all they know is what they read. The info and knowledge in literature is all from drug trials which are not always accurate etc. I have experience in drug trials and not always are facts released. My point is honest long time patients that take the meds know and experience these things. All they know is what they read. My dr asks me things every time I see them. Such as I stagger my patches.I asked him about this a year ago and said he had never heard of it but seems like a idea worth trying. So we did and he let me try my idea and it worked great. The reason was I wasnt getting a full 48 hrs out of the patch. Now he says he has numerous patients doing that and it works great. We the patients using the meds are the ones they learn from. All the drug literature was released when they complile theinfo obtained in drug trials. Such as fent patch drug trials all patients used in those trials were bed ridden cancer patients not active people living there lives in a active manner. Anyways hopefully you see my point and Im sure you will agree. Feel good and thanks for the input..

Old 08-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
(male)

Anybody else experience or have suggestions with the patch in heat. This is the first time iam working in the heat only for 3-4 hrs at night. Been on patch for 2 yrs with zero issues even when laying in sun in past years etc. So i know its because of heat iam in for those 3-4 hrs at night. I love to read peoples experiences and suggestions becasue this is how we all learn. This past week i changed up my changing time and another thing and it helped alot. So not feeling the tiredness / fatigue anymore. Thanks yall..

Closed Thread