It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User
Pain relief for leg pain

Hi everyone, I am at my wits end right now and will take any advice that's offered. Quick background I have fibro, mps, and chronic migraines. Friday evening I started getting tingling in both thighs which I chalked up to "oh crap another symptom of fibro" Yesterday throughout the day the pain got consistently worse as well as I started getting muscle weakness. It feels like my legs weigh a ton. I woke up this morning and the pain and weakness have been horrid. I also had charlie horses in my calf and have noticed muscle twitching. Its 4pm and so far I haven't been out of bed except to use the bathroom which involves me gripping the wall to keep from falling. I've taken hydrocodone 7.5 which for some reason only lasted 2 hours as well as advil and a muscle relaxer with very little relief (although it did allow me to get some sleep so I am in a better mental state than I was in) I have also been tying a heating pad to my thighs for a half hour every hour. I have no idea what is wrong and am desperate for anything to relieve the pain. (Obviously I know you can't say take more pain medication but any home remedies are welcome) I also tried stretching when the vicodin was working and did not notice a difference.

Just a quick note, I take savella for nerve pain as well as soma, hydrococdone, and trazodone for sleep. Suppliments I take are magnesium, melatonin, b complex, d3, and fish oil. I cannot go to the ER. My fiancee is out of town and my son is with a neighbor for a few hours.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
(female)

dedwards HB User
Re: Pain relief for leg pain

I have heard that too much magnesium will have an effect on your legs like Restless Leg Syndrome.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
(female)

I just researched restless leg syndrome and it doesn't seem to fit my symptoms. They said nothing about pain or weakness but thank you for the info. My doctor and pharmacist both keep a list of what suppliments I take so hopefully one of them would notice if I was taking too much. I take 350mg on most days. I read somewhere you are not supposed to take them with muscle relaxers so days when spasms are really bad I don't take any.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

It can be potassium levels as that can cause pain as well as twitching.

Or it can be where you have a pinched nerve near your spine so that is travelling down your legs.

I can't think of anything that would be an emergency unless you have other symptoms that are affecting you with a high fever, vomiting, or anything like that.

Obviously we aren't Drs. on here...so I'm just giving thoughts...

I know with your other health issues lately, have you been a lot less mobile and resting when not at work? Do you have a daily exercise regime?

Old 08-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
(female)

I do daily stretching and some core building exercises as well as the chasing a toddler exercise program. The muscle weakness is what is really scaring me, I have had numbless and tingling before, primarily in my ankles but its never been to this point. I have recently had my potassium levels checked and do eat well but its worth mentioning to my doctor again. I was able to take another vicodin so the pain has dimished a bit, I just hope it lasts longer than it has been. Im not getting any pain in my back and it doesn't feel like sciatica especially because its in both legs.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

I keep forgetting you have that toddler! LOL...That definitely is your own personal exercise system

When there is a pinched nerve in your back which can be caused by a bone spur, or even a disc squishing out a tiny bit...you may not feel any pain in your back but in your legs.

So, it's just something to monitor and if it persists for a month or more or gets so severe that you are moving towards a 10 in the pain scale..(where Vicodin would not help at all) .then it would be time for a MRI...

But many times, these things can get resolved on their own. In the meantime..just to be safe...ALWAYS bend with your knees and do not reach over to pick something heavy up...This can cause a disc to move out of place a bit...So it could have been picking up your daughter that caused this particular flare..

And those of us with Fibro....things like this can be exacerbated with the nerve pain so something that would be minimal to someone else...since we already have over active nerve sensations....it is more extreme to us.

Again...you can always contact your Dr. tomorrow to ask them or speak with them the next appt.

A good thing to do is keep a journal going at all times and that way you can look at activity, movement (ie..picking up your daughter as I mentioned), type of food intake, weather, etc. As well as writing down what the pain feels like...Stabbing, shooting, deep ache, throbbing, etc. Then when you see your Dr. you can have all these details to try and pinpoint the cause.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, have you tried hot epson salt baths or at least hot baths? Just in case its a back thing you could try ice on the lumbar region in case in a disc inflammation problem. I'd definitely make an appt w/ my gp or rheumy though. Other good meds for leg pain (if its nerve pain) are those like lyrica, neurontin, topomax. I'm sure you've heard of those. Hope this helps (((HUGS))) cj

Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
(female)

I actually started a pain journal last week. As for the MRI when I started having sciatic pain my doctor ordered one but insurance refused to pay for it. They did send me to PT which helped a bit but the therapist was not familiar with fibro and could not understand why I couldn't do 30 reps at a time. I consulted with my cousin who is a PT (unfortunately out of state) and she told me to do the exercises at my comfort level. Obviously I can't do every exercise every day but I try my best without overdoing it. The pain it both in the back and front of my thighs but its worse in the front. At this point I am ready to trade this crappy body in for a new model. I tried getting up and moving a few minutes ago, I still feel like I am ready to topple over. I hope when my son gets home that he's in the mood for snuggling and an early bedtime.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

With pain and weakness in the muscles, you could have a myositis, an inflammation of the muscles. There are different kinds of myositis, but generally fall in the autoimmune category. I would want to see my Dr. (a rheum if you have one) to get muscle enzymes checked in the blood (CK and aldolase). These are high in myositis. The charliehorse feeling and twitches can go along with that. RLS can cause pain in legs but not weakness. Myositis can be a side effect of statins, but it doesn't sound like you are on one.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

This does not sound like a problem originating in your lumbar spine. It would be extremely unusual to have pain in both the front of the thigh and the back of the thigh at the same time as different nerves innervate those two areas. Typical sciatic pain runs down the back of the thigh and often stops around knee level. The pain in the front of the thigh, if it were caused by a compressed spinal nerve, would stem from either the lumbar 3 or less likely, lumbar 4 spinal nerves.

It would be a bit unusual to have nerve compression come on so quickly in two areas of the lumbar spine without previous symptoms or accident of some type, and in both legs at the same time.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yep...it's unlikely that it's a lumbar disc issue....just trying to rack our brains to list any possible cause..

Old 08-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
(female)

Still not sure what's going on. The bath helped a little and the pain is just annoying enough to keep me from sleeping. Im calling the doctor tomorrow so hopefully I can get in and get something that helps.

Closed Thread