It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User
Anyone here has experience to try Elavil?

I just want to know if anyone here had experience to try Elavil .
I had low back and right leg pain since May 2008 because a big herniated disc at that time. The low back pain almost gone after doing some treatments but the right leg pain became persistent .Recently my Neurology let me to try Elavil to treat
my moderate leg pain because he believed it can help.I already had tried Lyrica but didn't help. I checked the Elavil website to find that Elavil usually is used to treat antidepressant. The side effect include drowsiness and dizziness. I like to know if I take it 25mg at 8pm night and I still can drive on the morning to go to work.

Thanks!

Last edited by efang; 08-06-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Anyone here has experience to try Elavil?

I only have experience with this when I was in my early 20's and was having terrible headaches. I couldn't handle being on it as it made me feel too woozy and out of it.

But everyone is different and many people do completely fine with this medication.

As far as driving the next morning, you really need to just see how you feel...Do you live with anyone else? I would have them watch you in the morning to see how you are doing as sometimes we "think" we are fine when we aren't.

Is there any way you can come in late to work that day?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I have tried it without success, but it works well for pain for a lot of folks. Most of these non-narcotic meds used to treat pain are off label. Anti depressants, anti seizure meds and the like have been found to have pain relieving properties. Often doctors don't explain that well enough. It is my personal motto to only try new meds on the weekends, just in case. I also don't try anything new while home alone, on a vacation, etc. That said, I have tried probably well over 100 meds and I've never had a scary reaction. There have been some where I was very glad I didn't have to go to work the next day though!

This med does make some people drowsy to the point they could not be alert for work 10 or even 12 hours after taking it. A small amount of folks get hyped up by it. I think the majority would be fine to take it 8 hours before waking up. I did better taking it a couple hours before bedtime, so it gave it more time to work through my system. Keep in mind that like similar meds, it can take a couple months to properly trial this med...its not like a pain killer or muscle relaxer where you know right away whether it will be beneficial. If it was me I'd wait to the weekend to start it, then you don't have to worry. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
waters04 (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

hi-
i am rx'd elavil(amyltriptine). also halcion and doxipine, for severe insomnia from chronic pain. before my PM sent me to NEURO; i , i was so tired, and had no problem falling asleep= i just could not stay asleep. my Pm is wondeful and the rx for pain he prescribes mr does help, but i suffer some pretty bad flair ups-i now am able to sleep 4 to 5hrs of restful sleep and am so grateful. I aslo take reqip for my legs.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User

Thanks for all reply messages. I will try it at weekend and start to take 10 mg then 25 mg. I will let you know my feeling . Thanks!

Last edited by efang; 08-08-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Closed Thread