It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
Question Amitriptyline & PN

My MD rx'ed Amitriptyline 25mg for the peripheral neuropathy in my feet. My main complaint is pain at night affecting my sleep. Last night I cautiously split the 25mg in half and took that dosage. I slept great but I have been groggy all day and spent most of the day on the sofa drifting in and out. I cannot imagine what I would feel like if I had of taken the entire 25mg. The med has seemed to have curbed much of my PN pain and for that reason I would like to continue with this med but I cannot get much done feeling this way.
I am considering splitting the 12.5mg half in half again and trying that. I also wonder if I will adjust to this med with time. Comments appreciated, thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: Amitriptyline & PN

Yes this could get better over time. Or even less of a dose may continue to be helpful but with less side effects. Interesting that you got relief with this first dose! Often it takes weeks to kick in, if it even helps a condition at all. Maybe its different for PN that for other pain conditions though. You may also be able to take it a couple hours before bedtime to minimize some of the next day grogginess. Its pretty typical to hear that folks are groggy the next morning, but to have that last much of the day is more unusual.

I hope you are able to adjust to this med. You may want to ask your doctor about the 10mg dose since splitting a pill into fourths can be inaccurate, ans I seem to remember these are small pills. If it doesn't work out, there are other options to discuss with your doctor. Some folks even take medications to counteract another medication's side effects because it is so beneficial (a stimulant in your case), but that of course has its own risks, and that wouldn't be something to do before trying other PN meds. Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

tortoisegirl,

Thanks for you reply. My PN pain is not totally gone with the med. It is still there but tolerable enough to allow me to sleep. Last night I split the half tablet without any difficulty and took 1/4 of the tablet. I still slept good and my PN pain is still mild to moderate. I woke with more energy and was able to get some stuff done. I will try another 1/4 tab, (6.25mg), and see how that goes.
BTW, I am very sensitive to all meds. With some meds I cannot even take a child's dose.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

Hi, it took me a week to get used to this drug, i am also on 25mg. After that I felt much better. I take mine 4 to 5 hours before I go to bed I find this helps me feel more awake in the mornings.

Good luck,

Closed Thread