It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
(male)

CMTICMTI HB User
Pain Management Epideral Bill

My son had a pain management session - epideral in April 2012. Torrance Memorial Hospital just sent us a bill for over $10,000!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Pain Management Epideral Bill

Hi there...If you could please provide some more details..that would be good. How old is your son and does he have his own health insurance or is he covered under your insurance?

First off...are you positive that this is an actual bill from the Drs. office saying that you/he owes this money. Or is it just a "copy" of the bill that goes to the insurance and showing what is charged them...

With many insurance companies, they need a pre-authorization for procedures like an epidural steroid injection. Did he/you follow up with the DRs. office to make sure that he was approved for this before getting the injection? I used to always call and follow up with both the office and my insurance and get the approval number.

The main reason that the patient has to follow through is because they/or you as their gaurdian sign a document stating that if there are any costs not covered by insurance than you are responsible for payment. So this is crucial to do before the injection..

Has he, you, or anyone else dealt with medications, procedures, or treatments previous to do this and how the insurance company and a Drs. office works?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

My wife has them done every 4 months at the PM office. They generally bill about 1800 bucks. The negotiated price is closer to 600. Did your child need anesthesia where an anesthesiologist had to sit in along with the doc doing the procedure, this might add a a couple grand but 10K is absurd for an ESI. Hopefully you have insurance and they have to accept whatever the pre negotiated price for this procedure is and it's nowhere near 10 K. Kinda crazy that the folks without insurance are simply at the whim of the docs billing dept, they certainly dont get that kind of money from anyone with insurance but it allows them to right off the difference as a loss on their taxes. Insurance is going to toss out 2/3 to 3/4 of that price if not more but cash customers dont have any negotiating power aside from maybe saving 10% for paying the balance up front. Crazy crazy.
Good luck, Dave

Old 08-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Absolutely agree with Shoreline...I was focused so much on the other issues/questions for you CMTICMTI that I wasn't paying attention to it being 10 THOUSAND but had 1 thousand in my brain....

That is absolutely crazy for that price and as mentioned, unless there was complications or anethesia or other things that are not normal...and ESI should never be close to that price!

Closed Thread