It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
(female)

rumorwild HB Userrumorwild HB User
Pain meds for after surgery? Need advice

Hi, I was on lortab 10 then fent patches for years and two months ago I just got tired of being on them so I went to detox and got off of all meds. I now take 800 ibphrofen for the pain and it's working pretty good and I do not want to take anymore narcotic pain meds if I don't absolutely have to. I'm needing some minor surgery that will be very painful during recovery and I was wanting to know if there is anything they can give me for pain that isn't addictive like the stuff I was taking. I just don't want to have to take anything like that if I can keep from it.
Thanks for any help

Old 09-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: Pain meds for after surgery? Need advice

Unless you have a reason to think that you will be on pain medications for an extended period of time after this procedure, then typically a patient is put on something like vicoden or percocet once you are discharged from the hospital or surgery center. Usually, those type of meds are only given for a short period of time- 10 days or so post procedure and then the patient is not taking them any longer. You shouldn't have any problems stopping their use if you follow the prescriber's directions. You can see if the anti inflammatories cover the pain prior to your discharge and if they do, then request that they only give you those for managing the pain if you are comfortable with that.
Back

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

if your tolerance to pain is high-then perhaps a prescription strength anti-inflammatory coupled with an over the counter pain reliever on a short term basis maybe enough for you-but if you say the procedure is going to be "very painful" then you would probably need a short acting narcotic as previously suggested for at least the ten days.

I dont think suffering is the answer simply because you dont want to take a narcotic medication-this type of thinking is unhealthy and may prolong the post op healing if you are in pain not touched by the non-narcotic medication in my opinion.

If you can get by with non-narcotic pain relievers that is great, but i think you already know that severe pain wont be helped by those.Why the ambivalence ? D
id you have an addiction problem with the Lortab?

If so share your concern with the surgeon, if that's not it then there is nothing wrong with receiving adequate post op pain relief with a narcotic.

i use narcotics for intractable chronic pain and i am DEPENDANT on them for pain control, without them i have no quality of life-and it is about quality of life for me; i do not want to be bedridden and miserable. these medications allow me to do things i could not do before like make dinner and fold laundry-things most people take for granted but for me, these little things do alot for my moral and self-worth.

No one should have to or be made to feel like you should be able to take the pain.
you should have the narcotic pain med on hand just in case the other non-narcotic med is not relieving the post-op pain. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Ive had lots of surgery and never had an issue coming off the post op meds, even when meds were taken for a month or longer post op. I would generally start with one or two scripts for percocet and then they would drop me down to lortab 7.5 for a couple weeeks then regular Vicodin 5mgs for a few weeks and then no more. Never experienced withdrawal. The way they were dispensed it was pretty much like a taper. The last script might have been for 30 vicodin and 3 or 4 vicodin a day was never enough to cause any type of dependence issue.

After you have gone through detox, your tolerance will reset, what you took before would likely be way to strong at this point and the more time you put between the last time you had Pain meds and the next time you need them the more any lingering tolerance will deminish. I really dont think you have to worry. if in fact you do start to ask for more than the prior week a couple weeks post op, it means something is wrong and the surgeon should have you come in rather than simply increase you dose when you should be feeling better. I get detox programs are all about abstinence from all substances, however unless you truly became addicted, abused, doc shopped, etc etc, short term use for acute pain shouldn't be an issue.

What kind of surgery are you having, the docs can give you ultram but thats not entirely without risk of dependence when used long term. Anything weaker is going to be over the counter.
Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 09-26-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: grammer

Closed Thread