It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Perfumed Fan HB User
Coughing so much my ribs hurt -- what would ease the pain?

I'm taking lisinopril for hypertension. It makes me cough. Sometimes so hard I double over. The left side of my ribcage is starting to hurt. Would heat or ice help? What about an arnica cream or that lotion made for diabetic neuropathy? I can't take aspirin and Tylenol isn't helping much.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
(female)

RPM12 HB UserRPM12 HB UserRPM12 HB User
Re: Coughing so much my ribs hurt -- what would ease the pain?

I would think Advil or Motrin would be a good choice if you can take those.

I was prescribed Lisinopril for my hypertension. It made me cough horribly, and didn't let up, plus it gave me pain in my feet and lower legs, nerve type pain. I read about it and found out many people had a similar reaction.

My Doctor just upped my other BP med, and I got off the Lisinopril.

I realize it's supposed to be good for diabetics with HBP, but I'm not diabetic, and did not want the side effects.

The Following User Says Thank You to RPM12 For This Useful Post:
Perfumed Fan (09-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

If a medication is causing you pain, please talk to your doctor about other options. They can only switch it if you tell them. There should be other options. I would think anything topical would be safe and worth a try, similar to heat or ice. What about Naproxen/Aleve or Ibuprofen/Advil? It just depends what feels the best to you. Those are just stop gaps until you can get into see your doctor though. They should also check to see if the coughing has caused physical damage. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

There is an antihypertensive that is very much like Lisinopril called Losartan (Cozar) that works just as well but doesn't cause cough. Maybe your Dr could switch you to that. The cough won't stop until you are off the Lisinopril, as it is a very common side effect that doesn't let up.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #5
(male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User

Talk with your primary care physician. I am not an MD or qualified to give medical advise. That said, NSAIDs (Aleve, Advil etc) can significantly interfer with the effectiveness of lisinopril and many other BP meds in the majority of people. Not using any NSAIDs might allow you to take lower dosages of lisinopril and lessen the intensity of your cough. For now your doctor might Rx a mild codeine based cough surpressant, the kind that use to be available OTC before kids start gulping entire bottles. If you have coughed enough to tear any rib cartilage, you might need something a little stronger while it heals, and are not using NSAIDs. Heat and cold packs can help with comfort and healing.

Again, I am not qualified to give any medical advise, talk with your doctor.

When I was taking 2-3 Aleve a day for base level cervical pain, 40mg of lisinopril a day barely kept me at 150/90. A month after stopping all NSAIDs 20mg keeps me below 130/80. One NSAID a week does not affect me, but just one every other day does start raising my BP after a week or so.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daffydolphin For This Useful Post:
Perfumed Fan (09-26-2012)
Closed Thread