It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
(male)

The Hut HB User
Question Nucynta questions

I was taking 3 5/325 percs a day for a long time and I developed a tolerance naturally. My doctor pxed me 100 mg Nucynta ER x2 a day with 50 mg immediate release nucynta every six hours (x3 a day).

I haven't come across any info about people being on both at the same but I get the purpose...kind of like being on oxycotin and oxycodon for break through pain. But doesn't the nucynta have some kind or SSRI in them? Is it still ok to take all these pills and if so how should I split the doses.

I can tell you one things for sure. I took the ER and the IR pretty close to each other and I felt the same feeling I get on prozak. Very spacey and a touch of hypomaina. (yes..it happens that fast for me). Anyway I felt good after about an hour for another 2 hours...then I got a headache and I almost never get headaches. Also VERY anxious feelings. and the pain relieve I'm assuming for the IR only lasted for about 2 hours. I'm also hearing the "first time on Ambien whispers".

It's weird...its like taking a prozak, ambien and 5 mg vicodan all at once. I don't think I like that but I guess I'll give it a week. It did help the pain almost as much a 5 mg perc but do the side effects ever calm down? Really any insight you guys might have will help.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
(male)

The Hut HB User
Re: Nucynta questions

2nd day has been much better. No headaches, less anxiety...good pain relief all in all probably even better than 5/325 percosets but not as long lasting. Not as much of that up and down euphoria like with traditional opiates, surprised its not a CIII though. The euphoria is nice when you first start with opiates but after a few weeks or so, you start to notice that it's a side effect, not a intended or desired effect. For me it got old and I'd rather just be pain free.

My plan for dosages has been/will be 1 100mg ER with 1 50mg IR at 7:00 AM, a 50mg IR at 1:00 PM followed by 1 100mg ER with 1 50mg 7:00 PM. Anyone with XP does this sound reasonable and like a good plan? I'll ask my doctor of course as well, just wanted to know if anyone else had XP with Nucynta.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Did your doctor write the script for the IR to be taken every 6 hours (3 a day), or every 6 hours as needed? There is a big difference between IR meds on a schedule and as needed. It would be more common to only take the IR/breakthrough med as needed, as that way when you have a pain spike, it'll actually work. Otherwise, if you take the IR med on a schedule, you might as well just switch that over to ER.

If the ER doesn't last 12 hours, then I'd talk to your doctor about that specifically. It is common to have to move up doses or dosing frequency, as they typically start you at something very safe with a new med. If the IR is really meant to be taken on a schedule, then I think you may get the most of it currently by taking it when you feel the ER wearing off (before the 12 hours). Otherwise, if you take them both at the same time and you are noting they don't last long, you will be having some big spikes, first in side effects, then later, in pain.

I haven't taken Nucynta, but I have heard that more so than other meds its hit & miss (some folks just don't respond to it). In general, side effects do tend to subside as you get used to the med and built opiate tolerance. Can't advice you specifically on this med though. If you have concerns, definitely put a call into your doctor or try to get your appointment moved up.

Good news is this is a step into the direction of a long acting med, which should give you more stable pain relief than taking a short acting med three times a day. Don't be afraid to discuss with your doctor how you are doing so tweaks can be made, but I wouldn't be requesting specific meds or doses. It can take some time for a long acting med to get stable into your system (maybe someone else knows specifically for this one), so you may get greater pain relief after a period of days or weeks. Best wishes.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

dv8er HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hut View Post
I was taking 3 5/325 percs a day for a long time and I developed a tolerance naturally. My doctor pxed me 100 mg Nucynta ER x2 a day with 50 mg immediate release nucynta every six hours (x3 a day).

I haven't come across any info about people being on both at the same but I get the purpose...kind of like being on oxycotin and oxycodon for break through pain. But doesn't the nucynta have some kind or SSRI in them? Is it still ok to take all these pills and if so how should I split the doses.

I can tell you one things for sure. I took the ER and the IR pretty close to each other and I felt the same feeling I get on prozak. Very spacey and a touch of hypomaina. (yes..it happens that fast for me). Anyway I felt good after about an hour for another 2 hours...then I got a headache and I almost never get headaches. Also VERY anxious feelings. and the pain relieve I'm assuming for the IR only lasted for about 2 hours. I'm also hearing the "first time on Ambien whispers".

It's weird...its like taking a prozak, ambien and 5 mg vicodan all at once. I don't think I like that but I guess I'll give it a week. It did help the pain almost as much a 5 mg perc but do the side effects ever calm down? Really any insight you guys might have will help.
Hello,

We are in the same boat, literally. I just posted my first post (I'm a newbie), and I am questioning Nucynta, too!! I've been prescribed almost every narc known to man I feel like, with Percocet being the last +year-long episode. I was taking four 10-325mg per day, but long story short, doc pulled me back. You can read the details in my most recent post. Anyway, I'm taking 75mg of Nucynta 3x per day, but will be switching to ER with 50's or 75's for breakthrough. I'm not exactly fond of the Nucynta, it makes me feel weird. I've been on it a week and the sedating effects are too much for me to take. The relief it provides me isn't enough to deal with the side effects. My PM doc said it's between vic and perc...what do you think?

Old 11-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User

I am taking nucynta 200 mg ER every 12 hours. The dr gave me 4 roxyc 15mg (I break in half) for breakthrough. My STS broke and waiting to have repaired and have tapered down a lot since July. Feel normal, very happy with nucynta considering where I have been. It seems that ur taking too much, IMO. Feel normal.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

Like I told the other poster on Nucynta. It's a good medication but beware of taking too many medications that inhibit the reuptake of the neurotransmitter, Serotonin. This creates an excess of Serotonin in the blood stream and can be dangerous. Nucynta + Prozac nearly landed me in the ER. I was really sick. I'm concerned that you are just getting too much of this medication. But, then again, I'm not an MD, and the Nucynta ER was not available when I was taking it. I just have a funny feeling about you using both together ALL of the time.

Stopping this medication is also like stopping Cymbalta (just google Cymbalta withdrawal). I had to take Prozac w/o the Nucynta to not get sick from the prolonged Cymbalta-like withdrawal.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Most all Drs. recommend a patient stay on a medication at least a month or so as this is usually the time when side effects will subside..

Obviously if there is a true allergic reaction that is life threatening like breathing issues or breaking out in hives...then they will have you stop immediately...

But for most all meds...there are going to be side effects...it's just a matter of working through them until they get better.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

The Serotonin Syndrome is not a side effect to be worked through. It's a dangerous excess of Serotonin in the system cause by taking too many medications with similar mechanisms of action. One or more of the drugs must be stopped. If you look at the warnings on the Nucynta manufacturer website it gives you the list of medications. This is a life-threatening problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaliGirl For This Useful Post:
dv8er (12-08-2012)
Closed Thread