It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
(female)

jamie5538 HB User
pain meds

I think I was misunderstood I have pre-op pian and my question was how long is 45 pills writen out for 1-2 every six hours for sever pain suppost to last if taking 3-4 through out the night? soory I didnt say it right

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: pain meds

Hi there....

Only your Dr. can say how long this prescription is supposed to last. When is your surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
(female)

jamie5538 HB User

I don't know I called Friday and they said they where working on it.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

This is something to talk to your doctor about, as to whether they are intending for you to take it around the clock if needed, and how long these need to last. If you were to take 2 every 6 hours, 8 a day would have 45 pills only last 5-6 days. If you only took 1 at a time and didn't take it during the night, then thats only 3 a day, 15 days. Big range. Another indication is when your next follow up appointment is.

If its in a week for example, then there is your answer. I see you wrote on another board these are Percocet, so refills wouldn't be applicable. On your other post, you also wrote you are to call when you need more, so you were asking when was acceptable to call. Note that that other thread wasn't on this board (but on General Health); you can still reply to that one if you'd like.

If you have needed to take the max allowed, I think its acceptable to call 4-5 days after you got this prescription, to give them a day to get back to you. Tell them on the phone you've been in severe pain and have had to take the max allowed amount, which is 8 a day, so you are almost through the 45 pills. They may want you to get in with the doctor again, or they may have you come pick up another prescription.

Typically if a prescription is written like this, the doctor may not expect you to need the 2 pills each time, and may not expect you to take it in the middle of the night. So, they may not expect you to run through them this quickly, but as long as you don't take more than prescribed and are taking them for legitimate pain (I saw on another post you said kidney stones, so I think so!), I wouldn't worry. Sorry you are struggling. Best wishes.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Just be careful about taking the max amount without knowing what the Drs. orders are because then if you call them and ask when you can pick up another prescription...they may say it was meant to last a certain amount of days and then you will be out completely.

As Tortoise mentioned, this type of med cannot be called in for refills...you have to physically go pick up a prescription. Do you have a follow up appt. with your Dr? As she said, that may be how long he wanted them to last until you see him again..

I would take the least possible amount, even splitting them in half, and using all other ways to help your pain until you know for sure. What type of surgery are you having?

Old 09-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
(female)

jamie5538 HB User

kidney stone removal through my back, I am going to call and make an appointment

Closed Thread

Tags
kidney stone surgery, pain medication