It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
(male)

MrTinAZ HB User
advice... new to PM and white coat syndrome

I had an SUV slide and roll and repeat a total of 3 times at 75 MPH the accident was 2.5 years ago. I have tried Physical Therapy acupuncture yoga nothing has huge result other than temporary relief.

My PM Dr ordered MRI and found 4 bulging discs 3 in lumbar one BAD and 1 in thoracic. Stenosis is present and painful there were tons of indicators of the stenosis and different medical terms all seemed to be different instances of the problem. and the canal is narrowed which seems to impinge nerves. Also have arthritis and degenerating discs. It was nice to know what is causing horrible sharp back pains and pain in legs feet and hands instead of being in the dark.

I was given Soma Tramadol and Elavil (for sleep).
I have an appt in 2 weeks.since the MRI was just completed would it be ok go call and ask to come in early to review MRI and try something else tramadol doesn't work? The pain is effecting my quality of life. I just started going to PM and do not want to be pushy but I do want to have less pain so that I can have some of my life back.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
(female)

jamie5538 HB User
Re: advice... new to PM and white coat syndrome

I wish you well, I too am affraid of Doctors and asking for help even if it's for an infection, I hope you can get the help you need!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Sorry to hear of your pain issues..

Unfortunately I think with an appt. set up in two weeks, they are not likely to reschedule you sooner although you can certainly try and get on their cancellation list.

But most Drs. will think that if you've been getting along for these years since the accident and now you are on medications....that two weeks is not going to make a difference. If there is something new and emergent then they will tell you to go to the ER.

It's interesting that they put you on Elavil for sleep as that is an old school antidepressant. I personally had terrible experiences with it...but they may be giving it to you to help with depression as well.

Most of the time Drs. will suggest all the non medicinal ways to help your sleep or use of melatonin supplements before going to a medication.

Soma is one of the strongest muscle relaxers out there and is moving towards being a controlled substance soon.

May I ask what background your PM has? It is strange for them to be ordering and then evaluating your MRI. That should be done by a Board Certified Neurosurgeon or BC Orthopedic surgeon. So, unless they have that background...you will have to see one of these Drs. anyway to determine if you are surgical or non surgical.

I don't see any type of actual nerve pain medication? This is pretty standard for those with spine issues. That would be either Lyrica, Neurontin, or Cymbalta. This is where the other meds will not work specifically for that type of pain.

If there is something surgical to help remove the pressure on the nerves...then after getting 2-3 opinions from the BC surgeons I mentioned...this may help to lessen your pain.

How did they not do a MRI at the time of your accident? Did you not go to the hospital?

Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
(male)

MrTinAZ HB User

Hospital did X-ray it was negative and they sent me home. I did PT and acupuncture but no one mentioned MRI and until living months in pain I decided to get one. The radiology place has the X-ray read and a report sent to PM.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

That is pretty crazy that they didn't do a MRI...a x-ray doesn't show anything detailed with the spine/discs..

Anyway...can't go back in time...

How about the other questions I had..Have you seen a Board Certified Neurosurgeon or BC Ortho? What is the background of your PM?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
(male)

MrTinAZ HB User

I have not seen an ortho or nuero surgeon. Board certified or that sleazy guy from the Simpsons! Kidding by the way...I take medical care very seriously since this has been bothering me a couple years I want to be diligent. I tried switching to a sales desk job thinking labor jobs had eaten up my back n sometimes hands and feet. After thinking more and looking back since I was only in contracting work 2 years it is more likely some nerve issues lead to tingling numbness in hands and feet at times pain in back all day very stiff in mornings along with feet. Hands act more with weight on my arms propped up or when holding/squeezing something with pressure, otherwise hands don't have the pain like in feet.

My MRI is up on back pain boards I will duplicate here eventually to show details of what I mentioned in the mri there are a bunch of words all indicating stenosis in each lumbar area...maybe they are different conditions but all seem to indicate similar problem with DDD, arthritis, central canal narrowing, 4 bulging disc one moderately bad. I am summarizing so probably leaving many MRI issues out due to lack knowledge really.

I am getting back into contracting and knowing my limitations will make me more aware than when I thought I just needed to push through and get better. Every injury I've has healed with rest.

I need to write journal in brief visit it was impossible to give PM enough detail. The MRI and notes I'm taking about how I feel with symptoms should help PM Dr do their job. I do not know PM Dr background I know there is a rheumatologist a counselor and several speciists to look at pain, depression, symptoms and reccomend alternative treatments.

Sorry if this has bad grammar or is unclear I am writing on my phone. I need to write notes I think showing I even tried career change along with PT,acupuncture, physiotherapy.

Since no one here for the most part is Dr please advise on keeping journal of symptoms and telling Dr I tried career change. I get nervous at docs so I want to document issues, concerns, symptoms and what I have tried so they know. I will share results in 12 days of next appointment. The Dr should be able to help more with the MRI done now w report from dr look over mri but second opinion on MRI sounds smart by ortho or nuero like you said. and see back pain is legit not just me complaining. I also have muscle spasm in back...just another off topic note I apologize for lack of organization this is posted via phone internet. I am not presenting issues well but advice appreciated on journal etc. With issues above and let me know if you want more info. MRI avail on my other threads or I can post more here.

Closed Thread