HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   Moved NYC to LA... my PM dilemma :-/ (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/921628-moved-nyc-la-my-pm-dilemma.html)

SanFerValley 10-04-2012 07:33 PM

Moved NYC to LA... my PM dilemma :-/

Hi Everyone,

I've read the boards here for a long time, and finally decided to take the plunge and start actually getting involved in the conversation. Maybe in doing so, I can network a bit and hopefully meet some of the members of this site who live in Los Angeles. I don't have much of a support system, and I'm hoping that this site may help.

I got hurt at work, about 2 years ago... and hurt my back. I had excruciating pain in my lower back and going down my right leg. This was such a frustrating experience, because this was a workers comp issue... so I couldn't just pick the doctors I want and deal with it. You have to go through the doctors that they pick for you. Talk about nerve wracking (what a pun).

I managed to get an MRI and found out it was a large herniated disc at L5/S1 with severe nerve root compression. Ouch. First they wanted to do epidural injections... I got NO relief. NONE. The first Ortho doc prescribed Vicodin ES, and it barely even took a little bit of the edge off. It wasn't enough. Then I was referred to a Pain Management doc to do the remaining injections, he changed me over to Percocet 10/325. The change in medication started to help a lot more, however the injections had no relief whatsoever on the pain.

To make a very long story short, eventually I was referred to a surgeon for an operation. We decided that a lumbar micro-discectomy would be the best approach. After the surgery they had a really hard time managing the pain, eventually they got me on a Dilaudid PCA which did pretty good for the post op pain.

A few months after the surgery, after PT... I was just not getting better. I went back to the PM doc and we switched my Percocet 10/325 over to Oxycodone IR 15mg... every 4 hours... 6/day. That worked pretty well for a while. Just recently we switched it up to Morphine IR 15mg... every 4 hours... 6/day.

I just moved to Los Angeles, and I was very upset about that because I finally found a PM doc that I trust... who listens... and isn't afraid to prescribe what I need. Just when I find that, I have to move for my job. UGHHHHHHHHHHH.

So, now I am in Los Angeles, and I need to find a PM doc. But not just that, one that will accept NY Workers Comp. Double UGH. Workers comp is being difficult, and every PM place I call says I need an authorization ahead of time. I only have 2 weeks of medication left. I think I will call my adjuster and tell him "hey, I just cannot stop taking this medication... I need you to authorize me a PM doc here in LA.. and I need it now!"

So frustrating. If anyone on here lives in LA... and wants to Private Message me any helpful insight.. I would appreciate it. I feel so lost, and don't know what to do. I had the best arrangement in NY... and out here I feel like it is going to be a disaster.

I also need a good surgeon out here.... in NY I knew who the best was: Hospital for Special Surgery. I don't know what the equivalent is out here, Cedar Sinani? God, I feel like I know NOTHING about the medical field/doctors out here....

I will feel a lot better once I find a good PM doc.... but the whole workers comp thing just throws such a monkey wrench in.........

Thanks, sorry for rambling.... looking forward to talking with you all and hope to meet a few new friends :)

SFValley :)

jamie5538 10-04-2012 08:58 PM

Re: Moved NYC to LA... my PM dilemma :-/

Sorry this is happening to you. I live in NH so I'm no help there. If it was me I might look into going to an ER maybe they maybe would have some ideas. I hope it all works out for you.