It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
(male)

SanFerValley HB User
Moved NYC to LA... my PM dilemma :-/

Hi Everyone,

I've read the boards here for a long time, and finally decided to take the plunge and start actually getting involved in the conversation. Maybe in doing so, I can network a bit and hopefully meet some of the members of this site who live in Los Angeles. I don't have much of a support system, and I'm hoping that this site may help.

I got hurt at work, about 2 years ago... and hurt my back. I had excruciating pain in my lower back and going down my right leg. This was such a frustrating experience, because this was a workers comp issue... so I couldn't just pick the doctors I want and deal with it. You have to go through the doctors that they pick for you. Talk about nerve wracking (what a pun).

I managed to get an MRI and found out it was a large herniated disc at L5/S1 with severe nerve root compression. Ouch. First they wanted to do epidural injections... I got NO relief. NONE. The first Ortho doc prescribed Vicodin ES, and it barely even took a little bit of the edge off. It wasn't enough. Then I was referred to a Pain Management doc to do the remaining injections, he changed me over to Percocet 10/325. The change in medication started to help a lot more, however the injections had no relief whatsoever on the pain.

To make a very long story short, eventually I was referred to a surgeon for an operation. We decided that a lumbar micro-discectomy would be the best approach. After the surgery they had a really hard time managing the pain, eventually they got me on a Dilaudid PCA which did pretty good for the post op pain.

A few months after the surgery, after PT... I was just not getting better. I went back to the PM doc and we switched my Percocet 10/325 over to Oxycodone IR 15mg... every 4 hours... 6/day. That worked pretty well for a while. Just recently we switched it up to Morphine IR 15mg... every 4 hours... 6/day.

I just moved to Los Angeles, and I was very upset about that because I finally found a PM doc that I trust... who listens... and isn't afraid to prescribe what I need. Just when I find that, I have to move for my job. UGHHHHHHHHHHH.

So, now I am in Los Angeles, and I need to find a PM doc. But not just that, one that will accept NY Workers Comp. Double UGH. Workers comp is being difficult, and every PM place I call says I need an authorization ahead of time. I only have 2 weeks of medication left. I think I will call my adjuster and tell him "hey, I just cannot stop taking this medication... I need you to authorize me a PM doc here in LA.. and I need it now!"

So frustrating. If anyone on here lives in LA... and wants to Private Message me any helpful insight.. I would appreciate it. I feel so lost, and don't know what to do. I had the best arrangement in NY... and out here I feel like it is going to be a disaster.

I also need a good surgeon out here.... in NY I knew who the best was: Hospital for Special Surgery. I don't know what the equivalent is out here, Cedar Sinani? God, I feel like I know NOTHING about the medical field/doctors out here....

I will feel a lot better once I find a good PM doc.... but the whole workers comp thing just throws such a monkey wrench in.........

Thanks, sorry for rambling.... looking forward to talking with you all and hope to meet a few new friends

SFValley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
(female)

jamie5538 HB User
Re: Moved NYC to LA... my PM dilemma :-/

Sorry this is happening to you. I live in NH so I'm no help there. If it was me I might look into going to an ER maybe they maybe would have some ideas. I hope it all works out for you.

Closed Thread