It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
(female)

DeformedBeauty HB User
Question Problems with new Watson brand Fentanyl patch

Hello all,
This is my first time posting. I have read a lot of posts looking for information on different brands of fentanyl patches. I started using the Mylan patches and found them very helpful once the doctor gave me the right dose. I went to another pharmacy this month because with my insurance they were free. This time I was given the Watson brand. They do not seem to be working at all! I was wondering if anyone had an explanation as to why I am having so much trouble with the new patches. It doesn't make sense to me because they both contain the same medicine. The only difference is that the Watson brand has extra ingredients in it. :I look forward to your replies.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: Problems with new Watson brand Fentanyl patch

Different generics can have a variance in the active ingredient by 20%. So, some folks will be over or under dosed when switching. Some are more sensitive to these small changes. Another possibility is that because the Watson are so large, it is not sticking correctly...if even one little part is unstuck, the air that gets under it will dry out the med at more than that little spot. Quite easy to be getting much less med.

If you don't already, I'd use a cover on these, such as Tegaderm. These are safe per the prescribing info. What do you mean the Watson has "extra ingredients"?

If you are truly miserable you may want to see if you can turn in these patches to your doctor and get a new prescription. However, then you'd have to pay out of pocket to replace them. A lot of patch patients have quite a strong brand preference. If you want to continue using this pharmacy, you can see if they will order a specific brand for you.

However, often they won't order something different as they only get reimbursed by insurance the average cost of all available generic brands, so to maximize profits, they order the cheapest. You may find its worth to pay a bit more to have a brand which works better for you. Some pay a high premium for the brand name (Duragesic) as they find it makes a big difference. If you stick with one brand you should get the most consistent dosing. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
DeformedBeauty (10-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
(female)

DeformedBeauty HB User
Smile Re: Problems with new Watson brand Fentanyl patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
What do you mean the Watson has "extra ingredients"?
Thank you for your reply, I will contact my Dr tomorrow to see if we can to something to get new patches and the cost. Your info about the air getting in was very eye opening to me.

What I meant about Watson having different ingredients is that it has silicone and alcohol in it and the Mylan brand did not have those ingredients in the patch.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Generic drugs in the US:
-have to be absolutely identical in the active ingredient
-be identical in strength, dosage form, and route of administration
-have the same use indicators
-be bioequivalent
-meet the same batch requirements for identity, strength, purity, and quality

The difference of the 20% either way ONLY pertains to the inactive ingredients. Every generic medication must have the exact same ACTIVE ingredient.

This is set by laws and the FDA to ensure safety. Just like a generic heart medication or cancer medication could never say they have 20mg of the active ingredient and have that not be true.

It's the "fillers" that can be different in the meds as they do not effect the integrity of the medication.

Many people have reactions to the inactive ingredients and seem to find one generic over another better. Or brand over generic.

For myself, being in PM for 11 years and having taken every single opiate from Vicodin to Fentanyl patches and all in between...I have never found a difference in my generic meds or felt they work any less.

So, you may just be having some sort of reaction to the fillers in the Watson brand. You can certainly speak with your Dr. or Pharmacist to see if you can find the ones that seem to suit you better.

Good luck

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 10-07-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User

I used both brands for 2years. There was not any difference other than Mylan sent me free covers and Watson sometimes came loose. But we are different on how it affects us.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User

Yes everyone is different.
I'm not saying generic drugs don't work or that they don't have a place.

What needs to be recognized is that the fillers are not regulated. Yet the fillers themselves can cause serious and even deadly effects to some patients. Because I have a compromised liver I now know to NEVER order generic brands now of any drug.

Yes I do have to pay more. But I am not paying with my life. All it took was one episode of violent reaction to teach me that lesson. I almost died from generic drug (I don't know the generic brand name). After the fact the pharmacist yelped loudly that they are the "exact same drug"...but my doctors knew differently.

Containing the same drug and being the same drug are two different statements. The fillers used to change the brand name product to a generic so it may be sold under a different name can be just about anything. Even silica (fine sand) what is sand? minerals & glass.

People that do not have perfect major organs such as liver, heart, kidneys, etc. need to be very careful when trying out a generic. All it takes is once to learn this lesson.

Be very careful with any new med, and write down any unusual symptoms. Don't expect your doctor to understand, either. Doctors are known to deny even obvious side effects from drugs. Look out for yourself.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeformedBeauty View Post
Thank you for your reply, I will contact my Dr tomorrow to see if we can to something to get new patches and the cost. Your info about the air getting in was very eye opening to me.

What I meant about Watson having different ingredients is that it has silicone and alcohol in it and the Mylan brand did not have those ingredients in the patch.
Ok. Duragesic & watson are built with a membrane that lets the fentanyl thru slowly over 2 to 3 days depending on how fast you absorb it. They both have a strip of glue only around the edges. Mylan, however has no membrane. The fentanyl IS inthe glue! Which is covering the ENTIRE surface area of the patch! They have the same drug,but, the alcohol& silicone consists in the GEL inside the membrane. They both are transdermal but the route of administration is somewhat different. I have enough trouble getting the mylan to stay on even with the 'askina' cover that mylan sends to me free. The 'gel' types are too big & impossible to keep on in sweaty Houston climate. I hope this helps you!

Closed Thread

Tags
fenanyl