It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
(female)

kme1971 HB User
Can epidural steroid injections make the flu worse?

Hi, I got a cervical ESI on 9/24/12, and a week later I came down HARD with the flu. It has been 8 days now since I got sick and I am not getting much better. Constant headache, severe body aches, including arms, legs, low back and neck but not inordinately stiff. It started in chest with dagger like pain when I would cough (dry) then moved up into searing sore throat and productive cough, then hit my sinuses and now have fever that is breaking through 800mg of ibuprofen every and 5mg vicodin every 6 hours. The fatigue is so bad that getting up to take a shower feels like a workout and I must nap afterward. Sleeping about 14 hours a day. I was wondering if the steroids can make the flu symptoms worse and make them last longer?

Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
Re: Can epidural steroid injections make the flu worse?

I do not want to scare you, but you need to go to the ER or call your Dr. NOW. There has been injectable steroid out there that has been recalled due to contamination with fungal menengitis. Please, at least call your Dr and talk to the oncall, if the PM doesnt have one call your primary or go to the ER.

tigg.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiggertoo2174 For This Useful Post:
kme1971 (10-10-2012), yrsofpainsucks (11-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
(male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User
Red face I'd go see my Primary Care Physician ASAP

Also check/notify the Dr that did the injection. Epidural steroid injections can do lots of weird unexpected things...some very serious.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daffydolphin For This Useful Post:
kme1971 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: I'd go see my Primary Care Physician ASAP

Hopefully your Dr. has already contacted you as it's been many days since the outbreak of Menengitis. Every reputable Dr. has worked with their staff to make phone calls to everyone who received injections..

Also know that you can look on your clinic/Drs. website as there are millions of people who received these shots around the US but most of them were not injected with this particular syringe of steroid that was made by the MA compounding pharmacy.

So...if you haven't already checked or spoken to your Dr..you can certainly go to the ER and they can perform a spinal tap if your clinic/Dr. was known to buy their medications from this particular place.

If you are positive for menengitis, it CAN be easily treated. It's a good sign that you are talking, walking, and able to post online...

So..to be safe..make sure you get the appropriate information and then follow through if needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ilovemycutedog For This Useful Post:
kme1971 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
(female)

kme1971 HB User

Thank you all for your replies. I checked and my clinic was not one who received the tainted medicine. Scary though, I hope no more people die because of it! I heard from my doctor and he sent me to the ER to be safe. They did a ton of blood work and my white count is really high and some other infection indicators were well above normal so they are sending out cultures and doing more tests. Not going to get a spinal tap unless they absolutely feel it is necessary. Not sure if it is directly related to the injection (i.e. introduced by the physical act of giving the injection) or if the steroids are playing hell with my system and making me more susceptible to the flu, or something else altogether. My poor kiddo is sick as a dog now, so it may just be that my immune system was a bit suppressed by the steroids and we are fighting a particularly viscous strain of the flu. I am feeling better respiratory symptom-wise, although still exhausted and have the ever present headache, fever and body aches. On the plus side, my radicular pain is nearly gone, so the injection is working! = )

Old 10-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User

I hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread