It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

Rdbomb94 HB UserRdbomb94 HB User
How long???

Hi-I take 40mg of Oxycontin 3x a day and Percocet 10/325 3x a day or as needed for break thru pain. I take it for nerve and muscle pain in my left hand. I've tried other meds and this is the combo that finally worked. However lately I feel like the Oxy is not as strong as it was. I was wondering if anyone had this problem or if I just have a high tolerance?
Thanks, Christina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User
Re: How long???

Unfortunately, Oxycontin is notorious for escalating tolerance in a fast manner. Not only have a read this on forums such as this, but many years ago I experienced this problem first hand. My doctors raised my dosage two or three times to the point where I was actually being prescribed too much. I used to fall asleep all the time and had many other health issues I'm not going to get into here. Needless to say, if you're going to stay on this medicine you'll probably going to have to fight your body's insistence in taking more. You'll need to find that happy medium somehow, just knowing your body's going to always want more. Good Luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Whoopee For This Useful Post:
Rdbomb94 (10-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

I know that the Oxycontin used to be a huge problem with failing to meet the same pain relief in the old formulation but I have not heard so much about that particular problem with the newer one.
How long have you been taking Oxycontin? Are you taking the percocet ( which is the same drug on oxycontin by the way but includes tylenol in it's formulation) regularly, as in three times a day most days? If you are, that may be part of the problem where you feel the meds aren't working so well. Breakthrough meds, even those dosed x times daily are not always meant to be taken every day, every dose. They are only to be used when the pain levels cant' be managed with other modalities, ice, heat, heat wraps, TENS, rest,( heated instant rice in a sock works wonders for a warm compress that you can bend around an area), and even topical pain relief creams can be helpful in reducing pain. If taken every day, or most every day, then the breakthrough meds just become part of your regular base med- especially true with oxycodone based meds since the opiate is the same drug in both cases- instead of trying to manage the pain with 120 mg of Oxycontin and only taking the breakthrough meds when all else has failed, if you are taking all three doses of percocet, you are getting your body accustomed to the additonal 30 mg of percocet (oxycodone) as part of your base medications. Then you have nothing that works for actual high increases in pain .
Just something to think about.......
Back

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
Rdbomb94 (10-18-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Back gave you some good advice. And she is dead on about the morphine and percoset. Before you try upping meds, try the other modalities.

I have gotten a script for a topical- Voltaren-that is a great alternative for pain. In Canada it is sold OTC, here in the states you need a script. It is great for muscle pain, nerve, arthritus.. Another OTC is Biofreeze. That you find on line and it is a cold therapy treatment. Roll on, cream, gel. It too helps with the pain and can be used to help the between med ouchies. Heat packs or ice-which ever works for you. Learning to live with chronic pain means that you learn to dance with all the partners on your dance card, not just the big players.

By using everything in your arsenal you will be able to learn to control the pain without having to up your script meds so rapidly. You might also check into accupuncture, yoga, meditation. These have all been shown to help. I used accupuncture for a year and it was a great help. Just a thought...as an ad for a local chuch here says, "not a sermon, just a thought."

Last edited by ibake&pray; 10-17-2012 at 10:24 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
Rdbomb94 (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
(female)

Paininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB User

How does the Voltaren work, if you don't mind me asking? is it like a numbing agent or is it more like icy/hot?

And i like that, "the between med ouchies" That was cute LOL.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Voltaren is different from the "icyhot" type of relief. It doesn't numb so much as it just disappears. I have used BioFreeze also-which is the cold type.. That works as well, but not as good as the Voltaren. When I use it all of a sudden I notice that everything is just....GONE.....can't ask for more than that. I love not having my legs nattering at me while it is chewing through the meat of my legs...sigh.

Closed Thread