It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

911Dispdream HB User
Severe Abdominal Pain after taking Morphine Sulfate ER

Hello, Iam a 32 y/o female. I suffer from fibromyalgia along with severe chronic lower back pain. It took me many years to find the right combination of medications to curb my pain so I can live a somewhat normal life. I take percocet for breakthrough pain and Morphine Sulfate ER for extended pain relief. I have tried many other types of pain medication including methadone and this combination is the only one that has worked for me. The problem I am having is that every time I take the Morphine I feel like I am having a gallbladder attack. The pain is HORRIBLE! It radiates to my lower back and righ shoulder ( all the same symptoms I had prior to having my gallbladder removed). I have been to my GI doc who basically told me I had to come off the morphine because it was causing severe spasms in the Sphincter of Oddi every time I took it which caused me to have "phantom" gallbladder attacks. So basically I need to find an extended release medication that will work the same as morphine but it can't be morphine...if that makes sense. I know if I were to come off the morphine I would go back to the horrible pain ridden life I was living prior to taking it. Has anyone else experienced this type of pain after taking morphine? I also had this happen when given Morphine IV in the hospital when I had appendicitis..the doctors had no idea what was going on, how frustrating to be given a medication for pain and it cause more pain. If anyone has any suggstions of a medication I could take to replace the morphine I would love to hear it. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Severe Abdominal Pain after taking Morphine Sulfate ER

I would consider a Fentanyl patch. It is strong, lasts 3 days for extended relief and doesn't typically cause the biliary colic pain that Morphine causes. I think your Dr is right in his theory of what is happening. The patch comes in different strengths and med is absorbed thru the skin.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
(male)

begonia666 HB User

sounds like to me that you are allergic to it.
I use Roxy 5 mg, Ultram 50 mg. 8 times and 4 times a day respectively

Old 10-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
(male)

begonia666 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
I would consider a Fentanyl patch. It is strong, lasts 3 days for extended relief and doesn't typically cause the biliary colic pain that Morphine causes. I think your Dr is right in his theory of what is happening. The patch comes in different strengths and med is absorbed thru the skin.
Fentanyl doesn't work for me
almost zero affect

Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
(female)

911Dispdream HB User

Unfortunately I had a very bad reaction to the Fentanyl patch, it's too bad because it did work. I appreciate all the feedback through, please keep them coming!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I'd see what your doctor suggests. What does your prescribing doctor say about these attacks? I'm surprised if they would let you stay on it if they knew. There are still some options besides morphine, fentanyl, and methadone. You say Percocet works, so Oxycontin is an option. If it didn't help before, maybe a different dose or schedule? Also, Oxymorphone/Opana and Dilaudid/Exalgo, although both can be quite expensive. However, I recommend against mentioning meds by name in most cases.

I'd just lay it out on the table and see what your doctor suggests. If you have had past experience with something not working, or have concerns, speak up. If they are stumped, then mention by name (but a doctor trained in pain management shouldn't have any problem coming up with a new med unless you had tried and had reactions to all of them).

After those, you'd be getting into the lesser prescribed meds which may not be appropriate, such as demerol, levorphanol, stadol, and suboxone / buprenorphine patch. Adding other modalities if appropriate may also lessen your dose needs. Not sure if you have exhausted all other options such as adjunct meds, injections, surgery, alternative therapies, etc. Sorry you have to deal with this.

I can relate some as I seem to have had a really tough time finding something to work...most of the opiates I'd have very high dose requirements, which doctors aren't keen on, but I eventually found a good combo. Everyone seems to have their preference (mine is methadone). Hope you have a doctor that can work with you. Best wishes.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

They still prescribe Demerol? Yuk.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User

I had this exact thing happen, right down to the phantom gall bladder attacks because I had had my gall bladder removed like a year previously. Everyone is right, you really need to speak to your doctor. But if you feel this med is the most appropriate for you, ask your doctor to write down the ingredients for what they call a GI cocktail. I cant remember if everything is over the counter, but it works like a dream. He shouldn't have any problem with that as you are not asking for a change in meds, just something to help the GI discomfort. Hope you get it worked out soon. Take care.
Liz

Old 10-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Have you thoroughly investigated the cause of your chronic low back pain? Maybe the cause can be addressed instead of trying to live with it on pain meds. If it is localized, a radiofrequency ablation of the nerves involved can give significant relief for a year or so. Or perhaps surgery might be a consideration. Facet arthritis can be helped with steroid injections. Maybe the problem can be fixed!

Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
(female)

911Dispdream HB User

Thank you everyone for the feedback. i Have talked to both my GI doc and my rheumatologist (she prescribes my pain medication), both keep telling me to talk to the other about it, it's very frustrating. I know demerol works for my pain because I have been given it in the hospital but I am not sure if there is an extended release form of that. My lower back issues stem from a herniated disc which occured while working as an Emergency Services worker. I can no longer do my job because of the fibro and lower back pain, it's quite depressing because it's all I have ever wanted to do. I guess I will just keep talking to the doctors, I really don't want to find a new rheumatologist because I love mine, she is the only doctor to ever truly believe my pain. And I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one experiencing these phantom gallbladder attacks, I thought I was losing my mind!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you have a herniated disc, have you gotten epidural steroid injections or considered surgery? That should be fixable to some extent at least. Even 50% or more improvement is worth it to avoid living on heavy duty narcotics and not being able to function well. Have you seen a neurosurgeon?

Old 10-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #12
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User

"And I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one experiencing these phantom gallbladder attacks, I thought I was losing my mind!"

You definitely are NOT losing your mind. I remember that feeling all too well. Especially because it took the doctors 3 months to realize it was my gall bladder and not a reoccurring issue with ulcers. Maybe you can look up GI cocktail on one of the medical sites. Take care and I really do hope you find a solution to this problem.
Liz

Old 10-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
(female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User

I take Opana ER 20 Mg twice a day plus Opana IR up to 4x a day for BT pain. I like only taking one "type" of medication. Morphine worked on pain but constipated me. The Fent Patch delivered too much when I got overheated ( personal summers etc )

Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Dispdream View Post
Thank you everyone for the feedback. i Have talked to both my GI doc and my rheumatologist (she prescribes my pain medication), both keep telling me to talk to the other about it, it's very frustrating. I know demerol works for my pain because I have been given it in the hospital but I am not sure if there is an extended release.

HELLO DIPSDREAM!
I see you have gotten so many posts to help, thats great! I think i have your answer but since its3sm i will list them. Please excuse typos. Thanks. I had exactly your situation, gb out, sphincter of oddi pain, terrible back, but my med that caused gi trouble was hydrocodone or stadol spray. 1. Nitroglycerin sublingual stops all smooth, involuntary muscle spasms! Works so well you may not have to change meds. Check with dr it can lower blood pressure 2. I did have a scope like egd that goes to common bile duct takes pressure reading, my duct was surgically snipped to relieve high pressure 3. Demerol doesnt come in Er form & 100mg tab works like 4 hours & makes you high but doesnt stop pain, i had it during this time 4. Your allergy to fentanyl patch. Was it only skin? Dif you use duragesic brand? Mylan brand less allergy skin reactions 5. Gi cocktail - 2kinds, maalox, donnatal liquid, viscous xylocaine. Other is similar but has a narcotic liquid that i cant remember( too sleepy) 6. Many people take suboxone for IBS, Crohns, Ulcerative colitis. Check with dr. Generic bupenorphine cheaper than suboxone 7. Oxycontin is different from morphine but would probably give the most comparable relief to avinza,kadien, MSER 8. Until you tell rheumatologist that you have seen gi & (you need to to discuss ntg, carafate,bile duct snip, zegerid 2/24hrs all these help S.O.D. pain) she wont change your meds. 9. All my sympathy, empathy, know how much hard work & years it takes to get your perfect combo, prayers, best wishes, hopes, and my ear anytime you need it to you, 911dispdream! Thank you, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 11-04-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
(male)

weelyirked HB User
Exclamation Re: Severe Abdominal Pain after taking Morphine Sulfate ER

sorry, slow system = dbl posting, see the following please

Last edited by weelyirked; 11-09-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
abdominal pain, chronic pain, fibromyalgia treatment, morphine