It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
(female)

hillcountry63 HB User
How to cancel pain contract ?

I have been looking for a new PM doctor since my current one of 5 years closed his private practice and moved to a hospital pain clinic. This proved to be way too expensive for me. Anyway, I scheduled an appointment with a new doctor, waited patiently for 4 months to get in and it was quickly obvious he is not the doctor for me.

The appointment was so weird - I felt like I was at a seminar selling vitamin cure-alls and time share condos. LOL. First off, I waited 1.5 hours past my scheduled appointment time. His assessment and "pitch" for several expensieve procedures was based on my 5 year old MRI report. The physical exam was all of 70 seconds, he really didn't ask me questions nor allow me to fully discuss my pain, symptoms, prior treatments etc. He didn't even view the recent flexion/extension X-rays they requested I bring with me. He was "put off" because I am knowledgable about my conditions. I could go on and on... This really was the strangest medical cosultation I have ever had. I need to move on.

My eternal optimism and need for a new PM made me forget that I was merely there for a consultation. Before I realized it, they had me signing a pain contract ( prior to even seeing the doctor ). Really dumb, I know. So now I need to cancell the contract and start looking for another PM doc..

Help! I need some guidance with what to say in the letter to his office? Obviously I have some irritation over this fiasco, but don't want that creeping into my letter. I am usually good at business correspondence, but I am stumped how to even begin. I appreciate any suggestions on how to go about getting myself out of this mess.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone has to offer.

Kay
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spondylolithesis C3-4, Extruded disc C6-7, Osteophyte complex C5-6 with foraminal narrowing, Facet Hypertrophy, DDD etc....

Last edited by hillcountry63; 10-31-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: How to cancel pain contract ?

Hi Kay,

To cancel your contract simply thank them for their time and care provided but that you are advising them that you will be seeking treatment elsewhere and that you wish to terminate your care with them effective XX/XX/2012 and keep a copy for your own files.
You don't have to offer an explanation but be sure to thank them for their care because it leaves a better taste in their mouths than to simply terminate care with a long winded explanation or series of reasons for why you are leaving.
Good luck,
Back

Old 11-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhurtz View Post
Hi Kay,

To cancel your contract simply thank them for their time and care provided but that you are advising them that you will be seeking treatment elsewhere and that you wish to terminate your care with them effective XX/XX/2012 and keep a copy for your own files.
You don't have to offer an explanation but be sure to thank them for their care because it leaves a better taste in their mouths than to simply terminate care with a long winded explanation or series of reasons for why you are leaving.
Good luck,
Back
Well said! That's basically what I was going to say. Nothing elaborate needed and if you're no longer a patient with them, there's no contract to enforce. End of discussion.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Yes I agree short and sweet saying exactly what you want them to do. Just to be safe I'd send it certified mail. If you had actually received care from them I would have said to do it in person, but I read that on another thread and agree its a very good idea (as you have the receipt that they received it if for some reason it was ever an issue). Sorry you have been so long without a PM doc! Best wishes.

This is a good reminder to us that there is no need to sign a pain contract until you are sure you will receive care (ie. narcotics) from a doctor. They should have no problem seeing you without this. If for some reason you do get a rx on that first visit, you can then sign the contract (assuming you don't have an active one).

Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
(female)

hillcountry63 HB User

Backhurtz, Whoopee -

THANK YOU for your replies.

I really appreciate your insight and guidance. I don't know why this task had me at a loss for words. I'm glad to know I don't have to give them a reason for canceling the contract and not continuing care. I obviously did not hit it off with this doc, but I have no desire to point out his short comings to him or his staff.

It really was careless on my part to sign the contract when I was only there for an initial consultation. Lesson learned. I have only had 2 PM doctors over the last 10 years and they both came before PM care got so complicated with contracts, urine tests etc. Moving forward will be a new experience for me.

Thanks again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tortoisegrl:

Thanks for the extra tip on sending it certified mail - great idea.

I have continued seeing my current (soon former) PM whie I am looking for a new doc. It is expensive to do so, but I can keep it to a minimum until I find "Dr. Right". I unfortunately can't afford to have any more injections at his new clinic, but can manage for awhile. And since I'm only (still) taking Lortab, I have refills for several months - so I have a little time to work with. I appreciate your concern.

I really appreciate the help and support. I continue to learn so much from this board.

Blessings,

Kay

Last edited by hillcountry63; 11-01-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Closed Thread