It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #91
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 548
pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Pain management doctors

I'M HOME!!!!! I got earlier then I expected. The test went really well. Had a lot of relief in my spine. the neuropathy in my legs will probably always will be there.

I have to set up an appt for a followup then schedule the permanent implant. But I was walking a lot around the floor that I was on. More then I have walked in years.

The nurses were great. Only issue I had there was a foul up when I got there. The doctor got OK for procedure but not an OK for staying in for a few days. It was a mess getting it cleared up. It took from 10:30 am till about 2:45 to get the ok to be admitted. The doctors office kept saying it was the hospitals responsibility and hospital saying it was the doctors office sayin the doctors had to do it. Ultimately it was the doctors office that had to get the authorization for me to be admitted.

So it looks like good news on getting some of the issues cleared up. On to the permanent implant.

More later.

Allan

 
Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #92
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,546
gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Pain management doctors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeach3 View Post
I'M HOME!!!!! I got earlier then I expected. The test went really well. Had a lot of relief in my spine. the neuropathy in my legs will probably always will be there.
I have to set up an appt for a followup then schedule the permanent implant. But I was walking a lot around the floor that I was on. More then I have walked in years.
The nurses were great. Only issue I had there was a foul up when I got there. The doctor got OK for procedure but not an OK for staying in for a few days. It was a mess getting it cleared up. It took from 10:30 am till about 2:45 to get the ok to be admitted. The doctors office kept saying it was the hospitals responsibility and hospital saying it was the doctors office sayin the doctors had to do it. Ultimately it was the doctors office that had to get the authorization for me to be admitted.
So it looks like good news on getting some of the issues cleared up. On to the permanent implant.
More later.
Allan

Oh WOW, pebble! Sooo happy for you! Best news ive heard in a long time! Im so glad that you got the
good relief! Thats awesome! So what did they do, put the catheter in percutaneously? Did you have to b
e awake for the insertion? Oh, i will wait for your update with the details, those details are important!
God is great! Again, sooo happy that you really could do more! Thanks for updating so quickly. Yay, friend!

Last edited by gmak; 12-13-2012 at 11:20 AM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #93
Member
(female)
 
lginfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: somewhere, fl. USA
Posts: 62
lginfl HB Userlginfl HB User
Re: Pain management doctors

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! So, so glad to hear of your success! When I went to my PM doc, I asked him about the trial controversy. And just as I asked I remembered that I did have a trial. But not like yours. They just injected the med's into my back & waited to see if I got relief. Memory isn't what it used to be, for sure!
The mix up sounds like typical "failure to communicate". That's where it pays to be your own advocate.
Keep us posted and once again, congrat's!!!!
God Bless

 
Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #94
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 548
pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Pain management doctors

thanks all for the wishs. I forgot to mention the medication that they used. It was a cocktail between dilaudid and bupivicaine which when I looked it up is an anesthesia. It was at a very low dosage. I started off with 0.1 mcl then went to 0.2 mcl.

I see the doctor on Monday as a followup and will have more information. More then.

Later.

 
Old 12-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #95
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 548
pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Pain management doctors

I'm not sure what type of sedative they used but I think it was all a local type of anesthesia. It certainly didn't take long to insert the catheter. I really don't remember much from the procedure, only a short period of time though.

I think I was lucky in that it worked. There was another man on the floor that this was his 3rd attempt at the trial. I was told ahead of time that it may take several tries to get the catheter at the right location for it to work.

I was walking around the halls continuously. It looked like I was on a marathon. Constantly walking. Actually I think I was somewhat sore from all the walking since I wasnt used to so much activity in one day. And if I couldnt sleep I was usually roaming around the halls as well.

Even the socail worker I think thats who she was commented that I'm doing more walking then she does during the day.

They took the catheter out Wednesday night and I think I am feeling some of the old pain returning to the neck area and my legs are really bothering. I think it is the neuropathy. While I was told the meds probably wont help the neuropathy I felt some some relief for whatever reason. But not they seem to be on the severe side.

I see the doctor on Monday and hopefully I can schedule the date for the permament implant to be done.

More later.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to pebblebeach3 For This Useful Post:
gmak (12-14-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #96
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mount Holly, NJ USA
Posts: 118
deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
Re: Pain management doctors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeach3 View Post
I'm not sure what type of sedative they used but I think it was all a local type of anesthesia. It certainly didn't take long to insert the catheter. I really don't remember much from the procedure, only a short period of time though.

I think I was lucky in that it worked. There was another man on the floor that this was his 3rd attempt at the trial. I was told ahead of time that it may take several tries to get the catheter at the right location for it to work.

I was walking around the halls continuously. It looked like I was on a marathon. Constantly walking. Actually I think I was somewhat sore from all the walking since I wasnt used to so much activity in one day. And if I couldnt sleep I was usually roaming around the halls as well.

Even the socail worker I think thats who she was commented that I'm doing more walking then she does during the day.

They took the catheter out Wednesday night and I think I am feeling some of the old pain returning to the neck area and my legs are really bothering. I think it is the neuropathy. While I was told the meds probably wont help the neuropathy I felt some some relief for whatever reason. But not they seem to be on the severe side.

I see the doctor on Monday and hopefully I can schedule the date for the permament implant to be done.

More later.
That is wonderful news. I had problems with the tube last Thursday and my procedure to replace my battery was canceled till next year. I was hoping that your procedure went better! I live nearby if I can be of any help.

 
The following user gives a hug of support to deanh:
gmak (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #97
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 548
pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Pain management doctors

Deanh:

Thank you, it was great news. The few days that I had the trial it went better then I expected. I know when I have the permanent one my days may vary but I am optimistic. I see doctor on Monday to discuss the permanent implant.

Yes we live close to each other. I'll post what happens at my doctors appt on Monday or Tuesday.

More later.

 
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #98
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 548
pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Pain management doctors

Hi all. I had my follow up visit with my PM doctor after the "trial" portion of the intrathecal pain pump.

The next step is the "permanent" implant. There are 2 size devices one is a 20 ml and the other is 40. We are going with the larger unit.

Surgery date is set for January 11, 2013. I will probably stay over night. He the doctor felt more comfortable that I be admitted because of all my health issues.

Also while I was waiting his other patient had gone thru the permanent implant so I was able to speak to her briefly about her experiences. She was at the end of her rope before the implant is done and is happy that she went thru the procedure.

So I am all set for 1/11/13. It is not that far off and it will be here before I know it. So now I am counting the days.

Since the trial was day I have been having really bad days. Yes I have had a lot to do which may be adding to my pain level. So for now I am in a great deal of pain.

Also the catheter I think he said was placed at T10. Since I have other spine issues we decided I should get an MRI of the thoracic and cervical spine. I am waiting for the pre-cert to be done so I can get the MRI's done. Hopefully it will be done before the surgery date. So I have a lot to do in the interim. Will keep you posted.

More later.

 
Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #99
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,546
gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Pain management doctors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblebeach3 View Post
Hi all. I had my follow up visit with my PM doctor after the "trial" portion of the intrathecal pain pump.
The next step is the "permanent" implant. There are 2 size devices one is a 20 ml and the other is 40. We are going with the larger unit.
Surgery date is set for January 11, 2013. I will probably stay over night. He the doctor felt more comfortable that I be admitted because of all my health issues.
Also while I was waiting his other patient had gone thru the permanent implant so I was able to speak to her briefly about her experiences. She was at the end of her rope before the implant is done and is happy that she went thru the procedure.
So I am all set for 1/11/13. It is not that far off and it will be here before I know it. So now I am counting the days.
Since the trial was day I have been having really bad days. Yes I have had a lot to do which may be adding to my pain level. So for now I am in a great deal of pain.
Also the catheter I think he said was placed at T10. Since I have other spine issues we decided I should get an MRI of the thoracic and cervical spine. I am waiting for the pre-cert to be done so I can get the MRI's done. Hopefully it will be done before the surgery date. So I have a lot to do in the interim. Will keep you posted.
More later.
Pebble, Im sorry that you are having bad pain, hopefully its just from all the activity & now you can get settled down for awhile and it will lessen some. Since you have your surgery date and the trial is over. I know you remember I have aa, well with arach, its just massive scar tissue essentially. If something irritates the dura its called an insult or an assault & it makes the pain worsen. Of course you dont have arach, but you have had 12 spine surgeries so surely you have some scar tissue & maybe the catheter placement was an insult and it made your pain flare. Of course this is just conjecture on my part and only my opinion but maybe it could be causing the increased pain. Anyway, pebble Im so happy that you got your permanent placement date so soon really. You know I already have it written down and will be
praying for you. Have you figured out why you were req'd to be an in patient for the trial but will be
basically one day surgery (instead of same day surg) for the implant? Because if you have would you
mind sharing it with me? I just want you to know Im sitting @ #7-8 and I totally understand how you feel. Take care pebble, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 12-18-2012 at 04:18 AM. Reason: typo

 
Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #100
Member
(female)
 
lginfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: somewhere, fl. USA
Posts: 62
lginfl HB Userlginfl HB User
Re: Pain management doctors

Hi PB! Just a thought, the trial med's you got gave you relief & when they wore off the pain that came back was the same. It's like your pain was "tricked" for a while. I used to get shots in my back (novocaine? can't remember) that would ease the pain for a few days or maybe a week and when the pain came back it seemed amplified. I used to refer to it as the "Pain Game". Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're getting the bigger pump; if you can keep the amount of med's low, you should be able to go three months without a refill. Which is more cost effective. Towards the end of the 3 months, a lot of people (including myself) would feel a lull where the med's don't feel as effective. That can be adjusted easily enough by changing your refill date, like a week to ten days before.
Glad to hear they are keeping you overnight for the implant. What, if anything, are they going to give you for the surgical pain? That is a tough one. Don't want to worry you, but it's kind of tough because you'll be opened front and back. I remember getting these wedge-like pillows to prop under my back, I got them at JcPenneys. They're made of memory foam and get two, so you can put them under you so you can lie down. I saw them recently and fondly refer to them as "Speed
bumps"!! Oh, one more thing that really helps me, when you're feeling stressed and anxious…take deep cleansing breaths. Breathe in deep and exhale all the way, repeat 5 times and you'll feel your muscles relax! Try it! Sounds trite but it really helps!!!
Best wishes & I'll be praying for you!!!

 
Old 12-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #101
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 548
pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Pain management doctors

Gmak:

I think if I am right that being admitted for the trial is normal routine. Since medication is required they had to monitor me. Plus since it was the trial, I had the catheter inserted at T10 but the medication was not implanted. Since 2 medications were being used they were in separate containers and they were hanging from a pole so whenever I walked I had to drag this along with me since the medication was hanging from it.

There was another patient on the floor who was also there for the trial.This was his 3rd attempt at trying to get the catheter at the right location so it could work for him.

Normally the permanent implant would be done as an outpatient and I would be released the same day. But the doctor wanted me admitted overnight just in case there are complications. If you remember I do have other health issues that could be affected such as my diabetes and being in kidney failure so he wanted to play it safe.

As to scar tissue I am sure I have tons of scar tissue. I have been thru 11 surgeries but that is not all spine related. The spine surgeries I went thru were on the neck and lumbar plus the implanting and removal of the spinal cord stimulator and the trial pain pump which is 9 surgeries if I counted right. The other 2 surgeries I went thru was for a blood clot in my leg and surgery for pancreatic cancer.

I hopefully will have the thoracic and cervical MRI done in a few weeks prior to the implant. Just waiting for the pre-cert from the insurance company. Ugh the thought of being in the MRI machine again. I have so many MRI/CT films it looks like I have a small library of films.

Anyway more later.

 
Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #102
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,546
gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Pain management doctors

Hi pebble, Thanks for explaining the in/out patient thing to me. Of course, I remember your other health issues & Im happy they are going to keep you overnight @ least. Ugggh! The MRI tube is a source of dread to me also, claustrophobe! But, the last time they put me in feet first & left my head almost out! I could do that again! With the cervical & thoracic though I dont think thats possible. However, I just wanted to say I understand. Maybe this will be the last time for a long time! As far as post op pain relief, your drs are pain mgmt specialists & they will work it out so that all that you have to think about is having that feeling of pain relief like you had in the trial! So much that you basically walked 20 miles.lol I hope that the bad pain days that you were having are gone again. Take care friend, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 12-18-2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: typo

 
Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #103
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 548
pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User
Re: Pain management doctors

gmak:

I cant even tell you how many MRI's I've been thru over the years. The cervical probably would take about 1/2 hour from what I remember, but the thoracic would be longer and I would have to be in the machine completely for a longer period of time.

Years ago they did both on me at 1 time and I was in the machine for 1 1/2 hours from what I remember straight thru thought I was going to lose my mind being in it so long.

Not sure if I could sort of break it up. Do one MRI take a few minute break before I go back in again.

Will see what facility says when I set the appointment up. UGH!!!

I remember when I was in it for 1 1/2 hours a guy was waiting to go in. As I was waiting for a ride to leave the same guy comes out about 5 minutes later. He says to me I don't know how you did it. He refused to go thru it because of being claustrophobic. Referred to the machine like being in a coffin and left.

I don't know how I did it either. Honestly the thought of the machine is getting me a little hyper at the moment. But I know it needs to be done.

 
Old 12-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #104
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mount Holly, NJ USA
Posts: 118
deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
Hi pebble


Glad you have a date in January. Still waiting for my revision retry date on January too.

I bet you are counting the hours till the 11th! Glad you had great results! Please keep us updated.

 
Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #105
Senior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mount Holly, NJ USA
Posts: 118
deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
Oh. Btw I used the open MRI last time. I was on such high amount of narcotics I could not do the tube. It is the same price as regular MRI also.

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



tortoisegirl (158), gmak (155), Shoreline (149), BB07 (91), backhurtz (84), katlin09 (69), Ilovemycutedog (53), galalena (50), jonnstar (35), Isotope (34)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (905), Titchou (848), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (759), ladybud (754), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:44 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!