It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
(female)

Paininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB User
Re: pharmacy interfering with my pain management plan

"always take my blood pressure. Mine is always through the roof. for starters, I think their machine is off because I've taken it right after an appointment and it's much much lower. I mean not even in the same ballpark. So I end up telling them I'm on BP medicine and for some reason, I always seem to run high here. They seem fine with that explanation and I think the fact that I'm taking medicine for it gives them some relief, so they don't push it. I can't be the only one that has this kind of problem"

Nope, this happens to me EVERY month, last month the cuff even popped right off it went so high. But when my BP is taken with a larger cuff, its not nearly as bad and is almost normal.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Guerilla,
I'm glad that you got the medication situation straightened out but I also wanted to remind you if no one else has, that post op there is usually a period of depression that sets in, especially after a big operation like the ones you had. It is really rather common and it can make dealing with the doctors, refills, pain meds all that much more overwhelming.
Since you are following the tapering plan and using less of the pain meds, don't worry about the other stuff. It is merely an inconvienence that we all have to deal with unfortunately.
Good luck on your recovery and hopefully this surgery will have addressed whatever was causing the pain you had prior to it.....
Back

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
(male)

Guerrilla HB UserGuerrilla HB User
Wink Re: pharmacy interfering with my pain management plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhurtz View Post
Guerilla,
I'm glad that you got the medication situation straightened out but I also wanted to remind you if no one else has, that post op there is usually a period of depression that sets in, especially after a big operation like the ones you had. It is really rather common and it can make dealing with the doctors, refills, pain meds all that much more overwhelming.
Since you are following the tapering plan and using less of the pain meds, don't worry about the other stuff. It is merely an inconvienence that we all have to deal with unfortunately.
Good luck on your recovery and hopefully this surgery will have addressed whatever was causing the pain you had prior to it.....
Back
depression in deed my dear... Feeling better but I still have my spouts which is wierd because I have never been depressed about anything, I'm a very happy guy :-)

Thanks though it should pass once I am better "All around" haha

Old 11-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Another thing that that hasn't been mentioned is that Valium is a depressant. When my teenage nieve had a Unirod placed from Tq to l1, ame as a fusion frthe entire length os spine aside from vervicle she was given valium for the spasms too. Within an hour of taking each dose she would simply be sobbing with feelings of depression. I noticed the same tearful feeling when taking valium post fusion the last go round. Somepeople dont respond well and terafulnes, depression whatever you want to call it can be caused by the valium. Morphine and valium is a bit of an overkill out patient and in this case the pharamcist was simply following federal guidelines. Yes he should have been more specific and explained you need a written script to refill that med, but your response to blame the pharamcist and over think the issue could be easily attributed to the emotional state valium can cause. Benzos are nasty to come off of and usually only used short term post op, your doc wil decide when it's been long enough but I would consider asking for something else once your past the 3rd week. The second week is generally the worst when it comes to spasm post fusion, Ive been their and done it 3 times, the last was L1-S1. Even the doc suggested holding off on tha valium he gave me untill the second week. and he only gace me a two wek supply. Ater that he switch to felexerill I believe.

The long acting meds really arent intended for short term use and this could also be why the pharmacist would raise an eyebrow. It specifically states in the full prescribing instructions it shouldnt be used for post op or acute situations but docs can use meds as they see fit. But long acting meds were designed and intended for long term use. Pharamcist are the last checkpoint when it comes to abuse, misuse, mis prescribing and they have every right and duty to question something that seems unusual or innapropriate. I dont believe that was the case in this situation, You made a request of the pharamcist that can't be made. I get the pharamcist could have handled it better but we have all been in positions where we could have handled things better. They are just as human as the doc that did the surgery and didn't explain this med is tightly controlled and has to be hand written each time unlike hydrocodone that refills can be placed on the script and can be called in. Class 11 meds have an entirely different set of rules. You might want to test the valium issue and pay attn when the onset of depresion occurs, If its an hour or so after each dose their may be a better med for you. Goodluck with your recovery, It's not a fast one from spinal fusion so dont be discouraged. You really dont notice great improvement day to day but looking back over the weeks you see the improvement in your stength and distance your walking and see improvement that way. If you push yourself to hard with the daily walking you can also make your pain worse so let your body be your guide. The doc doesn't want to dope you up so much that you can do damge and push yourself so far you are unaware of a great increases in pain. let the pain be your guide. Also if you smoke your foolish to expect a good fusion outcome, dont smoke and dont take anti inflamatories as both can inhibit bone growth.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 11-08-2012 at 05:33 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
Guerrilla (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #20
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline View Post
Another thing that that hasn't been mentioned is that Valium is a depressant. When my teenage nieve had a Unirod placed from Tq to l1, ame as a fusion frthe entire length os spine aside from vervicle she was given valium for the spasms too. Within an hour of taking each dose she would simply be sobbing with feelings of depression. I noticed the same tearful feeling when taking valium post fusion the last go round. Somepeople dont respond well and terafulnes, depression whatever you want to call it can be caused by the valium. Morphine and valium is a bit of an overkill out patient and in this case the pharamcist was simply following federal guidelines. Yes he should have been more specific and explained you need a written script to refill that med, but your response to blame the pharamcist and over think the issue could be easily attributed to the emotional state valium can cause. Benzos are nasty to come off of and usually only used short term post op, your doc wil decide when it's been long enough but I would consider asking for something else once your past the 3rd week. The second week is generally the worst when it comes to spasm post fusion, Ive been their and done it 3 times, the last was L1-S1. Even the doc suggested holding off on tha valium he gave me untill the second week. and he only gace me a two wek supply. Ater that he switch to felexerill I believe.

The long acting meds really arent intended for short term use and this could also be why the pharmacist would raise an eyebrow. It specifically states in the full prescribing instructions it shouldnt be used for post op or acute situations but docs can use meds as they see fit. But long acting meds were designed and intended for long term use. Pharamcist are the last checkpoint when it comes to abuse, misuse, mis prescribing and they have every right and duty to question something that seems unusual or innapropriate. I dont believe that was the case in this situation, You made a request of the pharamcist that can't be made. I get the pharamcist could have handled it better but we have all been in positions where we could have handled things better. They are just as human as the doc that did the surgery and didn't explain this med is tightly controlled and has to be hand written each time unlike hydrocodone that refills can be placed on the script and can be called in. Class 11 meds have an entirely different set of rules. You might want to test the valium issue and pay attn when the onset of depresion occurs, If its an hour or so after each dose their may be a better med for you. Goodluck with your recovery, It's not a fast one from spinal fusion so dont be discouraged. You really dont notice great improvement day to day but looking back over the weeks you see the improvement in your stength and distance your walking and see improvement that way. If you push yourself to hard with the daily walking you can also make your pain worse so let your body be your guide. The doc doesn't want to dope you up so much that you can do damge and push yourself so far you are unaware of a great increases in pain. let the pain be your guide. Also if you smoke your foolish to expect a good fusion outcome, dont smoke and dont take anti inflamatories as both can inhibit bone growth.

Good luck, Dave
Yeah I hear ya man, and my doc actually did tell me about valuim causing mood changes and depression and to tell him if it needs to be adjusted. I was just really upset about having to feel as though I was "begging" for the drugs I expected once I got the surgery.. When I say expected I mean I knew I was going to need pain meds as well as other meds once i got the procedure.. We're already looking at the L5-L4, surgeon said we're gonna see how this one holds out and if it is good there will be little to no degeneration.. We'll see, I'm hoping not because I already am going to tell my doc at the next appointment I hope you don't expect me to have to "beg" for medication every time we set up a new pain management plan..

Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

IGNORE! See next post!! Hi, guerrilla, im glad that's straightened out, hope you dont have any more problems now that you meds are all able to be called in for you. I have been wishing you well & following your recovery from the start. I read some talk of " addicts" & "straight shooters" & felt like i should say there are loads of
people that are " straight shooters" that have to make that " sweaty call" every month, year after year, for appts where we have to ask for our pain medicine " face to face". We take our medicine perfectly asordered by our dr, go thru urine screens, have to sign & follow a pain mgmt contract, have procedures, praying we will get an appt on time before our medicine runs out, all to get something
that will make the pain better. Just like you we only go to the medicine bottle when it hurts,yet we have to endure " the look @ the pharmacy & drs office sometimes, & feel just like you did when you had to " ask" with the same nervousness & fear of judgement. Month by month year after year. I hope that you will remember, now that you have had this experience, & will have compassion and understanding& will see that " chronic pain" sufferers & " acute" pain sufferers are the same. They just want the pain to be better.
I think that you are blessed that you only had to do this once or twice & hope that you never have to
do that again. I have been following your recovery, and have been wanting your surgery, recovery &
the future of your life to all go perfectly and that this ordeal will end in an
improved place for you with no pain! Thank you guerilla. I pray that you
will continue to be blessed. Please read NEXT post instead!

Last edited by gmak; 11-08-2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: repeat post glitch

Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #22
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi guerrilla, im glad that's straightened out, hope you dont have any more problems now that your meds are all able to be called in for you. I have been wishing you well & following your recovery from the start. I read some talk of "addicts" & "straight shooters" & felt like i should say there are loads of people that are" straight shooters" that have to make that "sweaty" call every month, year after year. For appts where we have to ask for our pain medicine " face to face". We take our medicine perfectly as ordered by our dr, go thru urine screens, have to sign & follow a pain mgmt contract, have procedures, praying that they will work, holding our breath that we will get an appt on time before our medicine runs out, all to get something that will make the pain better. Just like you we only go to the medicine bottle when it hurts, yet we have to endure "the look" @ the pharmacy & drs office sometimes, & feel just like you did when you had to " ask" with the same nervousness & fear of judgment. Month by month year after year. I hope that you will remember, now that you have had this experience, & will have compassion and understanding & all will see that " chronic pain" sufferers & " acute" pain sufferers are the same. They just want the pain to be better. I think that you are blessed that you only had to do this once or twice & hope that you never have to make that call or feel
that horrid fear ever again. I have been following your recovery, and have been wanting your surgery, recovery & the future of your life to all go perfectly and this whole" ordeal will end in an improved place for you with no pain! Thank you guerilla. I pray that you will continue to be blessed. P.s. sorry this is so long! It switched the screen from "quick reply" to "quote reply" & i hope it doesnt post twice! Thanks again, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 11-08-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typos

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
Guerrilla (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #23
(male)

Red face Re: pharmacy interfering with my pain management plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmak View Post
Hi guerrilla, im glad that's straightened out, hope you dont have any more problems now that your meds are all able to be called in for you. I have been wishing you well & following your recovery from the start. I read some talk of "addicts" & "straight shooters" & felt like i should say there are loads of people that are" straight shooters" that have to make that "sweaty" call every month, year after year. For appts where we have to ask for our pain medicine " face to face". We take our medicine perfectly as ordered by our dr, go thru urine screens, have to sign & follow a pain mgmt contract, have procedures, praying that they will work, holding our breath that we will get an appt on time before our medicine runs out, all to get something that will make the pain better. Just like you we only go to the medicine bottle when it hurts, yet we have to endure "the look" @ the pharmacy & drs office sometimes, & feel just like you did when you had to " ask" with the same nervousness & fear of judgment. Month by month year after year. I hope that you will remember, now that you have had this experience, & will have compassion and understanding & all will see that " chronic pain" sufferers & " acute" pain sufferers are the same. They just want the pain to be better. I think that you are blessed that you only had to do this once or twice & hope that you never have to make that call or feel
that horrid fear ever again. I have been following your recovery, and have been wanting your surgery, recovery & the future of your life to all go perfectly and this whole" ordeal will end in an improved place for you with no pain! Thank you guerilla. I pray that you will continue to be blessed. P.s. sorry this is so long! It switched the screen from "quick reply" to "quote reply" & i hope it doesnt post twice! Thanks again, gmak
Thanks, you are a kind soul I can tell.. unfortunately my doc told me that I will prolly be a chronic pain sufferer but its not always bad as long as I can have a doctor that I can trust and a good support group which I have found here God Bless You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Guerrilla For This Useful Post:
gmak (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #24
Facilitator
(female)

Hi, guerilla,
Oh i hope that doesnt happen! I get upset when someone gets chronic back problems.What made the dr think "chronic pain" concerning you, if not rude to ask? I think that there are lots of titles put on people & our symptoms & diagnoses are as unique as we are. Thats why I posted the above. Yes, there are abusers that make it really hard for responsible pain sufferers. Imho. I thought that you experienced a chance to view briefly how it can be for "us" that other people never see. Its judgment of any kind that all of us should try to avoid. We seldom, if ever really know how it truly is for others. I so hope & pray that you will only be a great support system to pain sufferers and NEVER one of them! God bless you. Thanks for the blessing. Keep posting. Oh, i want all this to turn out well for you.

Last edited by gmak; 11-08-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: misspelling

Old 11-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #25
(male)

thanks gmak.... you're very kind.. He told me because when we looked at the fusion of the L5-S1 he pointed out the L5-L4 and said this one here looks about like your 2005 MRI looked (my first MRI following my car accident, that we was able to compare the compression of the disc to over the years) and I have a feeling we might have to fuse this one down the road.

Then he gave me an explanation of how when you fuse disc sometimes leads to the disc above or below compressing and needing compression..

He also explained that due to my nerve damage I will have some pain that will never go away.

That was his basis of the chronic labeling.

I agree with what you were saying though, dr's sometimes are fast to label and "diagnose or give a prognoses"

Closed Thread