It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
(male)

Guerrilla HB UserGuerrilla HB User
Post pharmacy interfering with my pain management plan

On October 24 I had an Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion upon being released from the hospital I was given morphine 15mg and Valium 10mg. The orders were Valium every 6 hrs as needed for muscle spasms and 2 morphine's in the morning 2 in the afternoon and 2 at night.

Last week I met with with my neurosurgeon and we discussed it and decided that I would continue the Valium as I was but to cut the afternoon dose of the morphine out. Then next week I would cut from 2 at a time to 1 at a time. Well currently I am at the 2 in the morn 2 in the evening and 2 days away from being at the 1 in the morn 1 in the evening. Problem is I have 8 left and if you do the math you'll see that it wont add up, and the same math shows that I have taken the morphine directly as ordered by the doctor. So I tried to request a refill and my pharmacy told me they will not refill the Rx for me. But when I call the doctors office they tell me to handle all Rx refill concerns with the pharmacy...

Honestly I want to be off the morphine all together but I understand my doctor has to ween me off which is what we are doing. Any suggestions on how to handle this issue? Can I just call the doctors office and request a different pain pill? I mean it was a pain in the.... just to get the first Rx of morphine filled.

My biggest fear is I have the pain I am still dealing with then I have nothing for it because I am in a battle with my pharmacy or doctors office plus I have heard about morphine withdraws which is exactly why I am glad we are weening from it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User
Re: pharmacy interfering with my pain management plan

Morphine is a Schedule II narcotic. That means it cannot be "refilled" or called in to a pharmacy. You need to bring the pharmacy a new paper script every time you need more of this medication. It's a law, so unfortunately it's not anything the pharmacy is doing wrong. Just call your doctors office and explain (they should already know this) that the pharmacy says by law this particular medication requires a paper prescription written up, and when can you come pick it up? Hopefully that approach will work better for you!
Good luck!

Last edited by Whynowthis; 11-06-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
(male)

Unhappy Re: pharmacy interfering with my pain management plan

God I hate this!!! I just called my docs office and prolly sounded all groggy because I took my morphine earlier and then I was getting confused as she spoke to me.. In the end I said I'll need a refill on the 9th can he maybe just put me on something else? I mean I am 13 days post op do I still need the morphine? ugh..

Luckily I had a nice nurse that was telling me I am doing fine but I always feel like I am a bother to them! Then I get like I am now which is all depressed because I feel like I am an addict because I am "seeking" the drugs that they told me to take.. I just wish they would calendar it out and say he will need this many for this long then we will give him these yada... Because I am sure they are not going to just take me from morphine to nothing I mean I still have pain but I don't want morphine any more because it makes me feel too just blah when I have to ask for more!! ugh... great, now I'll feel like crap emotionally today...... (no I do not have a history of depression, its just been since I have had this stupid *** surgery!!!)

I get a surgery, I NEED the pain medicine, not want it and now I have to feel like an addict because I have to seek more, when my plan is part of me doing so...... UGH!! I just want to sleep the day away..

Might I mention I have a degree in Psych and worked as a Mental Health Professional and yes I know I am clearly showing signs of depression but I have no idea why...... Oh wait yeah I do, its because I had to get this stupid surgery that now makes it where I have to have pain medicine to get though a day but yet I am looked down upon for needing pain medicine...... I just feel so crappy!! I REALLY REALLY hope they take me off morphine!!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Guerrilla:
yrsofpainsucks (11-08-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

I think being just 13 days post op it is totally realistic for you to still be on pain medication. I understand the stress though because they never give a script large enough for the whole recovery so you have to call to get more and it IS stressful when you feel like you are begging for pain meds, when it is your RIGHT to be free of pain! I've been there, done that. I understand, and it's not a stress you need right now. You need to focus your energy on your recovery. Hopefully they will get you on a different medication.
Go back to sleep and get away from the stress right now!! Relax and don't worry about it until they call you back. Nothing you can do at this point anyway so no point in stressing, right?

The Following User Says Thank You to Whynowthis For This Useful Post:
Guerrilla (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Oh, and these meds (morphine) can cause some anxiety, so that combined with your situation could be causing you to stress more than usual.... Maybe a medication change will help...make sure you are taking your Valium, it will help your anxiety too...

Last edited by Whynowthis; 11-06-2012 at 07:56 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Whynowthis:
Guerrilla (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynowthis View Post
Oh, and these meds (morphine) can cause some anxiety, so that combined with your situation could be causing you to stress more than usual.... Maybe a medication change will help...make sure you are taking your Valium, it will help your anxiety too...
You're right... I'm goign to take one, drink a nice cup of warm tea, turn on a movie and just calm down... I just hate recovery!! I am an outdoor guy I think cabin fever is starting to take effect too :-)

Thanks, I hope they call and say we are puttign you on something else and to make me feel better they should say "because you can't handle this $hit" haha... Cheers :-)

Whynowthis (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
(female)

berlinathena HB User

Hi, I hope this finds you with relief and doing much better in your recovery. At this time, you have probably already resolved your issue. I would like to know the outcome.

I know from my experience, certain meds (morphine) cannot be called in by Dr.s office, you have to actually pick up the script and deliver it to the pharmacy. I had this issue with Percocet. When I called the Dr.'s office, they told me to call the pharmacy for the refill. The pharmacy advised me that I have to go through my Dr.s office. When I called back to the Dr., they confirmed what the pharmacy said. The person who answered the phone for the Dr.'s office the first time, did not know what the med was, just gave the usual answer for refills.

How did it work out for you?

Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlinathena View Post
Hi, I hope this finds you with relief and doing much better in your recovery. At this time, you have probably already resolved your issue. I would like to know the outcome.

I know from my experience, certain meds (morphine) cannot be called in by Dr.s office, you have to actually pick up the script and deliver it to the pharmacy. I had this issue with Percocet. When I called the Dr.'s office, they told me to call the pharmacy for the refill. The pharmacy advised me that I have to go through my Dr.s office. When I called back to the Dr., they confirmed what the pharmacy said. The person who answered the phone for the Dr.'s office the first time, did not know what the med was, just gave the usual answer for refills.

How did it work out for you?
Yeah turns out to be true, at first the doc office goes let the pharmacy handle all refill request then I go well I cant with this one, so they let me talk to a nurse.. In the end I just said and I quote lol "I'm tired of all this crap can he (my surgeon) just put me on something else, I don't want to be on morphine anymore and i am tired of feeling like I am begging for medicine when it is medicine that we (my doc and me) established will be part of my pain management plan" she then assured me I am doing fine and I am weening myself well and not to feel as though I am doing anything wrong when it comes taking the pills according to the math of the pills that I have left... I just get so frustrated to be talked to like an addict... I want to reach through the phone and choke a pharmacist for talking to me like I am a pill freak...

Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
(female)

berlinathena HB User

Unfortunately, those of us that really need the pain meds, feel as though you do. You certainly don't want anyone to think you are some addict...and we may have feelings like this, because it is out of the norm for us.

It's not the norm in our life (for the most part) to be calling a doctor to request more pain meds. I have been told to keep the meds in my system, I'll do better. I take less, because I try to stretch them out..hate to ask for more. This is not doing me any favors.

Let me know how your progress goes...

Old 11-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
(male)

man those people that get Rx'd all kinds of crap from all kinds of docs must have some way to handle their emotions better than us straight shooters do LoL.. My wife has seen me get all sweaty when calling for med refills and she is like what is your problem and I'm like Idk I just hate doing it haha..

I feel much better now though, I took a Valium, drank a cup of hot tea and fell asleep to The Godfather 2. Last part I remember is when they were fleeing Cuba, poor Fredo, so misled....

But my heart will start pumping again once I have to get the call from the doc letting me know what they will do.. My wife is a nurse and so we have a lot of nurse friends and I spoke with one that said Idk why your doc wouldn't be happy to take you off morphine.. So I am hoping she is right...

Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
(female)

berlinathena HB User

Yes, hopefully it will all work out.

You are right about those that abuse the meds/dr.s how they do it is beyond me, or they have a list of crooked Dr's lol

My sister in law is a nurse and she too tells me to stay on the meds for the pain and for me not to worry about addiction. I don't think I'm anywhere having to worry about addiction, BUT it is difficult to just ask for that refill.

Funny how it all works...those that don't need it, or take it for the wrong reason, seem to have a limitless supply and those of us suffering....well....

Old 11-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlinathena View Post
Yes, hopefully it will all work out.

You are right about those that abuse the meds/dr.s how they do it is beyond me, or they have a list of crooked Dr's lol

My sister in law is a nurse and she too tells me to stay on the meds for the pain and for me not to worry about addiction. I don't think I'm anywhere having to worry about addiction, BUT it is difficult to just ask for that refill.

Funny how it all works...those that don't need it, or take it for the wrong reason, seem to have a limitless supply and those of us suffering....well....
Amen Sister!!

Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
(male)

Just an update.. I was able to speak with a nurse again who spoke with the doc that is now going to put me on lortab10 so I got my wish to get off of morphine.... Now we will see what kind of battle I have when I try to get my valuim filled this Friday :-).. Until then, let the abusers get all the fine treatment while we needers get treated like dogs.........

Paininohio (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
man those people that get Rx'd all kinds of crap from all kinds of docs must have some way to handle their emotions better than us straight shooters do LoL.. My wife has seen me get all sweaty when calling for med refills and she is like what is your problem and I'm like Idk I just hate doing it haha..

I feel much better now though, I took a Valium, drank a cup of hot tea and fell asleep to The Godfather 2. Last part I remember is when they were fleeing Cuba, poor Fredo, so misled....

But my heart will start pumping again once I have to get the call from the doc letting me know what they will do.. My wife is a nurse and so we have a lot of nurse friends and I spoke with one that said Idk why your doc wouldn't be happy to take you off morphine.. So I am hoping she is right...
I can totally relate to getting worked up! I see my doctor monthly to get my refills and as a part of my exam they always take my blood pressure. Mine is always through the roof. for starters, I think their machine is off because I've taken it right after an appointment and it's much much lower. I mean not even in the same ballpark. So I end up telling them I'm on BP medicine and for some reason, I always seem to run high here. They seem fine with that explanation and I think the fact that I'm taking medicine for it gives them some relief, so they don't push it. I can't be the only one that has this kind of problem.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
(female)

berlinathena HB User

'glad to hear you got over one hurdle....march on and hopefully the rest will go smoothly!

Let me know how the Lortab works for you.

Closed Thread