It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
(female)

jamie5538 HB User
Pain Medication not working very long

Hi I have written here a couple of times, I am waiting for sergery to remove a kidney stone through my back, Any way I am on 5/325 percocets x2 every 6 hours for pain, here is my question was I right to call the Doctors office and tell them that they are only working for about 3 hours? I just got off the phone with My primary care doctors nurse and she said" I guess I can give him a note and get back to you" anyone have any coments about ths a what they will say, my fear is that she will call me back and say sorry you have what you have and deal with the pain medication not lasting the full 6 hours. Thank you for listening

Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
Re: Pain Medication not working very long

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie5538 View Post
Hi I have written here a couple of times, I am waiting for sergery to remove a kidney stone through my back, Any way I am on 5/325 percocets x2 every 6 hours for pain, here is my question was I right to call the Doctors office and tell them that they are only working for about 3 hours? I just got off the phone with My primary care doctors nurse and she said" I guess I can give him a note and get back to you" anyone have any coments about ths a what they will say, my fear is that she will call me back and say sorry you have what you have and deal with the pain medication not lasting the full 6 hours. Thank you for listening
Yes IMHO. But do not take more than they say, no matter what.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
(female)

haroldsmum HB User

Hi -You can ask your doctor to prescribe you additional pain relief in slow release formula over 12 hours, rather than the usual 4 hourly span. I take strong painkillers 3 times a day but I ALSO take two additional tablets which are the same painkiller, but slow release so there is always something in your system. My doctor sorted this for me and it's made a huge difference. I am prescribed 180 'normal' pills a month, plus 60 long-lasting ones in addition-1 to take at 7am and one for 7pm. The medication is released over 12 hours and covers you until your next usual tablet is due. Good luck-pain management is out there and available so I'd be asking your doctor to help you manage your pain effectively. Good luck, hope you feel more comfortable soon.
Best wishes, Haroldsmum.

Last edited by haroldsmum; 11-20-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: additional detail

Old 12-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
(male)

DaveO48 HB UserDaveO48 HB User

Quote:
Hi,
If you are in pain, of course. He can't help if he doesn't know there is a problem. Most doctors will adjust pain medications to match the pain level.
You are waiting for lithotripsy? Ok. If the pain is more than bearable,and I've been there, your doctor should understand that not managing the pain can cause severe consequences. Maybe you need to visit the ER. I did and after diagnosis was given Dilaudid, which resolved both the pain and my high blood pressure. Both of my eyes were red from broken blood vessels.
Hope the wait is over!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

Quote:
HI- I will try and get right to the point-if(and i think you said you are)getting pain meds from a primary care doctor-dont expect much more than what he/she gave you-PC doctors are not (well)trained to understand or even believe you need better pain management-even for your acute situation, in thier mind that 5mg percocet should last for days lol. not laughing at you or your situation-but most having some serious pain will not know how to or even want give you anything stronger or allow you to take more-the nurse saying("i guess i can ask" is typical when trying to get the PC to help with serious pain, can you contact the surgeon who will be doing the procedure an explain your situation and they might get you something a little stronger or even call your PC and explain for you that the k-stones are quite painful and ask that you be prescribed(what he suggests)until the surgery. good luck

Old 12-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User

This is the very reason that primary doctors refer patients to pain management. Most primary care physicians will prescribe pain medicine for something that can get fixed. Most primary physicians will prescribe some but if it is something that require long term use of pain meds or strong pain meds they will refer you to pain management in a hurry. They have scared the doctors to death with all the threats of their licenses being token from them. Even for us with legit health issues. We just want to live a semi normal life. Now don't get me wrong, If I were you I would talk to my doctor about being in extreme pain. You have to speak up for your self and nobody knows your body better than you. I just want you to be aware that it is a strong possibility that the doctor refuses to do it. Then I would ask if he knows any pain management physicians that will help. If the doctor do decides to change things for you, I will be very shocked if the primary prescribe a CR (control release) pain med. It is hard to get primaries to understand the amount of pain that we are going through. But instead of jinxing yourself I would be completely honest with them. You really never know. If he don't prescribe anything further or change medicines to see if you may get better relief, he may just give you a referral to have a consult with a pain management physician. Let us know what your doctor do about this problem.
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010
Total Right Hip Replacement

Old 12-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
(female)

ctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB User

I would recommend seeing a urologist. If you are just waiting to have the stone removed, you do not need a PM dr. That is for long term pain managment. You also would not need a long acting medication because those are also for people who will need pain relief long term and not for an acute situation.
A urologist should understand your pain level alot better than a PCP and give you better pain medication for relief. 5/325 percocets are not going to last for a full 6 hours. You are right that they would give you 4-5 hours at most relief. You need something stronger.
If you can not see a urologist I would also say go to the ER. They will give you stronger medication and you can always call and tell your dr what they gave you gives you the relief you need and ask him to prescribe that.
I wish you luck bc I have stones all the time and pain relief is defintely required for these. I would also ask about flomax which is also given for stones and helps as well.
Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to ctrue For This Useful Post:
Pandie (12-30-2012)
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
(female)

kimtulip HB User
Smile Re: Pain Medication not working very long

sorry,no message,i cant seem 2 b able too remove it-

Last edited by kimtulip; 02-18-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
(female)

tvba HB User

Jaime5538
I know this is a bit of an old post. Was curious if you had your surgery yet?
I am in a similar situation, kidney stone that needs to be removed through the back. Anyway my pain medicine is not cutting it either and am suffering.
Please let me know if you're still out there!

Last edited by tvba; 02-26-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Wrong posters name

Closed Thread

Tags
kidney stone urology nephrectomy, pain, pain medications