It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
Re: Fentanyl Patches - Pros and Cons

hi cspine-

well I deal with some pretty terrible chronic pain from traumatic accident' to make a long story short it is mainly my lower spine-and hips n legs, mostly left n I get the episodes of unrelenting BT pain that affects buttocks n runs down lt leg-so bad i cannot talk or hardly take a breath without crying-have run the gambit of the LA meds and now take 100mcg Duragesic-it is the matrix type, small like a roundish square piece of tape,the whole patch is sticky(me is in the sticky glue)and really helps manage the bad pain. i have used all the generic patch and they did not work as well as Duragesic-i am on a medicare advantage plan and my dr got them to autho the brand name Duragesic. so if you have really tough pain and have tried all/most of the LA oral-the Duragesic patches are worth a try as they help me enormously-change every 48 hrs. and if you cant get the brand name duragesic i would use the Sandoz, they are made by Duragesic and contain the same amount of fentynal as the Brand name in each strength. the other generic brands for some reason contain alot less of the drug for some reason and it makes a differrence-for example the mylan brand 100mcg patch contains 10.something(i forget exactly, but it IS 10.() where the 100mcg Duragesic and Sandoz contain 16.8mg of fentynal in

each 100mcg patch- a huge difference and makes difference;and the other generic patches are the same-if you are rx'd
a(duragesic) 75mcg patch you are getting same or MORE amt of fentynal as in the generic 100mcg patch. I think this may affect the type of relief people get(or don't get)

It will affect the amount of pain relief-and i battle some tough pain;the patch is best for me, and i use some 10/325 percocet for BT, up to 3 a day; along with other things that also help me. so, good luck to you and God's speed in finding which helps you the most.

Last edited by BB07; 11-25-2012 at 09:18 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BB07 For This Useful Post:
cspineguy (11-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
(male)

cspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB User

So update on this post. I had an appointment yesterday and told the NP that I am still dealing with keeping on top of the pain and not sleeping. The other thing that came to me a few weeks ago was I had Gastric by-pass surgery in 2007 and it just came to me, that maybe that is why oxicotin doesn't work on me. After the surgery you don't absorb things like normal people, which is why you need to take vitamin supplements. So I talked with the NP about this and she agreed we need to try something different and suggested the Fentanyl Patch. So we starting this weekend with the patches and 15 mg oxicondon two times a day for break thru pain. So thanks to all for their advise and experiences with the patch. It helped that I had some information going in before this appointment so I had some background info. Crossing my fingers that this will help

Old 12-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #18
Inactive
(female)

dv8er HB User

Quick summary of my experience(s) with the Fentanyl Patch:

1st experience: duration of 3 weeks
12mcg fentanyl patch to be replaced every 72 hours.
pros
- it was the first time in years i had ever experienced such a comprehensive sense of pain relief, i thought it was too good to be true. it was.
- prior to using the fentanyl patch, i tried out the butrans patch (20mcg), which turned out to be a joke. the size of the butrans patch resembled the size of a plain index card, it was huge. i am very petite, so trying to find areas of my body to put new butrans patches got old quickly. i had to use 4 large tegaderm strips to cover the whole thing. anyway, the fentanyl patches (or the 12mcg patch at least) is no bigger than the upper portion of your pinky finger. it's clear, the directions don't freak you out if you put a patch on a recently used site, and it's less bothersome.
- fentanyl patches are cheaper than butrans patches (and did i mention smaller?)
cons
- the first day i put the patch on, it felt like i had been shot with an elephant tranquilizer! i literally fell asleep while studying sitting in an upright position. i have never experienced such drowsiness on this medication than i have on many others. perhaps it's my body mass, but within the first 5-6 hours, i can feel it. i know it doesn't reach plasma level for 12-18 hours, but i know my body well and it's not a psychosomatic/placebo effect type deal. due to this, i make sure to put in on a few hours before bed.
- in addition to drowsiness, i experience a significant decrease in motivation to work. i'm in school and if i'm not eating, sleeping, or showering, chances are..i have my head in my book or laptop. it makes me feel dumb and less sharp, which was the reason why i stopped using them the first time.

2nd experience (2 weeks after first experience)
duration: a little over 1 week
6mcg fentanyl patch to be replaced every other day

pros -
- size of patch; clear surface (relatively unnoticeable, even with tegaderm)
- my skin is less irritated from the fentanyl patch opposed to the butrans patch, which turned my skin bright red and left marks for days at a time.
cons -
- even at 6mcg, i still get drowsy!
- barely any pain relief
- patch DOES NOT stay on - you must use a tegaderm (sp?) cover/protectant before engaging in *any* activity! otherwise, it won't stay on.

hope this helps! please keep us updated!

Old 12-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hey dv8r, I have used mylan 100mcg for years, b/c the old duragesic were huge & wouldnt stay on. I havent seen the matrix type duragesic yet.Thanks, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 12-15-2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: sentence made no sense

Old 12-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #20
Inactive
(female)

dv8er HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmak View Post
Hey dv8r, I have used mylan 100mcg for years, b/c the old duragesic were huge & wouldnt stay on. So just say look up please, but where can i find info re:10.? in mylan vs 16.8 in duragesic. No need to say anything other than pkg insert or online. Ill find it. Thanks, gmak
I apologize, but I am really confused by your msg. Also, this is the first I've heard of Mylan. I have no idea what 10.? vs 16.8 means. Can you dumb it down for me?

Thank you!!

EDIT
So, I just grabbed my box of patches and I see the word mylan on it. still no clue what it means.

EDIT #2
now i understand! that would have useful information my doc should have provided me prior to prescribing the patch. thanks, gmak!

Last edited by dv8er; 12-14-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: received new info.

Closed Thread