It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

gorich HB User
Pain Management

I have Osteo Arthritis in my neck, spine, feet and hands. I also have Migraines 3 or 4 days a week every week and a Kyphosis mid back. I have been on Lortab, Robaxin, and Celebrex which takes the edge off and I function pretty well and life is worth living. I was recently diagnosed with an ulcer so my Dr. took me off the Celebrex. At the same time I was also told I can no longer get Lortab because people who missue this drug were dying from liver disease. The pharmacy is now substituting Norco for the Lortab.
My life has gone from functioning pretty well to barely being able to move my hands. I am still working at age 67 and thought I'd be able to work till 70 but the way things are going i'll be lucky to finnish out this year. It's not fair that we are all punished for something that a few do.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
(female)

Paininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB User
Re: Pain Management

Hello gorich, actually Lortab and Norco are the EXACT same medicine, just a different brand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
(female)

gorich HB User

Yes, Lortab and Norco are the same medication.
The difference is the amount of acetaminophen in the pill.
Lortab is 5/500, 5 codiene and 500 acetaminophen while Norco is 5/325, 5 codiene and 325 acetaminophen which reduces the efficacy of the drug.
It has nothing to do with being from a different manufacturer.

Last edited by gorich; 11-29-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
(female)

ctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB User

Are you not allowed to take any additional tylenol? Can you take 1 tylenol with the norco? I get that the point is to reduce the chance of liver damage but if thats the only difference and the lortabs help.. I dont know what dosage you are on so that may not be possible but I thought Id ask.
My PCP started me out on lortabs and then changed me to norcos. When she sent me to PM, that dr put me back on lortabs, saying they were more effective for my pain. I only take them 3 times a day so she didnt think that the tylenol was a problem. I guess all drs think dif on this subject.
I hope you are able to get some pain relief soon!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
(female)

Robinwilliams HB User

I have migraine and often have to deal with various related health problems and severe headaches. Its sometime hard to tolerate and taking medicine all the time looks just not good. I was referred to corrective chiropractic & wellness clinic by a friends. I must say that chiropractic treatment does wonders to my pain. I could have never felt so much better.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
(female)

gorich HB User

Yes, I went out and got some Tylenol today. If I take 1/2 a 350 tab of Tylenol with the Norco it is the same strength as the Lortab. The FDA ruled that they are limiting the acetaminophen in combo products like Lortab to 350 mg on 1/14/2014. Kaiser is implementing this rule early. Check out www.fda.gov/drugs

Last edited by gorich; 11-29-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Just FYI but the Lortab, Norco, and Vicodin actually have Hydrocodone as the opiate and then the Acetaminophen in them...

I think that you wrote in another post that it was codeine....Truly not trying to "correct" you in a negative way...I just think it's important for everyone who reads these posts to know what is in the medication.

I used to take Percocets for years...This has Oxycodone as the opiate and Acetaminophen....but I was getting tummy issues as well as I didn't want the Acetaminophen in each pill....so I switched to OxyIR which is just plain Oxycodone.

Now I can add a Tylenol or an Advil if I need it...

Good luck with everything

Old 11-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
(female)

gorich HB User

FYI yes Lortab, Norco and Vicodin are Hydrocodone, aka Codiene.
I feel like I'm repeating myself.
My stomach issue is because of Celebrex which is an anti inflamatory and can cause bleeding in the stomach and intestines. I was put on Lortab for my pain issues because the hydrocodone and acetaminaphen don't cause stomach problems, as do Advil, Motrin and Asprin.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
Wink Re: Pain Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorich View Post
My stomach issue is because of Celebrex which is an anti inflamatory and can cause bleeding in the stomach and intestines. I was put on Lortab for my pain issues because the hydrocodone and acetaminaphen don't cause stomach problems, as do Advil, Motrin and Asprin.
hey gorich-easy big fella; those folks are only trying to make helpful suggestions.(feel like i'm repeating myself-lol.) you sound a lil crabby perhaps because your pain is undertreated.
But i am glad that half tab you add to your norco(hydrocodone-codeine whatever you like to call it is helping?. But just maybe, if your doc increased that "codeine part" a little, you may feel better.

Just saying. hope you feel better soon, honestly we all do.

Last edited by BB07; 12-13-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
Wink Re: Pain Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorich View Post
hey gorich-easy big fella; those folks are only trying to make helpful suggestions.(feel like i'm repeating myself-lol.) you sound a lil crabby perhaps because your pain is undertreated. But i am glad that half tab you add to your norco, sorry, lortab,(hydrocodone-codeine. whatever you like to call it. But just maybe, if your doc increased that "codeine part" a little, you may feel better.

Just saying. hope you feel better soon, honestly we all do.

Reply Reply