It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: $1100 bill for UA??

Yes they ask the insurance for more money because they know they will only pay a portion anyways. If you pay cash, you should ask them to accept a payment only equal to what insurance would reimburse, not the full billed amount. Medical bills are almost always negotiable....it never hurts to ask. Apparently having PM doctors add on-site UA analysis equipment is an emerging market (companies approaching doctors and telling them how much they can make by keeping the profits in hours).

keli13-If you still are owing the doctor (not a credit card or something), I'd negotiate if they will accept a percent on the dollar to settle it in full (such as 25%). Then find a way to come up with that percent (possibly borrowing if needed). The less likely they think they are to get the full balance, the more they will discount. If you were only making small or no payments, they'd be more likely to do this too. Sorry you had such ridiculous UA bills...I would have totally switched doctors or negotiated at the time. Best wishes.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
(female)

Stupid feet HB UserStupid feet HB UserStupid feet HB UserStupid feet HB UserStupid feet HB User

Well, apparently, since my last UA in July, my PM switched labs and I just got a EOB
From the new lab which says I owe over $2200 from the one I took in December.
I asked the PA about it during my last visit last week and he said "don't pay it"
I'm not comfortable with that because I have perfect credit and I'm not willing to have my credit affected by this. I'm recovering from a major foot/ankle surgery & will get on the phone to the labs when I feel up to it. The whole thing is just rediculous, we have to live every day in pain and then we have to pay thousands of dollars to prove we're following rules. I'm sick of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Ameritox is the only company that I know of that charges that amount. They use gc -ms ( gas chromotography, mass spectrometry) to test for any and all opiates, benzodiazepenes, street drugs, marijuana, tranquilizers, ectasy, etc....and they also provide "normal" values for what is the median population of people taking these drugs. It is a very specific type of testing that shows not only a positive or a negative for drugs/medications but can tell how much you are taking of your medications according to your last reported dose....they test not only for medications prescribed to you but for those not as well.
This is why the test costs so much. Call them and tell them that you can not pay the balance of the test. They are supposed to forgive the rest of the bill that your insurance does not cover. You may need to contact them more than once however.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I agree I did this with them as well and they even finally stopped billing me he said he would just write it off. Ask your head nurse for the point of contact at the drug testing company. Mine was Zane Hanson. Cathy

Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #20
(female)

keli13 HB User

If I wouldn't be paying my balance for my obnoxiously expensive UA's my PA or Doctor wouldn't see me anymore and it would affect my credit. The clinic I go to bills UA's thru themselves even though they use another company to test with. I've been a chronic pain patient for 20 years now and after searching for a pain clinic and doctors I like in my area, (I even drove 200 miles a month to see one in another state every month years ago) I've finally found Dr.s I really like and that's the only reason I stay. I hate that it's harder and more costly in many cases for those of us who are legit pain patients to be treated with pain meds because of all the drug seekers such as people looking to get high, and fakers out there. I've been on pain meds for so long I get no "high" or different feeling from them what-so-ever, and wouldn't no matter how much I would take. That's fine by me, I take them for the pain which thankfully they still help with although not as much as they used to. Good luck to you all dealing with your UA's.

The Following User Says Thank You to keli13 For This Useful Post:
Stupid feet (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

And good luck to you! Hope it works out the way you need it to cathy

Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #22
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid feet View Post
Well, apparently, since my last UA in July, my PM switched labs and I just got a EOB
From the new lab which says I owe over $2200 from the one I took in December.
I asked the PA about it during my last visit last week and he said "don't pay it"
I'm not comfortable with that because I have perfect credit and I'm not willing to have my credit affected by this. I'm recovering from a major foot/ankle surgery & will get on the phone to the labs when I feel up to it. The whole thing is just rediculous, we have to live every day in pain and then we have to pay thousands of dollars to prove we're following rules. I'm sick of it.
Hi stupid feet, I had to see a pm twice when my dr went hospitalist then thank God took me back as a pain patient & saved me from the pm/anes money making schemes.One of them was a urine tox screen that was sent by the pm out of network & i received a bill for $2500.00. I stayed on the phone for hours trying to find a way for future monthly urine tests to be sent in network & thought that i had a working plan at last. On second visit the pm didnt ask me one question & didnt examine me he just stuck his head in the door & announced " Idk what I was thinking you cant take X amount of narcotic that i originally prescribed, scheduling esi's for next week, giving you 2 weeks of meds then we will have a real office visit after the injs in 2 weeks, bye" . I talked to office personnel @ check out about urine test bill & getting it done in network & was informed that it wouldnt be sent anywhere other than the exact same lab & dont pay bill they would take care of it. Ran back to my old dr & now 3 months later i receive bill from lab with $1500 balance, my insurance paid $27.50. & the lab wrote off $972.50 already, i dont go to that dr anymore, have perfect credit & absolutely cannot pay $1500 even in payments. So, i have to call lab or write them or my insurance & idk what to do. I am
closely following your progress with your bill & i truly understand how you feel & need ideas as well.

Last edited by gmak; 01-31-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typos

Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #23
(female)

Stupid feet HB UserStupid feet HB UserStupid feet HB UserStupid feet HB UserStupid feet HB User

Gmak, I called the 1st lab and they knocked the 1st bill from $1085 to 325.51. That's still rediculous but much better. Called the 2nd lab and they took off $1899, making the bill $330. $650 out of pocket for 2 UA's is unacceptable and I'm going to talk to my doctor about it when I see him on the 13th. It's just one thing after another, isn't it?
Let us know what happens with your bills.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #24
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid feet View Post
Gmak, I called the 1st lab and they knocked the 1st bill from $1085 to 325.51. That's still rediculous but much better. Called the 2nd lab and they took off $1899, making the bill $330. $650 out of pocket for 2 UA's is unacceptable and I'm going to talk to my doctor about it when I see him on the 13th. It's just one thing after another, isn't it?
Let us know what happens with your bills.
Hi stupid feet, Thanks! After so many years & so many dr bills I hardly have the wear with all to even call! I am so grateful to be back with my dr however the last appt he mentioned doing urine test just for his documentation sometime in the future & it took alot to keep my mouth shut about this so that i didnt "shoot the messenger"! I will let you know what happens when i call the
insurance first, then the lab then the dr i think or maybe the lab then the dr then the insurance!Lol Good to "see" you &
thanks.

Last edited by gmak; 01-31-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: typo

Old 01-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #25
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

I know a real cheap alternative (LOL). Get arrested and received parole, they'll do a regular urine test every visit to your parole officer - free of charge. What a deal! I think it's a pretty good idea except for that sticky arrest part, know what I mean?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #26
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
I know a real cheap alternative (LOL). Get arrested and received parole, they'll do a regular urine test every visit to your parole officer - free of charge. What a deal! I think it's a pretty good idea except for that sticky arrest part, know what I mean?
Haha!! Great idea

Closed Thread