It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
(female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User
Generic Opana ER ?

My pharmacist said the Opan ER are available as a generic in the old formula. I don't crush or abuse so i don't care WHAT form they are in I just want to save some MONEY. Is this true and if so WHEN will they be on the self ?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User
Re: Generic Opana ER ?

I'd love to know if anyone has the knowledge. Thanks!

Last edited by Whoopee; 01-23-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I just read that the new generic wont be available til 2023!! Cathy

Last edited by noevr; 01-23-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I was able to find an article writing about it, but since we aren't allowed to post links, I guess the best I can say is that I found it from a search for "Opana generic", and it is titled "Generic Opana Painkiller Coming to U.S." and dated Dec/12/2012. It has info that a generic Opana and Opana ER that is not tamper resistant (and therefore still under patent) would be allowed to enter the market on Jan/02/2013.

The manufacturer was trying to fight it, under the basis that they stopped making it due to the abuse potential. You'd have to ask your pharmacy as to if they can actually get it, and if it would actually save you money. Also keep in mind that it may not work exactly the same, whether in strength or length of action.

Some generics can still be very expensive, and some insurance plans may not switch over their formulary right away, if at all, as some will oddly favor a brand over a generic for some meds, or favor certain meds over others. Yes the crush-resistant one (which came out last year) has a patent until 2023. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
noevr (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Maybe it was the crush resistant I found I will call phmacist in am right my co pay is 40 and I know you can go to their site and print off a dru g card but mine expired. Cathy

Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

Hi NC-

It would be interesting to see if any pharmacies decided to carry the generic forms of Opana.

3 months ago I went to my usual Pharmacy to refill my meds and when I got home I noticed they had given me a "new" generic oxy/apap, I didn't think much about it cuz I always get generic, except one of my meds is brand name which my Doctor gets Auth,. Well every time i needed my BT(the new oxy generic)it didn't help at all=the whole month, and i get vicious "attacks" every nite and the rescue meds,which don't help alot-didn't work at all-was beside myself in agony,all i could do was wait it out-something was not right. thought well maybe my tolerance is the issue-then refilled again following month-same new generic,like a fool I didn't complain-and again= I suffered when i needed them for rescue-I ask husband does he think it's due to tolerance-he said so you were taking the other generic(they were endocet)and they helped you just fine and you think your tolerance went up from one day to the next,that doesn't make good common sense. So I called my pharmacy and told them they were giving me generic form of percocet previously,the endocet 10 and they were really helping me. Now you are using a diff generic brand and after using them past 2mos they are inferior and I have really suffered, there seems to be no oxycodone in them=could you please order the endocet back for me? He said no they won't order them anymore because too expensive.

They are both generic. my copay is same for both but that generic that I complained about is cheaper for THEM, so what if the quality is substandard let alone I told him I suffered because he changed the endocet to another generic by a co. i have never heard of nor could find on internet.

And I called around to many other pharm stores they all either stopped carrying it because it wasn't "cost effective" and switched to another generic.either a pharmaceutical co i never heard of or one i new that sucked also. I got my Doctor's ok to fill my Percocet prescription, and I rec'd the generic Watson. Later that nite I needed my rescue medicine, I took the Watson brand oxy/apap 10 and it helped me (gratefully) better than the generic Endocet. I was right all along pharmacies are getting crappy generics cuz it's cheaper for them and we the patient SUFFER-over generic meds.

I read that Generic medication is supposed to be equal in regards to the active ingredient,same amount as Brand Name-Then I read somewhere else(MIND YOU BOTH ON THE FDA about generic drugs)that the generic has a 20% leeway. If you are getting 20% less of lets say, your pain medicine; and you suffer from intractable pain from a terrible traumatic accident where you were nearly crushed to death, 20% I think is a lot.

You have to be careful you dont get a crappy generic or you will suffer=when someone who manages CP has a difficult/bad day, you notice the slightest change. So beware of the generic Opana-they may not want to carry it-forget the patient-are they going to make enough profit is more important it seems. But this was just my experience. Maybe i am exaggerating.

Best wishes that the Opana works out for you.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-10-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi thanks for the info but when I was on Percocet my friend told me about this so one month I tried asking for the real deal and I couldn't tell the sufferance and I was on 10/500 too. Hopefully it will be the same for the Opana but if I get anothe drug card online I won't need to ask for the generic anyways it will only cost $15 instead of $40 . Thanks again cathy

Old 01-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

Thanks for everyone's input. I will say, as I have before, all generics are not created equal! I've had pharmacists look at me funny but I will tell you there is no question some just don't work as well as others. So, it doesn't surprise me to hear others dealing with this issue too.

I am a little leary of trying a new generic Opana, just because of the fact that if it isn't as effective and I'm stuck with 30 days worth, I will suffer. I'm not sure I can take that chance.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
(female)

The generic Opana ER is available to be shipped January. He said he will order me the generic form next month. My generic co pay is 12.00 brnad name WITH co pay card is 64 for Opana Er. My doctor increased me from 20 mg to 30 mg because the new formula didn't work as well as it did before they changed so I am hoping this increase will work with the generic form. I have generic immediate release for my BT and have no problem with them

Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

The 20% in regards to generics is with the inactive ingredient. The main one (active ingredient) has to be the same in all ways. This is by law as there are people who are on blood pressure meds, cancer meds, heart meds...

A generic drug is the same as a brand-name drug in dosage, safety, strength, quality, the way it works, the way it is taken and the way it should be used.

FDA requires generic drugs have the same high quality, strength, purity and stability as brand-name drugs.

To even be approved by the FDA a generic medication:

contain the same active ingredients as the innovator drug(inactive ingredients may vary)

be identical in strength, dosage form, and route of administration
have the same use indications

be bioequivalent

meet the same batch requirements for identity, strength, purity, and quality

be manufactured under the same strict standards of FDA's good manufacturing practice regulations required for innovator products

I know that some people react differently to the inactive ingredients. For me, I have also not had any issues with any generic I have ever taken in the last 11 years.

NCM, glad you will be able to get the meds that you need and inexpensively soon!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Actually, that 20% thing is a common misconception. Take a look at the following: The 90% confidence interval of the log-transformed ratios of generic drug to brand name drug must be within 80% to 125% of one another to be bio-equivalent. A common misperception is that generic drug levels can vary by 20%–25% of the brand name, but in reality, to meet the 90% CI requirement, generics are unlikely to be near the boundaries of the 80% to 125% acceptance standard. So yes there will be some dose variation allowed, but its not supposed to be very much. Nonetheless, its enough that some people definitely notice it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisegirl For This Useful Post:
noevr (01-24-2013), Whoopee (01-25-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

hey nc-

I dohope the new generic opana is up to par as far as the active ingredient; i am sorry but "lilcutedog" is incorrect, the 20% leeway is long known by most folks and it's the active ingredient-I certainly wasn't hallucinating when i was taking the generic endocet and then my pharmacy suddenly changed to some other generic that was quite noticeably not anywhere near as strong as the also generic endocet. doctors commonly will ck off DAW on some pt's rx -like say for "heart meds" because of this.

Just go look for yourself and you will see in black in white, the paragraph addressing the 20% leeway for active ingredient. 20% leeway for the inactive ingredient wouldn't even matter if that were the case. I(and I suspect most)am only interested in the amount that is suppose to be in the active ingredient. NC what you should do before you get the generic is find them on internet and look up amount of active ingredient and then go to Opana's and compare active ingredient; then you will know what to expect for sure. Good Luck

Old 01-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #13
(female)

Impax is commencing shipment of Oxymorphone HCl Extended-Release Tablets through Global Pharmaceuticals in 5mg, 7.5mg, 10mg, 15mg, 20mg, 30mg, and 40mg in 30-, 100-, and 1000-count bottles. As per the terms of the deal, Endo granted Impax the license to sell generic version of Opana ER from January 1, 2013.

The Following User Says Thank You to ncmommakat For This Useful Post:
Whoopee (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

I don't know about you but I am nervous about switching. It's not like I can get a few days worth to see and then decide it it works as well, it's 30 days; period. If you do get it, or anyone for that matter, would you mind coming back to the boards and reporting your experience. Much appreciated!

Old 03-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
(male)

Robert0305 HB User

I take Opana each day for pain stemming from combat wounds. After the medication was reformulated I got less pain relief from it and had digestive problems. It took years after I was wounded to find a medication that helped me as much as Opana and also left me clearheaded so I didn't want to change meds or have to take any more of it. I called CVS and spoke with my pharmacist 4 or 5 days before my refill was due and asked them to order the generic for me. I went in this afternoon and they had the generic for me. So I don't have to change meds, nor increase the stregnth or number of tablets, and I'm saving money as it's generic not the very expensive nrand name. So, it is currently available in all stregnths from Global Pharma which is Impax Labs generic wing. I hope this info helps you and saves you some money and gives you good pain relief. Best Wishes. Please feel free to email me if I can help further in any way.

The Following User Says Thank You to Robert0305 For This Useful Post:
Whoopee (03-08-2013)
Reply Reply