It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
(female)

tobetterdays HB User
Nucynta questions

Hi all I have various medical problems ranging from bulging discs, crohns, fibromyalgia, myofaschial damage, arthritis, tmj, migraines and more. Anyway I lost my doc about a year and a half ago and started seeing a new doc who immeditely took me off the mscontin I was on and had been for years. Had to be retested for everything again. And now he is starting all over on meds that didn't work before or triggered my crohns. My pharmacist tried to get him to leave me on the mscontin but he wouldn't. So far he's had me on effexor, cymbalta, lyrica, and a few others I can't remember the names of. I had also told him I couldn't take anti-depressants because they make me feel like I'm losing my mind. Finally got through to him on that one, or so I thought. Other meds I had been on are naproxysen, neurontin, toredol, bu trans patch (not a complete list but all I can remember right now) and now he has prescribed me Nucynta CR 50-100mg. I'm hearing stories about this drug having similar peoperties to anti-depressants and withdrawals are way worse than the withdrawal from mscontin. Anyone taking this and are you happy with it?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
Re: Nucynta questions

Been taking nucynta since October. Very happy with results. Going to start titrating down next week when my SCS gets turned on. Taking 250mg ER twice a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I'd give it a try. Everyone responds differently to meds. I tried the short acting version of Nucynta once and it made me dizzy, but was helpful (and it was a much lower equivalent dose than I usually take). I might try the long acting version down the road since my doctor thought it wouldn't have the side effects so much.

I wouldn't worry about any med supposedly being worse than another for withdrawals. Typically they don't put someone on a long acting narcotic with plans for them to go off of it. Additionally, a slow enough taper will minimize withdrawals from any med, and you can always switch to a different med to taper off.

By the way, there are other adjunct meds besides anti depressants. I also don't do well on them. Most folks will get the best pain relief by combining several treatments, such as a pain med, adjunct med, and alternative therapy. I am curious why though your doctor wouldn't re-start you on the MS Contin now that he is ok with you being on a narcotic. Only thing I can think of is that Nucynta is supposed to be less likely to be abused than some of the others. Hope you find some relief. Best wishes.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
One of the benefits I am having with nucynta is that it helps me with constipation. Online at 1 site, people rated it above average for pain meds.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
(female)

Tammy3234 HB User

My doc recently prescribed Nucynta to try and help me with my fear of becoming addicted to pain medicine. I hate taking and of it because of the side effects, and Im am very affraid of the addictive qualities that I have heard so much about. I cant tell you if it actually works or not, as I am allergic to it!! However, from what my doc has told me, it works as well as percocet does for the pain, it just doesnt have the side effects that most narcotics do. Its expensive though. (or more so than hydrocodone or percocet)
I have gastroparisis, ulcerative colitis, osteo arthritis, degenarative disk disease and 2 buldging and one herniated disks. Will be having a disk replacement and spinal fusion next month. I truly hope it works well for you.
Best of luck!
Tammy

Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
(female)

inpain2013 HB User

I was on nucynta for a month. My doctor decided I had been taking ms contin for so long it was probably the reason for my increased pain. This medication was a miracle for nerve pain. I also liked that it didn't make me drowsy. The problem that I had with nucynta and many other medications I have tried is severe nausea. If I could have tolerated it I would still be on it. It relieved my pain much better than the other medications I have tried.
Good luck!

Closed Thread