It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
(male)

MrPCMan HB User
IV pain management

HI, sorry if this was posted somewhere else...my pain doc has "fired me" as I couldn't tolerate any of his pain pills, even Fentanyl the "miracle" pain patch, LOL.

I have lost 20 pounds and that took away the constant pain I had in my lower back, however I still have mobility pain. This from the OA in my lower back and right shoulder at 51.

The last comment to me from pain guy was "I would recommend a tertiary treatment by IV from an Anesthetist (sp?)" not sure what this means but he said go see your GP I will give her the information. Anyone know what kind of pain management that is?

thanks.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User
Re: IV pain management

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPCMan View Post
HI, sorry if this was posted somewhere else...my pain doc has "fired me" as I couldn't tolerate any of his pain pills, even Fentanyl the "miracle" pain patch, LOL.

I have lost 20 pounds and that took away the constant pain I had in my lower back, however I still have mobility pain. This from the OA in my lower back and right shoulder at 51.

The last comment to me from pain guy was "I would recommend a tertiary treatment by IV from an Anesthetist (sp?)" not sure what this means but he said go see your GP I will give her the information. Anyone know what kind of pain management that is?

thanks.
Were you *complaining* about your med schedule?Or did you ask for other/diff meds?

Confused(

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
(female)

ctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB Userctrue HB User

Quote:

thanks.
I looked it up online and I cant find it. Are you sure thats how to spell it? Im guessing if it is iv its probably like and epidural or block done in your back to numb the nerves in the area you hurt, but I am not positive. Sorry I cant help more.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
thanks.
Hi mrpcman, I see that you are from Canada & that reminded me of something that i have read about that i dont think that we have in the US but it is done in Canada & might be what the dr was referring to. Patients that have very cruel debilitating pain unrelieved by any narcotic medicines are put in a ketamine trial, it may be done with other medicine this is just the one that i have read about, in the hospital they are given iv ketamine for 3-4 days & if it helps their pain it is prescribed for them to take at home usually a liquid.These patients are desperate, often with caregivers & spend most of their time in bed from the trials that i have read
about. Is there any chance that he could have been talking about an intrthecal morphine pump trial? I hope that everything works out for you

Last edited by gmak; 02-01-2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: question, typo

Closed Thread