It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 05:38 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

maysee HB User
Wink What's the difference??

Good morning. Can someone please tell me what's the difference between MS Contin and Oxymorphone?? They sound the same to me since they both are different types of Morphine. Or, maybe they're not.. Please share any experiences or knowledge of these 2 medications. Thank you.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User
Re: What's the difference??

I'll be happy to tell you what I know since I see no one has responded yet. Also, there's a ton of great info on the web.

MS-Contin is long acting morphine. Personally, I was Rx'ed it many years ago and I had to make a change pretty fast. Not only did it not give me the level of pain relief I needed but I had a few side effects I couldn't deal with. However, Oxymorphone is what I currently take and it works pretty well. It too is long acting (12 hrs.). From what I've read oxymorphone is the generic name for the drug, just like hydromorphone is the generic name for Dilaudid. The "brand" name for oxymorphone is Opana ER. I believe there is also a instant release version called Opana IR.

I hope this helps you a little and please search the web for more detailed answers to your quesion. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

like Whoopie said-there is a ton of good info about these to meds on the web-keep in mind while morphine(mscontin) and oxymorphone(opana) are potent narcotic analgesics;
the oral form of both lowers the bio-availability substantialy; making them weak pain relievers as opposed to LA oxycodone which retains a much higher bio-availability when taken orally.

I suffer severe enough pain and found that info out AFTER i was prescribed them and couldnt understand why they were not helping me; although they do help other CP patients-pain is subjective and everyone's is different. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa. good luck

Last edited by Administrator; 05-16-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Agree with the others said, especially that each patient will have quite different results. I can give an example that there have been some meds where I was prescribed double what a conversion chart would say was appropriate and yet I was getting little pain relief. It is so individual for pain relief and side effects. Are you having a medication decision, or were just curious?

I can also add that MS Contin is only one of the morphine formulations...there is also even longer acting long acting forms (Kadian, which is now also generic, and Avinza), plus short acting forms (usually just called morphine IR). MS Contin would typically be dosed every 8 or 12 hours, Kadian every 12 or 24 hours, and Avinza every 24 hours. And yes, oxymorphone is sold as Opana, and comes in ER and IR formulas. The ER version just went generic, and is typically dosed every 12 hours. Best wishes.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

maysee HB User
Cool Re: What's the difference??

Ok. Thank you very much. I'm asking because the 2 "stronger" pain meds my insurance will cover are MS Contin and Fentanyl Patches. The first one I tried was MS Contin. It just made me really drowsy and hardly any pain relief at all. How could that be? I mean it's Morphine! So, right now I'm on the Patches. I really don't like how zombied out I feel on them. Yes, I do get pain relief, however, the way it interacts with my antidepressant, Paxil, I end up feeling depressed half the time. I'd much rather be taking a pill form for pain relief because it just seems "safer" considering how the Fentanyl patches work for me. I need to stay as "with it" and productive as I can because I'm not taking them to get high, I'm taking them for just enough pain relief that I can still take care of my responsibilities. I watch my 3 month old grandson every day for my daughter while she works full-time. These answers to my post have helped alot, so Thank You so much! And I google everything, so thank you for that reminder! Different medications effect different people in different ways, and it's probably just that simple. MS Contin just doesn't provide me with a substantial amount of pain relief. But, I WANT it too. Lol. Reminds me of that Rolling Stones song. "You can't always get what you want. But, if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need." Lol. Thank you alot for these responses. Very much appreciated!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

I'm not sure how long you took the MSContin but most of the time the side effects of meds will go away after a month or so.

I made the switch from OxyContin to MSContin years ago when the generic went away and it definitely caused nausea and a lot of fatigue in the beginning but now it's fantastic and I don't have any effects. It's also a very "smooth" delivery in that I don't feel a thing but a decent amount of pain relief. I didn't think it did much to start but once I was on it for that month I found it did a great job!

I am prescribed them every 8 hours and just to show how different we all are and how my PM is one to go slow and only tirate up if needed. I went from taking 120mg a day of the OxyContin and we started at 75mg of the MSContin...

That was pretty much plenty for me although on bad days I may take the full 90mg but if we had used the "standard" conversion chart another Dr. would have started at 130mg of the MSContin but because many meds will hit a bit different receptor in the brain and you will have a lower tolerance to any new med....I always believe in starting low first.

Of course the 130mg would have worked REALLY well and taken my pain to a 2-3 but my PM and I like to shoot for the 50% rule for an opiate as we use many other modalities to help with my pain and if this is going to be life long issue of pain management, I want to leave as much room to go up later in medications.

I use everything from daily exercise, yoga/stretching, TENS unit, massage, acupuncture, ice, heat, injections, steroids, counseling, biofeedback, physical therapy, aqua therapy, eating well and maintaining a healthy weight, no smoking, etc...

As well as I have an actual muscle relaxer, Flexeril, to take when I get the bad spasms. I am lucky to not need a nerve pain med anymore after my last fusion but used to be on Cymbalta.

My point in mentioning all of this is because it's very important to not just rely on the opiate to do all the work of getting someone to a 5 or so on the pain scale.

So I don't pay much attention to all the other meds as far as what works for others or what is "stronger" or not (besides the Fentanyl patch which is at the top) as I think the other ER meds are all fairly equal when getting to the mg that works for each person.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
(female)

Vimy HB User

Opana ER has a generic? My pharmacy just told me today that it doesn't. The pharmacist told me the Opana ER does not have a generic, but the Opana IR does. I guess the generic would be called oxymorphone ER? I have no idea. I was on Vicodin for years, then Oxycodones, then MS Contin, but the morphine constipated me and caused me stomach problems. I started the Opana ER this last month and I haven't been constipated yet, and no stomach problems. I'm thinking I will stick with the Opana ER and ask for Opana IR for breakthrough pain. The only problem is the cost. So I am really interested in finding out about generic Opana ER. Thanks in advance to anyone who clears this up for me.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

Oxymorphone is similar to morphine. The main difference is how the drugs metabolize in your system. I've been on MS Contin and MS IR. Now that I am on the fentanyl patch, I have MS IR for breakthrough pain.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
(female)

Paininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB User

Yes it does come in generic now. Its been, at least in my area, here for about 2 months now.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

Are they like the old ones or are they as hard as plastic, like the newer ones. BTW, I swear the newer ones actually do have plastic on/in them, similar to the Oxycontin change that was made a few years ago. I heard (relayed by my pharmacist) so many complaints of upset stomachs and nausea with the newer Oxycontin. For the love of God, could these companies just make a pain medication that actually works and isn't made of such crazy materials they make folks sick? I ended up switching to Opana only to have it happen again. Sort of like "Groundhog Day". It all just gets so tiresome after all these never-ending years of PM.

Sorry for the rant but I recently had such a horrific 24 hours with my neck where the pain was so bad, I just wish I could have put it all to a permanent end! Not really goin' there but I'm just sayin'.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
(female)

Paininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB User

I believe the generic Opana does have an "abuse deterrent" but I'm thinking its like the original version of Opana not the newest one. My husband said they work better, like they used to before they changed the formulation. I hope that helps. 8-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Paininohio For This Useful Post:
Whoopee (05-14-2013)
Closed Thread