It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #16
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User
Re: Get off fentanyl with withdrawls?

My first question would be why do you feel like you have something hanging over your head with the patch? Has somebody made a negative comment about your pain management? I ask because if you're getting good results with a patch, I wouldn't be too quick to want to abandon it. One problem with going to oral meds alone out of concern for control is that you likely won't find the same relief. I tried the same thing after wearing the patch for several years. I developed a rash that I thought was due to the adhesive, so asked my doctor to switch to oral meds. I wouldn't take the meds until the pain started going up, so the morphine had to first counteract the increase in pain, then go to work on keeping my pain down. I finally went back to the patch, as the rash was actually due to fragrance in the laundry soap. I'm in no way advocating one medication over another; I'm not a doctor. I only know that the patch provides continuous relief for me that I can't get in a pill. You might want to explore why you think wearing a patch is somehow causing you to lose control over your meds. I don't discuss my meds with family/friends, because everyone has an opinion and it can be detrimental for me to listen to all the negativity from people who have no idea of what they're talking about. Best of luck.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
(female)

5alive HB User5alive HB User5alive HB User

I would not give unreasonable advcie about meds.If i did please forgive me.
The pain relief you get with fentanyl is beyond all med for pain.
as a women,it didn't work for me(again not as a pain med)it is excelent.spelling oops
It was hard to play with my grand children in the pool,and try to feel pretty as you run out of the best spots.my upper arm released pain better.maybe only in my brain.at that time i was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

The biggest reason I stopped.i took care of my mom.i didn't want her to know i was sick.not a sob story,but my sneaky mom would have seen my patch when i bathed her.
alot of times i just skim through reading.alot of people do.
i would never give medical advice. i didn't say the pain releif wasn't the best.it was awkward, but comming off is horrable cold turkey i can say that. i would never unnesisarily hurt someone with a coment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #18
(male)

murphwi HB User

I have been on the 100/hr patch and actiq then Fentora (for only 2m). I was on the 100/hr for months and honestly probably one of the best working meds I can remember. But then I couldn't get the sticker only kind anymore and I start getting the ones with the GEL in them and it was an instant slap in the face change AND over the course of the 3 days it would start to fall off very quickly and you could see that the screen if you want to call it that (what the medicine leeks through) was plugged with dead skin sells. It also left a 1mm thick nasty glue like square on you.

So I said enough and he backed me down to 75 then 50 then different med.

Now I have gone cold turkey several times off of HUGE doses of medication and I can tell you this... You do NOT want to go through that BUT if you have to start taking Imodium AD early BEFORE you get loose bowels. It is an opiate that does not break the brain blood barrier (therefore no high) so they don't control it. It does however still stick to the wall of your intestines and may have other reasons for helping with withdraw.

Of course consult your pharmacist to make sure it is safe for you to take the medication however because half the people treat chronic pain sufferers like addicts you may or may not want to tell him you are using it to beat withdraw.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #19
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Just going to add something regarding his comment on wanting to use a hot tub or hot baths. I am on the patch and love and need the hot tub and hot baths as well. Of course you can use them when you are changing patches, take one off, take a bath or use the hot tub and then put the new patch on. Another option I use and it probably won't be for everyone, is if I am at a point where it's NOT time to change my patch and I really could use the hot tub or bath, I take my patch off, save it, take the bath or hot tub then put the SAME patch back on with a bioclusive or Tegaderm. Granted it's not the best solution but if you use your hand and allow the body heat to reinstate the glue and then put the cover back over, the patch is almost as good as new. To be honest I have never noticed a difference when I have done that but you may not get as good pain control. But it's a compromise for people who want to take hot baths or hot tubs but wear the patch.

Closed Thread