It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

dutchgalT HB User
Change in Meds/Pain unbearable

I've never posted here or anywhere for that matter before, but I'm lost, feel hopeless, and am hurting like hell. Four yrs ago a doctor injected my neck and shoulder with Botox for spasms. He went too deep and injected into my lung and caused a collapse. The pain wrapped around my chest and of course my breathe was difficult to catch. I had no idea what.was happening.
After 5 days in the hospital the partial neumothorax improved, and slowly the chest pain began improving.,However about a week after my release an horribe sharp pain hit me in the center of my chest. I thought something bad was happening again. That center of chest pain has rarely left me since. I've had so many tests. So many. Many injections, many steroids, tens unit, one year at a PM doc, 5 or 6 at another 300 miles away.
As far as meds the progression led to to 2-40mg of an sr and 2-30mg of an er. Finally I could funtion and wasn't living thinking what was the point if it was going to be this. Before it was to the realization that.every day would be filled with pain and nobody can help you. The hopeless place.
Well, I'm way back there now. Worse than ever. I went to get my script and my doctor of 20yrs was gone, and thete was no prescription. The other docs wouldn't write one without an apt. Next apt wasn't for 2wks. I made the apt anyway. Suffered for 3days and ended at the er. The doctor there felt horrible. She said it should've been handled better and she knew I'd been on it for along time and had a pain contract. She took care of it until i had the apt.
I went 3 days ago. He tells me i have to choose. That WA law says i cant be over blah blah and choose. Choose between your left arm or your right arm. Which works better?
Ya know, I've never failed a test, which ive taken 3 of in 6wks...really? Wow. I gotta pay for these. I've never asked for my meds early....I pickup 29 or 30 days. I've never played games. Nothing. I'm trying to survive. I'm so angry that people that don't have pain, that you see on tv selling, stealing, whatever have made doctors afraid to treat their patients.
I got so desperate that I allowed them to cut 3in off the bottom of my sternum. On the chance it might work. Now I'm sitting here crying on and off in pain, afraid, my doctor is gone for idk another month. I had to choose and now he gave me 2-40 immediate release is so not good. 16hrs out of the day are so rough and I don't know what to do. My husband doesnt understand. Leaves you feeling really alone and going places in your head you shouldn't. I don't know what I'm asking, i have no idea what to do. I don't feeling like this. I really miss who i used be and i forget what it was like not to hurt.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: dutchgalT
kittkat (03-09-2013), Qtpye78 (04-17-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

kittkat HB Userkittkat HB User
Re: Change in Meds/Pain unbearable

I'm sorry you are hurting so badly. May I ask why they cut 3" off your sternum? This is exactly why I didn't want an epidural in my cervical spine, I was afraid of complications which they said could happen...no thank you! I really do understand how you feel about treatment you get from some Dr.'s Making you feel like an addict, it's such a shame those of us who have real pain issues have to suffer while others are out there abusing the system. I am about to make my first appt. with a PM Dr. and I am afraid of the whole contract thing, I had no idea you had to jump through such big hoops to get relief. I hope you will be feeling better soon, good luck

Old 03-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
(female)

dutchgalT HB User

Thank you for replying. It means alot. One of the doctors I was sent to was a heart/thoracic surgeon. He had an idea that I may have injured it during a car accident the ziphoid at the bottom of my sternum. He suggested that if I removed it the pain may go away. I was sceptical but hopefully because I knew I hadn't injured it and the pain started after the lung collapse. The only thing that ended up happening was a nice 3in scar between my breasts. There isn't much I wouldn't do if it was suggested by a reputable physician. I don't think I can stand anymore steroids because I notice my hip is becoming affected. I've maxed out every year plus. I hope your apt goes well with the pm doctor. All we want is to be able to live some sort of life that is acceptable. I haven't expected pain free in a long time but to be able to do normal things would be good. I have 3 grown boys and an 11 yr old and I feel so bad for him. I don't do what I did with the older boys by far. What's way worse is I just was thinking I haven't smiled in 3 days and really haven't talked much. That's not fair to him. It's just wrong. I didn't ask for this but worse yet, neither did he. One thing I suggest is write down everything you want to get across to the dr. I made that mistake when I was caught of guard and am paying the price right now.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
(male)

Realdeal101 HB User
Angry Re: Change in Meds/Pain unbearable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgalT View Post
Thank you for replying. It means alot. One of the doctors I was sent to was a heart/thoracic surgeon. He had an idea that I may have injured it during a car accident the ziphoid at the bottom of my sternum. He suggested that if I removed it the pain may go away. I was sceptical but hopefully because I knew I hadn't injured it and the pain started after the lung collapse. The only thing that ended up happening was a nice 3in scar between my breasts. There isn't much I wouldn't do if it was suggested by a reputable physician. I don't think I can stand anymore steroids because I notice my hip is becoming affected. I've maxed out every year plus. I hope your apt goes well with the pm doctor. All we want is to be able to live some sort of life that is acceptable. I haven't expected pain free in a long time but to be able to do normal things would be good. I have 3 grown boys and an 11 yr old and I feel so bad for him. I don't do what I did with the older boys by far. What's way worse is I just was thinking I haven't smiled in 3 days and really haven't talked much. That's not fair to him. It's just wrong. I didn't ask for this but worse yet, neither did he. One thing I suggest is write down everything you want to get across to the dr. I made that mistake when I was caught of guard and am paying the price right now.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear dutchgal, I didnt see your post until today. Im so sorry this is happening to you, i also had my dr of 12 years leave pm last fall & the experiemce i had with 2 pm/anes was an expensive nightmare. My dr took me as a pain pt, thank God but ive been in excruciating pain for 2 days & i shouldnt be because i have my er & ir meds, but im crunching with #8-10 pain. I so pray & hope that the dr who you have a bond with returns so that you can be "normal" for you again. Its been several days since this thread started & i wondered if you had found a dr yet, are you better yet, did you get your medicine?

Last edited by gmak; 03-19-2013 at 08:24 PM.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
(female)

dutchgalT HB User

Thank you for responding and your caring. Nothing has changed for me unfortunately. I made a call to the clinic the day after my appointment to schedule my next one before the month ended and not surprisingly he had nothing for a month and half. They made one with another physician at another clinic that was on the 18th. It was early but I was very thankful because I'm not doing well. I can't sleep past 3 or 4am, I haven't cooked a real meal for my family, I'm not getting dressed, not cleaning to any acceptable extent, etc. My life that was already limited has virtually stopped and I'm hurting so bad every minute. Thoughts of a future are daunting to say the least. The female doctor told me that I have to continue with the physician I say last time, period. I explained I couldn't get in and also that things are awful. She called him and got me in a the month mark and having already met him I know he won't put me back where I've been for 4yrs. He stated that new State law says a pain patient can't be over 120mg but he brought me to 80. He also said I was at 320 something. I was at 140mg, so I dont know what he was going by. He said it could only stay where i was if i were in the care of a PM doc. Then told me that there was none for over 250miles. I was in the care of one for over a yr and traveled another 150miles for 6m to see another before my vanishing doctor of 20yrs was holding my pain contract that started this nightmare. So, sorry long story but that's where I am now. I hope things go well with you. I have endless compassion for those who suffer with things that can't be changed. God bless and you health.

The following user gives a hug of support to dutchgalT:
kittkat (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dutch gal, This is quick & i will get back to you but my TENS saved my life last fall when i was waiting for an appt with new dr. I wore it on high/ 24/7 but idk what i would have done without it.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

There is a lot of confusion about the new rules in WA state. They were probably talking about morphine equivalency, which is often how doctors compare pain med doses. What medication are you on? Glad you at least got some increase, but sorry you are having so much pain as your dose is lower than you were used to.

Yes in WA now when you are over a certain dose per day, and receiving your meds from a doctor who isn't certified in pain management, you have to follow up with a pain doc at certain intervals. They didn't think it out too well as there is already a shortage of pain docs (plus folks like you who live so far).

Definitely ask them to clarify so you have a good understanding of what you may be required to do. I think its ridiculous to have that sort of dose threshold as everyone has different tolerance. I think everyone who is on long acting meds should be seeing a pain doc, but sometimes that just isn't possible.

I had to see four pain docs to find one willing to continue my treatment. Most of them here want to get people off pain meds, not use them as part of a treatment. In fact, they had no other reasonable suggestions for me (only re-trying things I had already tried, or literally nothing). Thankfully I have a good pain doc now in the Seattle area, but who knows for how long things will go well. Best wishes.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
(female)

dutchgalT HB User

I was on 2-40mg Opana er and 2-oxycontin 30 ir daily. I am now 2-40 oxycontin op which I think is er. I get to hour 4-5 and pain is right back to not being helped. Before I lived at a 2-5 now it's 5-8. I've never said 10 in my 44yrs. Through a life of broken bones, surgeries, migraines, &, multiple childbirth and c-sections I've never said 10. That should be saved for missing limbs or some God awful thing. At this point I just don't know what to do or where to turn. I would trade years of my life itself to return to 4 yrs ago and feeling human again. Can't go back though and now stinks. I resent having to take a pill to get through my hours in the day and resent even more the people that put us in this position by abusing the medicine that helps us. Because my doctor that cares about me is awol this new doc only wants to cover his own butt and gave no solution, just cut me down and will do it even further. WA is only the beginning, it will be this way everywhere. They need to have PM doctors available in major cities. You would think Spokane would. We're the largest city around, short of going 400 miles to Seattle. I know when I see him on the 4th nothing will change. I don't even know if saying how this month of "life" has been is been is even worth wasting my breathe. Thanks again for your reply and compassion. Many best wishes.

Closed Thread