It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
(female)

smrarr HB User
Pain management coccyx/lower back

I am looking for any suggestions as to how to handle/manage pain from the coccyx region. I believe I must have some type of coccydynia from long ago. Over the last 10 years, I have had random flare-ups of intense lower back pain that last a few days and involve intense "tweaking" like pain when going from sitting to standing, standing to sitting, lying to standing. During these spells, I can't bend down without the sharp pain in the lower back and just having to walk oddly to keep from the "tweak" experience.

Last week, after sitting in a chair at a conference for a full day (I teach and am almost NEVER sitting down), my tailbone was extremely sore. I had the same pain during the week whenever I sat, but the intense pain started Saturday (yesterday). I could get around with dull pain as long as I didn't have to change posture. Overnight it became unbearable. This morning I was on the verge of passing out/vomiting multiple times when trying to get up or walk to loosen up my back. I also began having mucle craps wrap from my lower back to my lower abdomen. I am dreading sitting (have stood up most of the evening) and know that tomorrow morning will be miserable.

With that in mind, I went to urgent care knowing that there was probably nothing much to do aside from pain management at this time. The doctor prescribed hydrocodone/acetaminophen 5/325 mg taking 2 tablets every 4 hours as needed and diazepam 5mg 1 tablet 3 times a day. My problem is: 2 1/2 hours into my first dose of those, I have had absolutely no change in pain. Does anyone have any tips/advice on how to manage this type of pain? Does this dosage sound like it is appropriate for the condition? I am truly dreading waking up tomorrow and worry that these meds will provide no relief. I know medical advice is the best, but I'd love to hear any first-hand experience and just know I'm not alone! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
(female)

kittkat HB Userkittkat HB User
Re: Pain management coccyx/lower back

Hi, I went through the very same pain as you for about 20 years! My pain was so excruciating it made me cry sometimes & I never took anything other than Naproxen which tore up my stomach. I finally had an MRI & it showed my Facet Joints in the that Riegin were twisted. It is horrible when it flares up which is usually do to overexertion. I would defininetly go to your Dr. & discuss having an MRI. Good luck to you

Old 03-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

I too have had that kind of pain for over 20 years. I am on fentanyl and even that sometimes does not touch the pain. But I have found a miracle. It's a compounded pain crème. It has 5 ingredients, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, ketamine, amiltriptyline and carbazapine. I swear I rub some on and in 15 minutes the pain is gone!

Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
(female)

kittkat HB Userkittkat HB User

Where do you get this cream, is it a prescription or OTC?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

The crème is a compounded prescription med. A rheumatologist gave it to me years ago. My new rheumy had never heard of it but since the pharmacist knew the ingredients, my doc called it in. I know how much of all the ingredients except for the ketamine, but the pharmacist should be able to figure it out. It's Ibuprofen 2%, Ketoprofen 5%, Amiltriptyline 2%, and Carbazapine 2%. Then they mix it with some kind of crème and you just apply topically. It takes only a very small amount so it lasts for a very long time, literally years. Again, the only medicine I don't know the percentage for is the ketamine, but the doc should be able to figure it out.

Just an FYI, with all the attention on meds lately, my doc didn't want to order it with the ketamine so he ordered it with the other 4 ingredients and it did nothing. So the ketamine is a major part of the pain relief and the pharmacist confirmed that. It's such a small amount and because it's topical, it does not affect you in a negative way unless your skin is allergic to one of the ingredients.

The Following User Says Thank You to Boxerluver For This Useful Post:
kittkat (03-19-2013)
Closed Thread