It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

hurtinseattle HB User
Stolen pain med's- what do I do?

My whole family came over on Monday night including my aunts, uncles, cousins and their spouses along with a couple of new sufficient others that I hadnít met yet.
I had surgery last week and I had my pain killers in a locking jewelry box next to my bed. My mom went and got me my pain medication at 7 and than I didnít need another does for the night. When I went to go to bed I went to go and take some more pain killers and the whole box was gone. I called my mom and she said that she locked it up and put the key back in my nightstand. The key was still there but my box was not.
I have been a pain patient for 8 months now due to really bad problems with my knee. Back in the beginning I had an issue at work where I was taking my pills with me and left them on my desk. The whole bottle disappeared from my desk when I went to a meeting. I reported it to my work and to the police but there wasnít anything that they could do. This was about 6 months ago and I had become really careful since this happened. Before than I never thought that anyone would take someone elseís prescriptionÖ But this showed me otherwise. I didnít bother to hide my locking jewelry box however in my own homeÖ the thought never occurred to me. Well now I feel like an idiot and I donít know what to do. I have been without pain medication with my last does being Monday at 7. I just had surgery to remove a tumor in my stomach and a partial hysterectomy one week ago and the pain is still really bad along with the knee painÖ it is not good! I am due for my refill on Friday since I would have been out on Saturday anyway. I know that my doctor is going to be mad at me because he is always telling me to be careful with my medication. I am not sure what to do here. I donít want to file a police report on this one because I have no clue who in my family did this and I donít want to go around accusingÖ my mom already called my aunts and they got offended at just that.
So what do I do about this??? I donít know if I can make it 2 more days in this intense pain?
Thank you for your response!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
Re: Stollen pain med's- what do I do?

hurtin-

If I were you I would WAIT til Friday-it is only the day after tomorrow,not even 48 hours-I would take the pain rather than TELL my doctor your story-don't due it. You know for sure you will get the refill on Fri-right? But you don't know what your doctor will due-perhaps deny ANY further refills..........which is worse?

Get your medcations on Friday-hide them, lock them up-this time I am sure you won't leave in open(even in your own home!omg)any obvious sign that you have something(pain meds)locked in that lil box sitting on your nite stand.

This is sickening and I know day after tomorrow seems like forever when your in pain. But you can do it-you must do it. Do not call your doctor and tell him your meds have been stolen again-I promise you he probably won't believe you(even if mom back's you up).

Besides that-you couldn't of had more than a few pills left if you were going to be out by Sat-So don't risk any chance your relationship with your doctor could be severed and you d/c as a patient over a few pills.

good luck-and be careful. When it comes to any type of narcotic medication-keep them private.

Last edited by BB07; 03-20-2013 at 02:26 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BB07 For This Useful Post:
Qtpye78 (04-17-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

I agree...I would not bring this up and just push through until Friday...Since you've already made it this far...it's only another day.

Otherwise they are going to lose all trust in you as they expect us to be solely responsible for our medications as they are controlled substances and could literally kill someone who takes them. So it's just the same as keeping a loaded gun out in the open and we have to think of it exactly like this.

I've been in PM for over 11 years now and have never had anything lost or stolen. For you to have this happen twice in just 6 months...it will go on your medical records and then make it likely that no Dr. will prescribe these type of meds for you again.

It doesn't just affect you, it also affects the Dr. if they have a patient who is having this happen often or if they give more medication to you.

Truly not trying to scold at all...just explaining how seriously you need to take this type of medication.

We appreciate you sharing this story as it may help someone else make sure that their meds are completely secure...

Good luck....

Old 03-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

Daggone! That is some lowdown nasty behavior by "someone"! Who in the heck goes into someone else's bedroom, looks down at the safe and says, Aw well, I'll just take the whole damn thing? UFB!

I know it goes against the grain a bit but I'd tell the doctors. Even if they won't do anything, I'd do it to vent if nothing else. They'd probably hear your anger and believe you. Seriously, I know you can't pick your family but WOW, knowing you just had surgery and then not stealing a pill or two but the whole darn safe they're in is just beyond my comprehension. I'm so sorry this has happened to you and I really do feel your pain. I hope you make it as long as you need to!

Old 03-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
Unhappy Re: Stollen pain med's- what do I do?

This kind of stuff just really fries my behind. People give no concern to the consequences when they do crap like this. Just makes me loose faith in mankind.

I agree with the others and do whatever you need to to get to Friday. It just is not worth what could happen. I too have been in pain management over 12years and have never lost or had my meds stolen. IF you hadn't reported the other one, I would maybe say report it, but probably not. A few days without meds is no comparison to loosing pain management.

One time I thought I lost my script. I was walking down from the doc's office to my car. They handed me my scripts and I started walking out the door and ended up talking to a few people instead of taking the time to put them where I always put them in my purse so I know where they are. I looked everywhere, retraced my steps, nothing, both my LA and SA were no where to be found. I remember sitting in my car wondering what to do and deciding that even though it was going to be the month from hell, it was better than risking my years in pain management. Thank God I found them in a small pocket in my purse.

Hang in there, you are almost to your refill! You can do it, maybe get a foot massage or head massage tomorrow. I know you can't have a full body because of your surgery, but maybe that will help you relax a little.

Sorry this happened

Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Suck it up. Say nothing to the Dr. Buy a safe that can, at a minimum be bolted to the studs in the floor. A thief can get any safe open or out given enough time especially if no one is home, but never ever leave meds in something, even locked, that is small enough to walk out in a pocket or purse. Relatives who bring guests you have never met should be treated as strangers in this situation. I would also recommend convincing everyone that you might ever have told you have meds that you dont have them any more. Tell them surgery cured you, a new pt method, injections, whatever. I had my meds stolen from a locked desk drawer (yes I'm sure) from inside my purse. I reported the theft at work, but only the cash that wasalso missing. My purse is now secured out of sight with my own lock and my meds stay with me at all times at work.

Again, I would not say anything to the Dr. He/she is obviously security concious and youve alreadry reported one theft. Two days without is much better than being dismissed, many docs would have done that the first time.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Since when do we advocate dishonesty with our doctors? For any reason? What happens if she goes in on Friday and gets tested? Then what? She tells them when they pop a urine screen on her that her meds were stolen? They won't believe her at all then........
They might not believe her but in my opinion she should have called the doctors office the very next morning and she should have contacted the police, at least she would have a report, to give to the doctor, which would help back up her claim. Family does not treat family that way, come into your home and steal from you , and if they do, they certainly deserve a visit from the police to shake a little fear into them. Maybe it will make them think twice, because I would certainly not ever invite them back into my home again.
If she gets popped for a urine screen now, with no meds in her system and she didn't protect her doctor by letting him know that the meds were stolen, or by filing a police report to document her story, then it might be one of those situations where they will dismiss her anyway, but I wouldn't pretend that everything was normal-and hope that she doesn't get popped, surgery or not, those tests can come up at any time- in fact I just watched another patient at my doctors get tested for the 4th month in a row when I was there the other day.....so if I were the original poster, I would be honest and let him know, and take whatever options that he offers as far as what stipulations he puts on the meds at that point.

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #8
(male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User

What my PM made very clear to me at my first appt was that if I lost my Rx, or if my meds were lost or stolen he absolutely would not, could not replace them. Still he DID REQUIRE ME TO NOTIFY HIM asap. Reporting it to the police would be my choice, but he thought everyone should. While he could not replace them, he would likely give his okay for my PCP, if willing, to give a small hold over Rx.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

ferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB Userferd144 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhurtz View Post
Since when do we advocate dishonesty with our doctors? For any reason? What happens if she goes in on Friday and gets tested? Then what? She tells them when they pop a urine screen on her that her meds were stolen? They won't believe her at all then........
They might not believe her but in my opinion she should have called the doctors office the very next morning and she should have contacted the police, at least she would have a report, to give to the doctor, which would help back up her claim. Family does not treat family that way, come into your home and steal from you , and if they do, they certainly deserve a visit from the police to shake a little fear into them. Maybe it will make them think twice, because I would certainly not ever invite them back into my home again.
If she gets popped for a urine screen now, with no meds in her system and she didn't protect her doctor by letting him know that the meds were stolen, or by filing a police report to document her story, then it might be one of those situations where they will dismiss her anyway, but I wouldn't pretend that everything was normal-and hope that she doesn't get popped, surgery or not, those tests can come up at any time- in fact I just watched another patient at my doctors get tested for the 4th month in a row when I was there the other day.....so if I were the original poster, I would be honest and let him know, and take whatever options that he offers as far as what stipulations he puts on the meds at that point.
100000% true....don't lie to your PM,as its the fastest way to dismissal IMO

GL,
Ferd

Last edited by ferd144; 03-21-2013 at 04:51 AM.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

I am not saying to lie in any way shape or form. If they do a urine test or pill count that day then they need to tell them what happened and they have been without meds since then. But because this person said they did not/are not calling the police and reporting this theft, then I don't see what use it is to do anything about it as they are not trying to get more meds early....they are just going without until the next prescription is filled.

I just think in this particular case as it's the second time that it's happened....that they are already suffering the consequences of their actions by being without the meds.....that I would just not bring it up unless there is a urine test or pill count.

If this person had come on within hours of this happening and they filed a police report, than absolutely I would have told them to contact their Dr. right away...We are already days after this has happened. And as mentioned, because they aren't trying to go to the ER/Urgent care to get more meds...or trying to fill early to compensate.....I would just learn a very valuable lesson this time by letting them know just how dangerous this could have been by someone od'ng on their meds and that they MUST file a police report asap if this were to ever happen again.

Just my own thoughts on this one particular situation.

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 03-21-2013 at 06:53 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ilovemycutedog For This Useful Post:
gmak (03-29-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I wasnt advocating lying to the Dr. and should have said it this way : get your contract out and do exactly what it says to, to the letter. If you are tested you will have to tell them the meds were stolen, in this case it would have been better to have a police report in hand from the date they were stolen. However I would not vent to the Dr., call hoping they will replace, or anything else of that sort. If you have to report it do so and do not bring it up again outside of what is absolutely necessary.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tiggertoo2174
gmak (03-29-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

dear hurtin-

How are you doing? Almost Friday.......do not let any of these post guilt trip you into calling your doctor-you are not being dishonest....you are taking responsibility for yourself, I am certain your PM contract(you have one rt?)states somewhere if your meds are lost or stolen thy won't be replaced, I doubt it says to go ahead and report it to me if it happens though.

ANy one can file a police report-it proves NOTHING-unless you caught the thief red-handed. I seriously doubt you will be tested Friday before you get your meds or do you have a dated rx that can be filled Friday-even if your going to the office to pick up the prescription I doubt they are gonna U/A you so post/operatively -and if they did-then of course you would have no choice and tell what happened and the reason I would tell my doctor that I was ashamed I let someone take my medicine-but I was in my own home and they were in my bedroom!! locked up, and I decided I would just try and get through this until I could refill them.

But I feel with all my heart you will be fine-I would be beyond mad, crazy ballistic mad, angry-no doubt you are- but trust me when I tell what goes around REALLY does come back around-2 fold-karma will catch up with this selfish sob.

praying for you, good luck

praying for the culprit too-he/she could end up a chapter in our pm book....

Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Several months ago right after picking up and filling my new month's scripts,
I asked my son to throw away empty boxes. Well he grabbed all the boxes and did what I asked. Two days later when I went to change my patches, I found that he had thrown out both boxes of the patches. I went to my doctor's office to tell him in person. While I knew according to the contract he would not replace them,
I felt that I needed to let him know. He replaced the patches and told me that he did it because he had never had any reason to question my honesty and he appreciated the fact that I didn't try to pretend that norhing happened .

Old 03-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
(male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User
Backhurtz Has A very Nice Doctor!

I don' know about NY, but in NC that meant a good amount of paper work and added documentation for your doctor.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Backhurtz Has A very Nice Doctor!

I'm sure it did and I certainly wasn't hoping or expecting him to replace them for me but he did because he trusted me and that what I was telling him was the truth.
I guess I look at it this way, I've spent a long time building a trusting relationship with him to do anything that might give him reason to doubt me. And that includes not telling him something that could have an impact on him as well.

The following user gives a hug of support to backhurtz:
ferd144 (03-21-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (03-21-2013)
Reply Reply