It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
(male)

innerspirit HB User
pain pills better or pain patch

I used to be on the fentanyl patch 25umg for multijoint avn. My pain dr decided it was better to be on percocets 4 times daily. Recently because of a fatty liver he has me on oxycodone 10mg 3 times daily. Now however my pain is no longer under control , in fact the 3 pills barely touch my pain. I'm thinking of asking him for a change back to percocets or maybe the fentanyl. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
(male)

kerry573 HB User
Re: pain pills better or pain patch

you have developed a little tolerance to the pain meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi innerspirit, You do mean avascular necrosis right? Im not sure if i understand correctly but were you changed to all short acting narcotics because of fatty liver? Imho i think 10 mg percocet would be worse for the liver because of all the acetominophen. There is short & long acting oxycodone without acetominophen, oxyIR & oxycontin & both come in generic. Avascular necrosis is extremely painful in my understanding & are you seeing a pain mgmt dr & an ortho or what kind of dr are you seeing?

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
ferd144 (08-21-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
(male)

innerspirit HB User

Yes I mean avascular necrosis of both arms, and hips, right ankle and knee which are next as far as surgury is concern.I have a pain med
Problem on the horizon as no one wants to do any more surgury on my shoulders as the results may be worse but yet they don't want to prescribe strong meds.

doctor but Is very conservstive with meds. My orthopedic surgeons have retired moved or no longer in practice which creates a problem for me ss far as getting meds to control my pain. Hi everyone Innerspirit here.So far I have a neurologist, a pain management, a general practice doctor and s gastroenterologist.

The following user gives a hug of support to innerspirit:
gmak (08-22-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
(male)

innerspirit HB User

Yes I mean avascular necrosis of both arms, and hips, right ankle and knee which are next as far as surgury is concern.I have a pain med

Problem on the horizon as no one wants to do any more surgury on my shoulders as the results may be worse but yet they don't want to prescribe strong meds.

doctor but Is very conservstive with meds. My orthopedic surgeons have retired moved or no longer in practice which creates a problem for me ss far as getting meds to control my pain. Hi everyone Innerspirit here.So far I have a neurologist, a pain management, a general practice doctor and s gastroenterologist.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
(male)

innerspirit HB User

Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
(female)

Budgiegirl HB UserBudgiegirl HB User

Due to lousy medical care, I had many venous strokes which left severe neuropathic pain. One stroke resulted in severe spinal damage. As such, pain is part of my life. My main diagnosis is cerebral venous thrombosis (right hemisphere) and my pain meds are both short acting and llong acting. Long acting pain meds consists of fentanyl patches, and I would give up everything else before I gave up the patches. Nothing completely makes the pain disappear, but the patches make me human again. :-)

The following user gives a hug of support to Budgiegirl:
innerspirit (08-22-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
(male)

innerspirit HB User

What dose are you at and how long have you been on them and for what? Thanks for reading and hope you answer. Innerspirit.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi innerspirit, First i have never known someone that took so very little opioids when they are fighting avascular necrosis & i do understand the PM dr being so conservative due to all the decades he will have to treat your pain in the future & considering tolerance. There are people that have orthopedic drs that specialize in treating avn & maybe two heads are better than one in striking a balance between one dr wanting the extreme pain treated more aggressively & the other dr, the PM dr , wanting to hold opioid use to a minimum. I think if i were you i would want to have a chance to get the wisdom of both drs & hope this balance may result in better treatment & pain relief. I wear fentanyl patches for 13 years for another extremely painful condition & have had no trouble but i do think that i was put on extreme opioid or very potent too soon & the result is i have a higher level of narcotics needed than maybe what i could have gotten by with less. I would definitely request a med with no tylenol & would want long acting opioid medicine with short acting for breakthrough. Im so sorry for your pain & hope that you obtain relief soon! God bless you!

Last edited by gmak; 08-22-2013 at 12:01 AM.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #10
(female)

Budgiegirl HB UserBudgiegirl HB User

For the neuropathic pain in my head and the spinal pain (sciatica and docs compression). I am on 100 MCG fentanyl patch every two to three days with codeine for breakthrough pain. Used to use fiorinal, but I have an enormous tolerance for medication. I have used the patches for eight years and I work at making sure I don't build up a tolerance to the patches, tho' I fear I have a little.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
(male)

innerspirit HB User

Innerspirit here. In my situation I was being treated for ulcerative colitis. They had me on prednisone for 4-6 months. Two years later my shoulders and left hip started hurting. I would have it checked and they would talke xrays would not find anything wrong. A year later a doctor did
an amri and a bone scan and found multi

i

bone avascular necrosis and put me on permanent disability. The doctor was trying to save my colon but at the end I lost it anyway and ended up with the additional problem of avn.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Innerspirit, Im so sorry, i am in remission from UC! Sorry you lost your colon & now avn! Thats terrible. My gastro told me that UC & back pain, bone issues were the worst 2 things to have together because what meds you give for one hurt the other & pain affects uc so badly. I hope you find relief fast.

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
innerspirit (08-22-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
innerspirit (08-22-2013)
Reply Reply