It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User
tizanidine - makes things worse?

My doctor just prescribed tizandine for me starting out at a 1 mg 3x a day and gradually increasing to 2 mg, 3 x a day for neck pain. My neck muscles are really tight and causing a lot of pain due to TMJ issues I have.

Anyways, I took 1 mg yesterday afternoon, it seemed to help a little but two things hapenned which have me concerned. First about 3 hours after taking it, I noticed some mild tingling on the tip of my tongue - the last time I had tingling on the tip of my tongue it was an allergic reaction to another drug and my lips swelled up. So is tingling on the tip of your tongue a normal side effect of Tizandine?

Second, while it seemed to help at first, I fell asleep at 8:30 slept like a rock til midnight and when I woke up my neck muscles felt tighter than they were before and I was in a lot of pain and I wasn't sleeping in any weird position. I couldn't sleep for the next 2 1/2 hours.

Can tizanadine cause some kind of rebound affect? Normally sleeping helps my neck muscles relax and when I finally got to sleep and woke up this morning my neck felt better than it did at midnight.

Between the 2 events I'm really hesitant to try it again and to increase the dosage.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
(female)

Robocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB User
Re: tizanidine - makes things worse?

It's not a side effect of the med that I know of, but it could be low calcium or MS. Perhaps an allergic reaction. I would check it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB UserCanuck65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocat View Post
It's not a side effect of the med that I know of, but it could be low calcium or MS. Perhaps an allergic reaction. I would check it out.

Thanks for your reply. I spoke to my pharmacist about waking up in pain at midnight and he thought it could be due to the fact that the medicine had worn off by then though I don't know why it would be so severe. I know I don't have MS - I've been tested. I am concerned about the tingling on my tongue. I had a previous drug allergy reaction which started with a tingling on my tongue. Anways, not sure what to do. Will probably speak to my doctor before starting it again.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Dear canuck, First i do have a condition that my sp cord is squeezed so i have numbness, tingling, etc anyway but when i was taking tizanidine &/or baclofen the "buzzing" like electricity or vibrating , tingling was in my mouth, tongue, teeth, face & my dr stopped both meds. I definitely called my dr because an allergic reaction can get worse with each dose & too risky especially when there are many other muscle relaxers.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmak View Post
Dear canuck, First i do have a condition that my sp cord is squeezed so i have numbness, tingling, etc anyway but when i was taking tizanidine &/or baclofen the "buzzing" like electricity or vibrating , tingling was in my mouth, tongue, teeth, face & my dr stopped both meds. I definitely called my dr because an allergic reaction can get worse with each dose & too risky especially when there are many other muscle relaxers.
Thanks - that's my concern that the tingling on my tongue is a sign of a potential allergic reaction and it wasn't worse because it was such a low dose at 1 mg. Allergic reactions to drugs scare me - I've had a couple but so far they've been minor but you never now how your body is going to react. My problem is that I'm allergic to Flexeril, Bacoflen made really really depressed after being on it for a few months so I had stop, so that's why we tried Tizandine. I'm on clonazapam and maybe I should increase the dose. I'll talk to my doctor to see if she can come up with any other ideas for muscle relaxants.

Thank you for your reply and take care.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User

After having problems with several muscle relaxers including Tizandine, my doctor put me back on our old stand by for muscle spasms - Valium. 1/2 to 1 ten mg tablet twice daily.

It works really well for me and surprisingly doesn't make me tired or goofy (Soma made me really goofy!).

Maybe he could try something like that. I know a lot of doctors use valium for muscle relaxers when the traditional ones don't work.

Hope you find the help and relief you need.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I'd agree to be cautious as it sounds like you have the potential for an allergic reaction. I take Tizanadine nightly. Sometimes I do get weird effects from it. I take 4 or 8mg at a time and it can knock me out at times, but then other times I'm find. I think it varies a lot depending on how much food is in my stomach.

It can also make me dizzy sometimes if I have to get up to pee. It doesn't seem to help my neck much anymore; I've mostly stayed on it as a sedative, as my doctors won't let me have any true sleeping pills, and I didn't care for the other meds we tried for sleep like older anti depressants.

If your doctor is already comfortable prescribing Klonopin, it may be worth seeing if an increased dose is helpful. Do you find your current dose helpful? My doctors also haven't let me try it as I'm on high dose opiates and there can be an interaction with benzos. Best wishes.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotty667 View Post
After having problems with several muscle relaxers including Tizandine, my doctor put me back on our old stand by for muscle spasms - Valium. 1/2 to 1 ten mg tablet twice daily.

It works really well for me and surprisingly doesn't make me tired or goofy (Soma made me really goofy!).

Maybe he could try something like that. I know a lot of doctors use valium for muscle relaxers when the traditional ones don't work.

Hope you find the help and relief you need.
Thanks - I'll discuss it with my doctor.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
I'd agree to be cautious as it sounds like you have the potential for an allergic reaction. I take Tizanadine nightly. Sometimes I do get weird effects from it. I take 4 or 8mg at a time and it can knock me out at times, but then other times I'm find. I think it varies a lot depending on how much food is in my stomach.

It can also make me dizzy sometimes if I have to get up to pee. It doesn't seem to help my neck much anymore; I've mostly stayed on it as a sedative, as my doctors won't let me have any true sleeping pills, and I didn't care for the other meds we tried for sleep like older anti depressants.

If your doctor is already comfortable prescribing Klonopin, it may be worth seeing if an increased dose is helpful. Do you find your current dose helpful? My doctors also haven't let me try it as I'm on high dose opiates and there can be an interaction with benzos. Best wishes.

I found 1mg dose I took I felt little dizzy getting up from lying down etc - I think that's one reason why she started me out at low dose. I was also surprised that I didnt feel particularly sleepy - it seemed to have a weired delayed effect - 6 hours later it hit me and i went out like a light. But I appreciate your comments and the other ones here two that the tingingly sensation might be a sign of an allergic reaction. I think I have to trust my gut on this one - it reminded me so much of the reaction I had recently.

I might talk to her about increasing the klonopin. I'm on fairly low does -. .75 mg during the day and .5 mg at night. When I first started taking it help alot but I built up tolerance to it quickly.

However, I've been hesitant to increase the dosage because I was diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea in April and klonopin or any muscle relaxant I think can make that worse. My sleep doctor said he didn't have a problem with me taking a thearuputic dose of klonopin of up to 2 mg at night - he doesn't think my sleep apnea was that severe that such a dose would make things worse. The problem is that I wake up in the middle of the night gasping for breath with heart palpitations and this happens regularly, most times palpitations are moderate but on occaision they have been more severe - once I went to emergency it was so bad. I had my heart checked and its fine out and both my sleep doctor and the cardiologist insist that based on the sleep study the sleep apnea shouldn't be causing the heart palpitations. I feel like I'm going crazy. The only thing I can think of is that klonopin and perhaps my neck is spasming and the two are combining at times to aggravate the sleep apnea. The palpitations at night started just when my neck pain started to really get bad and when I increased dose of klonopin from .5 mg to .75 mg at night (and that point I was taking any during the day). The palpitations were not captured on the sleep study or the heart tests as far as I can recall. Anyways, I've decided to try a CPAP machine - and going to get tested for it Saturday night (fun way to spend the long weekend). I'm not sure how its going to work - concerned that the mask may aggravage my neck pain and facial pain from my TMJ and I also wear a night gaurd which always makes my mouth dry and afraid CPAP machine may make it worse. But I won't know until I try it out. If I can make it work for me and the heart palpitations go away I would be more comfortable increasing the Klonopin.

I appreciate your comments and feedback. Will keep plugging away. Have a good long weekend. Thanks again.

Reply Reply